Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Earning AA AAdvantage Miles on CX / Cathay (including Upgrade Issues)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 22, 2019, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Earning American Airlines AAvantage Miles Flying CX / Cathay Pacific Airways (consolidated)
Including known issues (e.g. upgrades) with AA / CX

Earning AAdvantage Miles flying Cathay Pacific Airways

NOTE: Travel on Cathay Pacific and its affiliate airline counts toward qualifying for AAdvantage elite status membership. However, please refer to aa.com here for fare classes that earn AAdvantage miles, not Cathay Pacific.
  • Economy / coach fares other than Y, B or H on CX do not earn AAdvantage miles

• B and H only earn fractional (75%) credit on AA

• Upgrades may book into ineligible fare classes, causing challenges getting AA to credit the originally purchased fare class

• there are a few fare classes that CX says do not earn AAdvantage miles, whereas aa.com says they will, as do members reporting their experiences here

• JFK-YVR and YVR-JFK do accrue EQ and miles on eligible fares. JFK-YVR-HKG accrues as if nonstop JFK-HKG.

AAdvantage Elite members members traveling on Cathay also enjoy:
  • [*]
If you fly CX as an AA codeshare / marketed flight, you will earn as if you were flying on AA.

Flying CX as CX, most discounted economy fare classes do not earn AAdvantage miles; See the chart. See Link to AAdvantage chart on earning miles and EQD flying CX.

Note: the CX website incorrectly indicates no AA miles for E fare; AA.com does and is correct

*Premium Economy fare W on a flight operated by Cathay Pacific will earn an additional 10% class of service bonus with the exception of W fares between Hong Kong and Bangkok, which will not earn a class of service bonus, and Premium Economy R or E, which earn no class of service bonus.
Upgrading to First on CX / Cathay Pacific Airways and U, Z Fare Class Issues

Upgrading a paid Business fare to First on Cathay Pacific Airways puts the flight into fare class "Z", a class that is ineligible for AAdvantage miles accrual (as reflected on the accrual chart) because it is also an award classification for a First Class award.

Upgrading a paid Premium Economy fare to Business puts it into U class, another award fare class that earns no AA miles.

Members have recently reported success at having their upgrades acknowledged as miles-garnering (mid-June 2015).

Originally Posted by BosTravel
I had the same issue. I upgraded from Biz to F using Asia Miles, but left my AA number in the reservation.

The outbound flight credited automatically without intervention.

The inbound flight did not credit and I submitted the Missing Mileage Request. That request got denied due to ineligible fare class. All I did was call the ExecPlat desk and ask for AAdvantage Customer Service, who had record of the denied claim. I explained I paid for Biz, upgraded to F, and provided them with my original ticket number (both ticker numbers were on CX stock). Call took about 5 minutes and miles (and EQM/EQP) posted to the account the next day.
and

Originally Posted by gohima
I just wanted to post the conclusion to my saga, that started with the brilliant idea to upgrade two CX flights in February (yes, 4 months ago).

Well, I Fedex'd a letter to the executive's office, which arrived Friday. Today, I received an email from an "executive liason" who said they agreed that "R" to "U" via an upgrade should be mileage earning and manually adjusted my account to receive credit. Account and status now reflects those flights.

So despite certain aagents and lower-level SUPs saying this is CX's problem and to go pound sand, AA actually can do something about it (albit at a higher level than a regular SUP, I assume). By the phrasing of the answer, I would say this isn't a one time exception but rather what is supposed to happen for these flights.

Godspeed to any other souls on this journey.
Possible snail mail or FedEx to:

Suzanne Rubin
President – AAdvantage Loyalty Program, American Airlines
4333 Amon Carter Blvd
Fort Worth, TX 76155
Thanks to nkedel.

Wikipost as of 2018
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Earning AA AAdvantage Miles on CX / Cathay (including Upgrade Issues)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2016, 3:41 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum; HHonors Gold; IHG Platinum
Y or B ticket on CX to HKG

I think the Wiki page for this post has a mistake: H fare only earns 0.5 EQM per aa's website. To me personally this is of AA's worst changes to its program. (though I can totally see why this makes sense for them...) Now almost all non full fare economy (Y, B) OW flights only earn at most 0.5 EQM. I used to opt taking a detour through HEL on Finnair from US to East Asia destination to earn those extra base (plus Platinum bonus) and EQ miles, not to mention Finnair's great service and A350s. [So much for digression...]

Anyway, my question is if CX ever sells Y or B tickets on its transpacific flights to HKG (for me to get 1 EQM). When I search and choose my flights, the Economy Flex (which seems to be the highest Y fare; cheapest PEY seats sell in E fare) fares are always displayed as H fares, which only earn 0.5 EQM. Hate to lose all these EQM towards renewing my AA status on a ultra-long haul flight...
Old Apr 17, 2016, 8:04 am

Programs: AA CK, SPG Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by fcontinuum

Anyway, my question is if CX ever sells Y or B tickets on its transpacific flights to HKG (for me to get 1 EQM). When I search and choose my flights, the Economy Flex (which seems to be the highest Y fare; cheapest PEY seats sell in E fare) fares are always displayed as H fares, which only earn 0.5 EQM. Hate to lose all these EQM towards renewing my AA status on a ultra-long haul flight...
I just don't see the point in full fare Y/B. PEY is typically cheaper, you get 1.5 EQM, and you get a tangibly nicer and more comfortable experience.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by Travelincomfort
After one call to American and three phone calls to Cathay with interminable waits on hold and conflicting information ("it should earn miles sine it's in E") the final word was that despite the E class fare it is a sale fare and no AA miles for premium economy. I canceled the booking and will try to get my $100 cancellation fee back thru other means. I'll avoid Cathay at all costs in the future.
Never have I heard of E earning less than the expected 1.5 EQM, no matter how little I've paid for it. I just did two runs to Australia last month via YVR-HKG. $1350 for PEY, booking into E. That's dirt cheap...you can hardly do economy out of LAX for that. Still earned full mileage.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by Djokison
IME Cathay often shows "earns no AAdvantage miles" even though they do. If it's an eligible fare class, I expect you to earn miles.
Yep, that's unfortunately a common thing. But you're right: miles are definitely still earned. It's based on fare class, not what you paid.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 3:46 am

Programs: AY Plat, AA ExP, NH Gold, AMEX PLAT
Furious with AA.
EXP AA and I purchased a R fare PE CX ticket.
AA just sent me an email after I sent in ALL my boarding passes and original itin showing a paid R fare (1.5)

Email states as I upgraded with Asiamiles to U fare (biz)
and therefore ZERO miles!
We appreciate your recent request for mileage credit for your travel on one or more AAdvantage® airline participants. After reviewing your request, mileage credit for these flights has been denied by the airline:

Partner Airline Flight Number Date Origin Destination Reason for Denial
Ineligible Booking Class
Ineligible Booking Class

Last edited by altitude75k; Apr 21, 2016 at 7:32 pm
Old Apr 21, 2016, 8:49 am

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by altitude75k
Furious with AA.
EXP AA and I purchased a R fare PE CX ticket.
AA just sent me an email after I sent in ALL my boarding passes and original itin showing a paid R fare (1.5)

Email states as I upgraded with Asiamiles to U fare (biz)
and therefore ZERO miles!

So angry!

We appreciate your recent request for mileage credit for your travel on one or more AAdvantage® airline participants. After reviewing your request, mileage credit for these flights has been denied by the airline:

Partner Airline Flight Number Date Origin Destination Reason for Denial
Ineligible Booking Class
Ineligible Booking Class BAD business AA!
First. This is a known issue. You have to call and go to a supervisor and then they have to submit it not as a request, but actually post and Bill CX and let it be "an accounting issue". It is a total pain. And you basically need to find a supervisor that is going to play the game for you. Via email is not going to work. it takes some doing, but it can be done.

And second, BAD business AA! Ummm. It is CX that is denying it. u email even says it.. "mileage credit for these flights has been denied by the airline:"
Old Apr 21, 2016, 9:07 am

Thank you. I did send in everything to AA and told the story.
I had this same issue with a CX ticket I bought on AA.com and was curious how the heck this can happen.
I had no idea it was CX. Lesson learned.
This shouldn't be a glitch is this day and age and have to chase miles is time consuming. Now to find a supervisor that will help me.
Cheers AAExecPlatFlier - will call AAEXP desk and start the journey.

Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
First. This is a known issue. You have to call and go to a supervisor and then they have to submit it not as a request, but actually post and Bill CX and let it be "an accounting issue". It is a total pain. And you basically need to find a supervisor that is going to play the game for you. Via email is not going to work. it takes some doing, but it can be done.

And second, BAD business AA! Ummm. It is CX that is denying it. u email even says it.. "mileage credit for these flights has been denied by the airline:"
Old Apr 21, 2016, 4:38 pm

@AAExecPlatFlier
Thank you for the advice. I called and spoke to a lovely lady Supervisor and she understood and manually input all flights missing due to CX issue and within 2 minutes the problem was solved.
VERY professional and kind. I appreciate YOUR advice and knowledge.
Yes, call in to a supervisor and have all documents sent prior.

Once again a loyal AA EXP member.

Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
Old May 17, 2016, 3:06 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Starwood, Hyatt Gold Passport, Hilton Honors, AAdvantage
Earn AAdvantage Miles on Cathay PE?

Need to book LAX-BKK RT. Usually travel EVA. Cathay has a great PE fare, but website no says AAdvantage miles earning.

A call to res says website is in error - Fare codes W, R, E do earn miles.

Anybody actually have successful experience? BTW, AA website says partner fare is eligible.

Thanks!
Old May 17, 2016, 4:00 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
This is a question about earning AA miles so I'm moving this to the AA forum.

sxc
Cathay Pacific Moderator
Old May 17, 2016, 4:04 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by jimmieg
Need to book LAX-BKK RT. Usually travel EVA. Cathay has a great PE fare, but website no says AAdvantage miles earning.

Anybody actually have successful experience? BTW, AA website says partner fare is eligible.

Thanks!
If you book the Cathay Flight number, the AAdvantage earning goes by the Cathay chart for AAdvantage. Short answer: W, R, and E do earn miles:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/e...hayPacific.jsp
Old May 17, 2016, 5:46 pm

Programs: Delta, HH Diamond, Marriott, AA Gold
I have booked in "E" on CX multiple times in the last year and you do earn AA miles.
Old May 17, 2016, 7:33 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by jimmieg

Thanks!
The CX website has been incorrect about which fares earn AAdvantage miles (literally, for years). Just pay attention to the American Airlines web page for earning on CX.
Old May 17, 2016, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by nikelg
I have booked in "E" on CX multiple times in the last year and you do earn AA miles.
Same here.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 12:13 pm

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Is it possible to collect AA miles for CX flights taken before enrollment. My friend and his gf just got back from an EU-NZ ticket booked in I and forgot to sign up to an FFP despite me telling them to do so. Should be 30k miles in total so would be a shame to lose them. If they were to sign up, could they get the miles (have e-tcket receipts but not BPs) even though they were taken in April/May??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.