Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

R now becoming a revenue bucket for domestic flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2019, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist

I was poking around EF for flights this holiday season and noticed that EF was showing R availability on domestic flights under the flight availability section. Currently R is used for complimentary/sticker upgrades on eligible flights, and as a revenue bucket on long-haul international flights (second highest, below J but above D). EF is now showing a similar pattern (J > R > D > I) for a smattering of domestic flights (DFW-LAX, DFW-HNL).

If this is indeed correct and not an EF glitch, a couple notes:

1. More F/J buckets would allow AA to offer more price points/fare discrimination, which can be tricky with only three revenue buckets. For example, UA currently has five (J, C, D, Z, P).

2. I wonder what the new bucket for complimentary/sticker upgrades will be?
Old May 12, 2019, 11:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There do seem to be R fares listed ( checking LAX-DFW in September ) , so would seem to be used for revenue bookings; is it definitely new?
Old May 13, 2019, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The fare filings already appear to be in place (AA puts the booking class in the second to last place of the fare basis code for domestic FC fares) and seeing them on all domestic routes. For some odd reason, EF seems to frequently flub the booking class field on fare listings. The inventory class looks to go live on Sep 9th. DL recently went from F/P/A/G booking classes on domestic FC to J/C/D/I/Z. AS also recently added a new discount FC booking class (I), but still only has three with new addition (F/P/I)

Last edited by xliioper; May 13, 2019 at 7:41 am
Old May 13, 2019, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
It's part of the rollout of Basic First.
Old May 13, 2019, 7:36 am

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by Antarius
It's part of the rollout of Basic First.
Best one of the day!

I would imagine that they'll only sell it on flights that have Oasis retrofits
bchandler02 likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 12:35 pm

Hours later I'm still laughing at this comment. It says it all.
Old May 13, 2019, 3:48 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Are these Y-UPs?
Old May 13, 2019, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by donotblink
Are these Y-UPs?
Yes, looks like it
Old May 13, 2019, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

K basis I fares and Y basis D and R fares do not contain any language about "ECONOMY FARE WITH AN INSTANT ONE-CLASS UPGRADE AT THE TIME OF PURCHASE TO FIRST/BUSINESS" in their fare rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.