Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American airlines sues mechanics unions

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2019, 9:57 pm

Programs: Priority Club PLT, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
Came across this at DFW the other day. Was attached to an FA's luggage. I get supporting your fellow union folks, but to me, displaying this out in the open is pretty tacky.
Attached Images  
bchandler02 likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; May 30, 2019 at 12:17 am Reason: Obscure employee name per Rules
Old May 30, 2019, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by GunsOfNavarone
Also want to ad I was on a maintenance delayed flight yesterday (Monday 28MAY2019), ORD to DFW. I was sitting in the second row of FC. The flight was delayed for mechanical, and yet it seemed like nothing was "wrong". Received a text delayed from 0800 departure to 0830. The flight attendants just sat down in the jump seats. I was asked if I wanted another flight at 0815, something that has never happened to me before (I would of missed my DFW connection with the delay). AA at ORD had a supervisor at the gate,was reviewing PAX connections, and offered to pull me off the flight and take another flight to reach my final destination (not going through DFW). I checked later in the day and found this 0800 scheduled departure left the gate at 1100.

Seems to me, the ORD AA employees knew what was going on- that maintenance was in zero hurry to get this aircraft going. And AA management at ORD was taking proactive steps to fix what they could- kudos to them.

On a positive note, I had two AA flights today, one mainline and one regional, both were on time.
Was it AA2428 on Monday, at 8:05 am? If so, I was there as well in row 4! I wasn't connecting so ended up staying on the same flight, but yeah, in retrospect I should have tried to SDC to another flight...

Pilots initially reported the mechanical as hydraulics issues, so we de-boarded and waited for about an hour for the new boarding time, at which point they said they would need a substitute aircraft. Went over to another gate for the new aircraft but then was told at the last minute for the new boarding time that we had to go back to the original gate, because we would need to get back onto the original aircraft. Apparently they could not use the new aircraft because the mechanics had to deactivate the cargo doors to fix the hydraulics, so could not be offloaded. So then we waited until the original aircraft was ready and took off 3 hours later...

Most of the frequent flyers in F seemed to be suspicious about the whole story, but most of the plane was otherwise taking it in as a one-off maintenance issue (but were still pretty annoyed about the changing gates/planes every time right at the boarding time). That said, the gate agents were great -- they were hustling the whole time to take care of connections and made sure to bring out the snack/drinks cart meant for delayed passengers.
Old May 30, 2019, 6:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by SpeedRicer
Most of the frequent flyers in F seemed to be suspicious about the whole story, but most of the plane was otherwise taking it in as a one-off maintenance issue (but were still pretty annoyed about the changing gates/planes every time right at the boarding time). That said, the gate agents were great -- they were hustling the whole time to take care of connections and made sure to bring out the snack/drinks cart meant for delayed passengers.
I had a two hour delay the other day on MX. The gate agents were definitely hustling. Lots of people were missing connections and getting stuck. Lots of anger at AA. I confess I started showing the video and lots of people at the gate were watching it.
Old May 30, 2019, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by SpeedRicer
Was it AA2428 on Monday, at 8:05 am? If so, I was there as well in row 4! I wasn't connecting so ended up staying on the same flight, but yeah, in retrospect I should have tried to SDC to another flight...

Pilots initially reported the mechanical as hydraulics issues, so we de-boarded and waited for about an hour for the new boarding time, at which point they said they would need a substitute aircraft. Went over to another gate for the new aircraft but then was told at the last minute for the new boarding time that we had to go back to the original gate, because we would need to get back onto the original aircraft. Apparently they could not use the new aircraft because the mechanics had to deactivate the cargo doors to fix the hydraulics, so could not be offloaded. So then we waited until the original aircraft was ready and took off 3 hours later...

Yes, that was the exact flight. You likely saw me leave, I grabbed my overhead bag and coat, and left pretty quickly. I was off the plane 15 minutes after the original departure time
once my sense that this was a "memorial day gift" from the AA mechanics to AA leadership. Sorry you had to wait three hours, on and off and back on the same aircraft- all because senior leadership can't find a way to lead.... just manage, and that does not do well with powerful union mechanics.
SpeedRicer and wrp96 like this.
Old May 31, 2019, 1:11 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by GunsOfNavarone
Yes, that was the exact flight. You likely saw me leave, I grabbed my overhead bag and coat, and left pretty quickly. I was off the plane 15 minutes after the original departure time once my sense that this was a "memorial day gift" from the AA mechanics to AA leadership. Sorry you had to wait three hours, on and off and back on the same aircraft- all because senior leadership can't find a way to lead.... just manage, and that does not do well with powerful union mechanics.
That was great thinking on your part! Unfortunately I was hungover from Indy 500 weekend, so I fell asleep and then woke up when we had to deplane. At first, I thought we already landed in Dallas...
wrp96 likes this.
Old May 31, 2019, 10:11 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts discussing the relative pros and cons of unions in general have been and will be summarily (posters will not be notified) deleted. Those posts are best suited for OMNI/OR than in an airline forum.

Old Jul 12, 2019, 11:50 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
There's an update to this story:

A federal judge slapped the American Airlines mechanics unions with new, heavier restrictions that could include fines and other discipline for maintenance workers who turn down overtime and off-site assignments.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...s-cancelations
I think it's ridiculous, frankly, that if overtime is 'voluntary' that the judge can order the union officials to discipline employees. I wouldn't want to kill myself doing overtgime for a company that hasn't agreed to a contract in FOUR YEARS.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 11:56 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Not wanting to take this into Omni territory and get into the pros/cons of unions, but it does raise an interesting question: If the union and company cannot agree, why does the company keep using that union? If this was a random supplier that kept delivering bad service or product, they'd be out the door. Can, and if so, what does it take to eliminate that union and hire non-union staff in place of them?
Old Jul 12, 2019, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by bchandler02
Not wanting to take this into Omni territory and get into the pros/cons of unions, but it does raise an interesting question: If the union and company cannot agree, why does the company keep using that union? If this was a random supplier that kept delivering bad service or product, they'd be out the door. Can, and if so, what does it take to eliminate that union and hire non-union staff in place of them?
A company doesn't get to pick and chose which union to use or if it wants a union on the property or not. I can guarantee you that if AA had the option of having a union on the property or not, they'd go with the latter.
C17PSGR, wrp96 and robertablake like this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
I believe there have been some other union drives as members seem less than enthralled with IAM-TWU as well. But no movement thus far. AA cannot unilaterally kick IAM-TWU out - the only options to my knowledge are
1. The members choose different representation
2. The judge finds that IAM-TWU intentionally violated the TRO, sticks them with high fines that bankrupt the union. This happened in 1999 with the pilots (https://www.nytimes.com/1999/04/16/b...6-million.html) , however AA ended up going back to the negotiating table in lieu.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
A company doesn't get to pick and chose which union to use or if it wants a union on the property or not. I can guarantee you that if AA had the option of having a union on the property or not, they'd go with the latter.
Originally Posted by Antarius
I believe there have been some other union drives as members seem less than enthralled with IAM-TWU as well. But no movement thus far. AA cannot unilaterally kick IAM-TWU out - the only options to my knowledge are
1. The members choose different representation
2. The judge finds that IAM-TWU intentionally violated the TRO, sticks them with high fines that bankrupt the union. This happened in 1999 with the pilots (https://www.nytimes.com/1999/04/16/b...6-million.html) , however AA ended up going back to the negotiating table in lieu.
What prevents AA from hiring a non-union mechanic for example though? Can they legally do this and there just aren't any non-union mechanics to hire, or is there more to it?
I realize the members have options from their end - but what I am trying to learn about is what prevents the company from bypassing them?
Old Jul 12, 2019, 1:23 pm

I realize the members have options from their end - but what I am trying to learn about is what prevents the company from bypassing them?
The National Labor Relations Act of 1935 requires employers to collectively bargain with workers who have chosen to join a union, and it bans what the law calls "unfair labor practices" used by employers or union members to subvert or bypass the bargaining process.

The reason for this is outlined in the NLRA's preface, which can be read via the link below. Briefly, when we tried a system where workers had no real right to collectively bargain (because employers had no obligation to negotiate with their unions), the result was grinding poverty, constant cycles of boom and bust caused by wages so low that employees could not afford to consume America's industrial output, and the very real danger of a worker revolt against capitalism. In short, Congress decided to create legal protections for unions as a "conservative" measure--to conserve and preserve capitalism.

https://www.nlrb.gov/how-we-work/nat...-relations-act
wrp96, Antarius and Beltway2A like this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by lobo411
The National Labor Relations Act of 1935 requires employers to collectively bargain with workers who have chosen to join a union, and it bans what the law calls "unfair labor practices" used by employers or union members to subvert or bypass the bargaining process.
Thanks. That's the piece of the puzzle that I was missing.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 7:44 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
airline mechanics (and pilots) fall under the Railway Labor Act (RLA), not the NRLA.

https://twu514.org/blog/2018/10/05/r...s-to-airlines/

the answer to bchandler02's question is that the mechanic's collective bargaining agreement (contract) with AA limits/prevents outsourcing of work (referred to as scope)
JDiver and Antarius like this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 11:06 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
A non-contributive post and response thereto have been deleted.

Members are reminder of rule 12.1:
  • Link to this topic Top
    12.1 Friendly, Respectful and Welcoming

FlyerTalk is a community and is intended to be a friendly, helpful and collegial place.

Please post in a friendly, respectful, welcoming manner. 'Snarky,' unfriendly posts will not be allowed. If you don't have something constructive to contribute to a thread, please do not post.

Unhelpful posts, such as "Do a search" or those that merely comment on the worthiness of others' posts or threads are neither friendly nor welcoming and will not be allowed. If you can't be helpful or contribute substantive content to a thread, please refrain from posting.
​​​​​​​/Moderator
bchandler02 and Antarius like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.