Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Baggage Policy: Sports Equipment (bike, scuba, ski etc.) (May 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2019, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Special items and sports equipment link to this page on aa.com

Sports equipment

When traveling with any sports equipment, the maximum linear size (length + width + height) is 126 in / 320 cm, and the maximum weight is 70 lbs / 32 kgs, subject to the airplane size and available cargo space.

Any sports item not specifically mentioned and not prohibited will be charged standard checked bag fees up to 50 lbs / 23 kgs and 126 in / 320 cm (oversize fees don't apply).

If the equipment bag contains anything other than approved items, then it will be charged as a standard checked bag, and additional oversize and overweight charges may apply.

You may be asked to open your bag at the airport.

NOTE: This content can be expanded on the page linked to above.

Antlers
Archery
Baseball bats
Bicycle
Bowling
Camping equipment
Curling equipment
Fencing equipment
Fishing
Golf clubs
Hang gliders
Hockey, cricket and lacrosse equipment
Javelin and pole vault
Oars and paddles
Parachute
Scuba gear (with tanks)
Scuba gear (without tanks)
Shooting equipment
Skateboards
Skis (snow/water) and snowboards
Watersports boards
Tennis, badminton, squash, or racquetball
Windsurf or kitesurf

NOTE: Equipment for sports other than those specifically mentioned are dealt with as ordinary baggage, as stated above. The list of recognized sports changes periodically (Curling was added in 2018).

Liability

We will only be liable for any damage to sports equipment if:

They are in hard-sided case
The outside of the case is visibly damaged
Limits of liability can be read on the aa.com page

Print Wikipost

AA Baggage Policy: Sports Equipment (bike, scuba, ski etc.) (May 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2019, 3:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by GUWonder
[left]A separately purchased ticket for domestic travel to fulfill travel plans made in whole or in part with a Montreal Convention-covered trip are also subject to Montreal.
If you have something to support that a domestic itinerary is covered by Montreal Convention even when booked separately, would be interested in seeing it

As far as liability goes for things that AA likes to exclude - that was a given - doesn't stop AA agents using the CoC terms to try and con passengers into thinking that they have no liability - would be good if there was some penalty for doing that
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 3:49 pm

Programs: BAEC - Gold
Guys

It seems pretty clear to me that this is an area where the policy is not clear.

I’ve emailed AA, will let you know an outcome.

TFC
Old Aug 12, 2019, 6:55 pm

Programs: BAEC - Gold
To conclude this...

Initial email explaining the situation was met with a polite “no”.

I emailed back explaining the Emerald and Business allowance is already 32kg and that they have waved oversize baggage fees for bikes.

Second reply said as I’m Emerald, that counts and they will refund the charge. Apparently you need to be flying in F or be Emerald to be able to take a 32kg bike bag, even though Sapphire and Business can take a 32kg normal bag. As I was Emerald (and could send proof; I’d been upgraded since booking) they refunded the charge.

Once they said they’d refund it I gave up pursuing; I still don’t see why Sapphire/Business have to pay, according to the second agent.

TFC
Old Aug 12, 2019, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Wait, TLDR, but are people suggesting that an overweight bike bag is subject to a fee where the same traveler could check a non bike bag of the same weight for no fee? Doesn't match my experiences... even where the excess wait was noticed/flagged.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 7:34 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Whether as a OW Emerald on AA in economy class or as a OW nobody in AA first or business, when having a bike boxed in that weighs say 60lbs, I will either not be paying the overweight fee or I will be getting it refunded. With or without a DOT complaint — as long as AA is advertising things as they are.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 6:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
Surprising your gear would incur an extra fee when my golf bags do not...
Old Dec 16, 2019, 1:49 pm

From the AA site:
1 pair of skis or 1 snowboard and 1 equipment bag up to 50 lbs / 23 kgs and 62 in / 158 cm (length + width + height) count as 1 piece.

Can my son put his boots, helmet & clothes in a 62 linear inch suitcase and say it's his equipment bag and only be charged 1 piece for the skis & suitcase?
Old Jan 3, 2020, 9:28 am

Question Taking Bicycle to Spain?

In April 2020 I’m traveling Business Class to Spain from the US. Will I incur any fee if my mountain bike is in its original carton? Will have one other bag to check.
Under the present Sports Equipment Baggage Policy, what is the size and weight limit to avoid any additional charge when flying Business?
Old Jan 3, 2020, 11:50 am

Read the wiki from early. 2019 and assume I’ll have no problem as long as l+w+h of the carton is under 126” and weight is under 70#. As I’m allowed two checked pieces in Business, then this would count as one of the pieces?
Old Jan 13, 2020, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Amex Plat
Skis and equipment bag counting as one bag

AA's webpage says the following:

1 pair of skis or 1 snowboard and 1 equipment bag will count as 1 checked item. You can travel with:
  • 1 pair of skis with poles or a snowboard
  • 1 pair of ski or snowboard boots / bindings
  • 1 helmet or life preserver
Does the equipment bag *only* have to have boots and helmet in it, or can I put all of my gloves, hats, goggles, jacket, etc. into it too and still have it count as a single bag? I'm thinking of taking my ski tube (for the skis) and a regular suitcase that I will stuff will my boots, gloves, hat, googles, etc. (but will leave out any non-ski gear).

Does anyone have experience with this?
Old Jan 13, 2020, 1:40 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by tacostuff

Does the equipment bag *only* have to have boots and helmet in it, or can I put all of my gloves, hats, goggles, jacket, etc. into it too and still have it count as a single bag? I'm thinking of taking my ski tube (for the skis) and a regular suitcase that I will stuff will my boots, gloves, hat, googles, etc. (but will leave out any non-ski gear).

Does anyone have experience with this?
It varys airport to airport. I've never had them ask at JFK but I've had them be pretty strict with me at DEN. Technically it's just supposed to be boots and helmet and IIRC it's like a 25lbs weight limit for the boot bag.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Theoretically the "boot bag" can only have the boots and helmet. How stringent they are on this will depend on the agent in question, but if you show up with a large normal suitcase and claim it's a boot bag, you could definitely be asked to open it by an agent who is really particular about their job.

Having a smaller bag reduces the chance of that to near zero (IME) and you could definitely put in other stuff.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 1:44 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by DWFI
Theoretically the "boot bag" can only have the boots and helmet. How stringent they are on this will depend on the agent in question, but if you show up with a large normal suitcase and claim it's a boot bag, you could definitely be asked to open it by an agent who is really particular about their job.

Having a smaller bag reduces the chance of that to near zero (IME) and you could definitely put in other stuff.
I tried to check a Hudson Sutler weekender as a boot bag at DEN which is 12.00" x 12.00" x 22.00". It just had boots and some misc ski clothing in it. Agent made me open it up and take out the ski clothing and put it in my suitcase. It all fit and stayed under weight, but I wanted the extra cushioning in it for my Apex boots. I don't have any recent experience as of December of 2018 I became EXP and get 3 bags so I never have more than skis + boots + a suitcase.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 4:08 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Such memories.. of my younger years.. skiing for almost free (was Ski patrol ) around the world.. (well not all of it) and lugging my equipment around.. back then it seems it was never a problem to check bags, no real weight checks etc.. (mostly on AA).
Now, of course, on my second marriage... loving my wife, however she does not like to ski, but always says we can go skiing, but she will just spend the time at the lodge... (love it, but that just does not sound like fun anymore.....)

anyway.. all of you enjoy...
Old Jan 14, 2020, 8:48 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by tacostuff
You missed the part that says that
Ski + boot bag must weight less than 50lbs

The rule is the rule so not sure what our are asking.

If the question is "do they enforce it?"
Not sure what good anecdotal experience is since you may get an agent "on a power trip" that decides to enforce the rule. Murphy's law.

In the last decade and before they were very lenient. 0 enforcing.

In the last couple of years United made me once open my bags so they could verify content.

Two days ago in American (priority desk) she didn't care and didn't even weigh them.

Take your risks. Don't get mad if they enforce the rule with you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.