Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Oversold Business class on our flight this week, we lost award seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Oversold Business class on our flight this week, we lost award seats

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2019, 7:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
One actionable lesson ... avoid booking 4AB in advance on a 75 ...

I reserved 2J on a 763 recently and was seatless for a bit. I was initially told it was blocked as inop, which I then took to mean I had been FAMed. Then when I boarded, there was a woman sitting in 2J who obviously was not a FAM.

I'm guessing that there are some seats getting blocked for strange reasons -- maybe crew rest (2J isn't a crew rest seat) or perhaps because AA thinks they may need to position pilots. Pilots being positioned have a contractual right to sit in J.
bscooter26 likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 7:58 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Herb687
Yes. D1 is the highest priority of non revenue space available (NRSA) travel on AA.
In pursuit of being pedantic, D1T is the highest NRSA priority.
linglingfool likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by curranch90
Dont know if this is common, but there is also a "mandatory passport check" for a few dozen people on the flight so the gate agent line is long. Haven't seen that before.
It's pretty common if they haven't seen your passports before or haven't seen them in a while. Or possibly if they just feel like it. I have it more on BA than AA.
Old May 22, 2019, 8:22 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What unanticipated schedule changes happened in the OP's case? Did I miss something?
From OP's opening post:
Called AA and they said that the flight somehow got oversold and that "there was a schedule change that opened up your seats for someone else to book".
Old May 22, 2019, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
I finally made it to the end of this thread, after today’s thrilling drama. It looks like the flight has finally departed. I hope the OP is thoroughly enjoying the ride to EDI! I think this thread now beats the account audit thread for my favorite thread on Flyertalk.
moondog and wrp96 like this.
Old May 22, 2019, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
I would disagree with your view.

When we purchase a premium cabin ticket, it shouldn't just be an option for the airline to exercise or not to seat us in the class of service that we chose or give some minimal refund (in miles or money of at most the difference in price at the time of purchase) or possibly even just cancel the ticket and give a refund. The customer chose premium cabin travel when presented with a menu of prices, so that customer preferred the premium cabin ticket (at the price offered) to the coac h ticket (at the price offered by the airline at the time of purchase). If the person had wanted to fly in coach, he/she would have purchased a coach ticket.

More compensation is due and should be required. While obviously courts cannot force the airline to give the person a premium cabin seat on the flights that were purchased, airlines should be punished for overbooking premium cabins and forced to solicit volunteers seriously just as there rules about VDBs and IDBs for coach passengers.
Given the operational issues I've seen recently (MAX, OASIS, aircraft retirements, general IRROPS, etc.), its basically now my SOP that whenever I book a premium cabin fare - be it cash or miles, I also immediately do a dummy search for the same flights on the same day in economy to show what I would have paid had I chosen to fly in economy as opposed to a premium cabin. I then print and save that economy class dummy search.

This is especially relevant as when I book premium cabin fares, I almost always do it well in advance of my travel date. Economy fares booked in Y or H are often more expensive than discounted F. So when AA claims that they owe me nothing because the value of my I class fare is less than Y or H, I can show them what I would have paid had I consciously chosen to book in economy.
Spiff, moondog, ijgordon and 3 others like this.
Old May 22, 2019, 8:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
From OP's opening post:
Although it doesn't feel like that was true at all (the info given to the OP)-- clearly it wasn't
Old May 22, 2019, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
The OP grew some extra grey hairs from the stress, and spend 8 hours from his life trying to make sure he would fly 7 hours in J, as originally booked, with AA jerking him around until the last minute to get the J boarding passes. This is what we call a "Pyrrhic victory", or, as known in AA, "Going for great"..
Old May 22, 2019, 9:31 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Although it doesn't feel like that was true at all (the info given to the OP)-- clearly it wasn't
What actually happened? Was it that 4 A/B were originally unblocked and should have been blocked, and when those seats were blocked OP could not be given other seats because all other seats were assigned?
Old May 22, 2019, 9:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The EDI flight is in the air, about an hour late. Let's hope that no further news from the OP is good news and that they are happily enjoying their J seats over the ocean, perhaps sound asleep by now after a nice dinner and some drinks.
Old May 22, 2019, 10:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyingeph12

What actually happened? Was it that 4 A/B were originally unblocked and should have been blocked, and when those seats were blocked OP could not be given other seats because all other seats were assigned?
That's what it appears to be, yes.
wrp96 and flyingeph12 like this.
Old May 22, 2019, 11:42 pm

To the naysayers and the deniers and the hindsighters - I am a six year EXP who DID learn from this thread. No, I do not have the time to go into details but this thread was not only entertaining but very informative for me. And yes, I do value the input of some FTers like JonNYC and others (actually, even those who are wrong) - I do learn from these inputs from everyone who contributed to this thread including the OP and some who feel the urge to be contrarian.
thanks all and JonNYC, enjoy your good samaritan drink!
JonNYC, SS255, GTITAN and 6 others like this.
Old May 23, 2019, 12:04 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
One clear takeaway, JonNYC continues to unselfishly be an incredible resource.

One thing I’ve always felt, the inability to get a boarding pass is a very bad sign. Especially if the AC couldn’t, which doesn’t seem to fit the cancellation/seat opening timeline.

Amazing that some folks think Y is only slightly less comfortable than J. For me, it would mean a bad flare up of my sciatica. Hard to believe folks would pay those type of JFK-LHR J fares for anything less than a huge difference.
wrp96 and jliehr like this.

Last edited by beachfan; May 23, 2019 at 6:45 am
Old May 23, 2019, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The EDI flight is in the air, about an hour late. Let's hope that no further news from the OP is good news and that they are happily enjoying their J seats over the ocean, perhaps sound asleep by now after a nice dinner and some drinks.
They should had a solid 3-hour sleep on that route, ready to seize the day at EDI, and hopefully were ok with the 757 J seat.
Old May 23, 2019, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Given the operational issues I've seen recently (MAX, OASIS, aircraft retirements, general IRROPS, etc.), its basically now my SOP that whenever I book a premium cabin fare - be it cash or miles, I also immediately do a dummy search for the same flights on the same day in economy to show what I would have paid had I chosen to fly in economy as opposed to a premium cabin. I then print and save that economy class dummy search.

This is especially relevant as when I book premium cabin fares, I almost always do it well in advance of my travel date. Economy fares booked in Y or H are often more expensive than discounted F. So when AA claims that they owe me nothing because the value of my I class fare is less than Y or H, I can show them what I would have paid had I consciously chosen to book in economy.
This is a man that knows AA, and expects to be downgraded, and then not compensated, lol.

It reminds me of something similar I do, I record the captains announcements whenever there are TATL mechanical delays (in addition to flightaware screenshots), so the airline cannot deny 261 comp.
IAHtraveler, MSPeconomist and gmt4 like this.

Last edited by nk15; May 23, 2019 at 6:53 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.