Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Not a single AA transcon First saver (Z) through the end of schedule?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Not a single AA transcon First saver (Z) through the end of schedule?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2019, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by unicon
Resurrecting this older thread as I'm seeing neither F nor J saver availability JFK-SFO or LAX for the next few months. Literally 0.

I'm booking an international F ticket with domestic leg as JFK-SFO (and can do JKF-LAX too if needed) and only Y is available on this leg. Actually that itself is lucky as even Y availability is not so great otherwise.
But I'm not thrilled about having to spend 6+ hrs in Y after 12+hrs in F and that is holding me back from booking the reward.

What do folks think, what chance is there that at least a J saver award will open before the flight. Travel is on a Wednesday in mid-November. Is it common that no F or J saver awards are made available for these premium transcon flights at all?
If you have an F award ticket but with a Y leg where that's the only availability, and that doesn't change by the day of travel, you may be able to get waitlisted at the airport for "reversal of voluntary downgrade". Done right, this should put you above all upgraders, because you already paid the price due (in miles) for an F seat.

And on JFK-SFO, my understanding is the F cabin is usually underbooked and often accommodates nonrevs, so you may have a good shot. But it depends on an agent being willing and able to do this, especially for an unusual two-cabin downgrade reversal on a three-cabin plane, which I haven't seen reports on.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 3:06 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
If you have an F award ticket but with a Y leg where that's the only availability, and that doesn't change by the day of travel, you may be able to get waitlisted at the airport for "reversal of voluntary downgrade". Done right, this should put you above all upgraders, because you already paid the price due (in miles) for an F seat.

And on JFK-SFO, my understanding is the F cabin is usually underbooked and often accommodates nonrevs, so you may have a good shot. But it depends on an agent being willing and able to do this, especially for an unusual two-cabin downgrade reversal on a three-cabin plane, which I haven't seen reports on.
I ended up not booking the ticket and now the international F award is no longer available. But this is good to know for future. I'm not familiar with this policy, so apologies if this is a basic question. Do you have to request to be added to the airport upgrade waitlist or does it happen automatically? Is it possible to be waitlisted for both F and J cabin? And does AA allow waitlisting for award seats at the time of booking itself? I don't have any status with AA if that matters.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead

This is very very YMMV. When I was Plat and redeemed a number of international J awards with domestic segment confirmed in coach (usually AA-CX or AA-JL though), they never agree to put me on the upgrade list, saying that I was ticketed in coach award on that segment so they couldn't do anything. They claimed the DSR designation is for First class pax confirmed in coach due to IRROPS, not for voluntary downgrades due to availability
Old Jul 15, 2019, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Originally Posted by unicon
I ended up not booking the ticket and now the international F award is no longer available. But this is good to know for future. I'm not familiar with this policy, so apologies if this is a basic question. Do you have to request to be added to the airport upgrade waitlist or does it happen automatically? Is it possible to be waitlisted for both F and J cabin? And does AA allow waitlisting for award seats at the time of booking itself? I don't have any status with AA if that matters.
AA does not allow waitlisting except for fare class F, A, J, R, C, Y (IIRC). As I said above, this waitlist is very YMMV and I have experienced more failures than successes.

For AA Z award, in my observation is that they never open up on their own. So to have a Z award, you have to somehow match it with another AA flight with Z "potential", with "potential" meaning that AA is willing to open up Z on that flight. As a result, you can only probably book LAX-MIA-GRU, LAX-JFK-GRU/LHR, JFK/MIA-LAX-HKG/HND in AA first class and none of the flights out of DFW. This coincides with my (cursory) search across the award calendar on AA website

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.