Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Oversold Business class on our flight this week, we lost award seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Oversold Business class on our flight this week, we lost award seats

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2019, 12:18 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
When we purchase a premium cabin ticket, it shouldn't just be an option for the airline to exercise or not to seat us in the class of service that we chose or give some minimal refund (in miles or money of at most the difference in price at the time of purchase) or possibly even just cancel the ticket and give a refund. The customer chose premium cabin travel when presented with a menu of prices, so that customer preferred the premium cabin ticket (at the price offered) to the coac h ticket (at the price offered by the airline at the time of purchase). If the person had wanted to fly in coach, he/she would have purchased a coach ticket.

More compensation is due and should be required. While obviously courts cannot force the airline to give the person a premium cabin seat on the flights that were purchased, airlines should be punished for overbooking premium cabins and forced to solicit volunteers seriously just as there rules about VDBs and IDBs for coach passengers.
I agree completely. Unfortunately this is not the world we live in--the DoT rules on this are clear and not so sympathetic to class of service distinctions.
Old May 22, 2019, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by Erasmus
these issues are best resolved before the airport
In this particular case, what does the phone agent see?
I'm going to guess the agent may see flight oversold, seat to be assigned at airport.
I'm not sure on what basis the agent could have done anything other than voluntary re-ticketing, which is what it seems they were trying to do for the OP and therefore checking aaward inventory.
On a revenue ticket, the agent would have offered change fee + current price ticket, since this is not IRROPS at the point one calls.

In other words, does an oversold cabin give grounds to a free re-routing with an agent on the phone? The standard answer will be "go to the airport".
Old May 22, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by carlosdca
In this particular case, what does the phone agent see?
I'm going to guess the agent may see flight oversold, seat to be assigned at airport.
I'm not sure on what basis the agent could have done anything other than voluntary re-ticketing, which is what it seems they were trying to do for the OP and therefore checking aaward inventory.
On a revenue ticket, the agent would have offered change fee + current price ticket, since this is not IRROPS at the point one calls.

In other words, does an oversold cabin give grounds to a free re-routing with an agent on the phone? The standard answer will be "go to the airport".
Again, agreed completely, which is why with high probably this was going to be a cluster for the OP, and it's a miracle it wasn't. Anybody touching this record before boarding at PHL is a customer service gesture--which folks like JonNYC can sometimes make happen. Once boarding at PHL, options are severely limited and the policies are not in the OP's favor. That is entirely my point.

Last edited by Erasmus; May 22, 2019 at 1:35 pm
Old May 22, 2019, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
I know people cancel for whatever reason all the time, but is it possible that any of the cancellations (in J or Y) were people contacted by AA to take a different flight (perhaps based on their actual end-destination and offering them a better route to get to their destination)? I know US back in the day would call me asking me about taking alternative options for whatever reason (usually overbooked). I could say this thread might have caused some of that behind the scenes efforts, but I don't have that insight.

It does appear the now blocked seats were mistakenly offered for inventory for this flight (whether or not the crew rest need is necessary or not, that is not my call).

I think from threads like this, we all are reminded on how much we need to proactively find options for such issues. As such, I have changed to/from airports, days of travel, etc. when I have dealt with situations where I could not travel as scheduled for whatever reason. If that is the value of this thread, not a bad deal.
wrp96 and curranch90 like this.
Old May 22, 2019, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Erasmus
90+% of the traveling public (that views premium cabin as a luxury and nothing approaching a necessity) would not perceive this as a major issue.
Count me in the remaining 10% pool that does.
Colin, Erasmus, beachfan and 4 others like this.
Old May 22, 2019, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
How about our compensation, for having to read this thread, how many miles should we ask AA for?
curranch90 likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 1:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nk15
How about our compensation, for having to read this thread, how many miles should we ask AA for?
Most people enjoyed it-- who forced you??
Colin, ijgordon, chrisny2 and 15 others like this.
Old May 22, 2019, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Much like GoT, I enjoyed it until the disappointingly tame ending.
Old May 22, 2019, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Nobody forced me, but just reading 12 pages of AA shenanigans and their unnecessary drama forced upon this innocent guy, who could have been any of us, I feel I am owed some miles for pain and suffering...just for witnessing this...
Also, for the tame and lame ending, lol
curranch90 likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I for one, learned some new lingo and strategies in case this ever happens to me.

Very educational thread.
GTITAN, lupine, catawba and 6 others like this.
Old May 22, 2019, 2:05 pm

There was a wealth of information in this thread. Thank you to the experts for suggestions and recommendation to help these folks. I feel for this couple and what they went through and am happy for their miracle ending.

But as many others have said -- it begs the question how many people does this happen to that don't come to FF --- probably lots --- and how would AA resolve this situation if there's not a fortuitous cancellation or mixed connection? If push had come to shove came at the counter.

Unfortunately we'll never know for sure. Like the ending to The Sopranos.
moondog likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enviroian
I for one, learned some new lingo and strategies in case this ever happens to me.

Very educational thread.
This is the optimistic way of seeing it. We also (re) learned, that (a) AA is incompetent, (b) they don't care to fix their own mistakes, but rather have you squirm until the gate, to protect their revenue, (c) you will waste a lot of time on the phone (several hours) trying to fix their own mistakes, but likely to no avail, (d) there is no clear way to fix these issues, and (e) it will take either a miracle to resolve your issue (but still you have wasted your time and energy and stress, like the OP), or it may not get resolved and you will fly coach and they may give you a handful of miles for compensation (which you will also have to ask for).
All I am saying is that if they were competent and/or cared to fix their own mistakes, we wouldn't have to learn anything here...
PlatinumScum and MSPeconomist like this.
Old May 22, 2019, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Just to clear up one thing that is still unclear for me...

It seems that each time OP called AA he was told this needed to be sorted at the airport. It also seems that OP's plans really needed him to get directly to EDI. Let's say that this was me and I'm on business and I'm flexible. That means I can fly to an alternate destination (MAN was suggested) and my employer would pay for whatever route needed to get me from MAN to EDI (perhaps by train).

Would AA have made that change over the phone to MAN given this situation? I guess I'm asking is if I'm booked in J and it's oversold will AA make the change for me in advance rather than me showing up to the airport early to see if they would make the change?
Old May 22, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by rasheed
I know US back in the day would call me asking me about taking alternative options for whatever reason (usually overbooked)
Yes i remember getting calls about taking a more direct routing on numerous occasions.
I was usually re-qualifying for Chairman Preferred so would pick some interesting segments.

Those were the good old days for sure
Old May 22, 2019, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Can't thank JonNYC enough. His notification that the seats were open and that we had been assigned to them couldnt have came at a better time as we were most likely going to end up being rerouted with multiple layovers and a significantly delayed arrival time.

AA gate agents confirmed our names are assigned to the seats and they now show up in the app. They even showed me the screen they see (but wouldn't let me take a picture as it had other passenger names on it). However, DTW for some reason cannot print BPs with seats on them, said it has to be done at PHL. My PHL - EDI BP says a seat will be assigned at the gate... Hopefully this isnt AA playing games and we'll have a smooth process in PH. Will update once we have final BPs.

I sincerely apologize I wasn't able to be a better test subject . 36 hours of stress but I learned a ton from all of you!
Spiff, ntamayo, SS255 and 23 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.