Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

SJO / San Jose, Costa Rica AA, baggage check, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 12, 2019, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Link to aa.com airport information.
Link to SJO airport interactive map.

Open 24 hours daily, but not all counters or vendors

Exit fee: Costa Rica has a $29 exit fee, which will usually already be included in your airport ticket. If it is not, you’ll have to buy your exit chit prior to checking in.

Elite or expedited arrival formality or departure security lines: No

Lounges: Card, some airline, Fee & Priority Pass lounges: Santamaria VIP, Airside - after Passport Control, turn left and proceed to the Lower Level. The lounge is located in front of Gate 5. See this definite SJO lounges post for this lounge, the other downstairs Gate 5, etc.

WiFi: Juan Santamaria International Airport has Wi-Fi coverage throughout the international terminal. Three Wi-Fi networks are available: Free SJO Wi-Fi by Samsung for all passengers; has advertising. The connection will remain active for 3 hours (limited broad band).

Premium (Fee) Wi-Fi by Sitsifi: Broader band network for downloading videos, music and high demand data. Advertisement-free connection. Band width and connection time are subject to the fee the customer wishes to pay.

Professional Wi-Fi: Courtesy network for specific customers of corporate sponsors, which notify their customers directly of this service and provide them with a password.

Notes: Though not large, SJO can get crowded and chaotic at times. There can occasionally be scammers and petty thieves here, and airport personnel will often seem hurried and rigid, and not empowered to make exceptions. Checked baggage limits tend to be interpreted very strictly, sometimes incorrectly.

Arrivals: After processing immigration and customs, you’ll be in the baggage recovery area. Here are a Kolbi kiosk where you can buy (the most useful) local SIMs, an ATM, and a Global Exchange for Costa Rica Colones (poor exchange rates). Nearly all Costa Rican businesses accept US Dollars (not other currencies), though 1) they generally won’t accept $50 or $100 bills, and 2) will probably give you change in Colones. Exiting can be chaotic, with unofficial porters, taxis etc. trying to hustle you. Only Sky Cap porters are legitimate, only orange Taxis Unidos drivers wearing white shirts, brown ties.

Departures: There are official Sky Cap porters to assist (for a tip). You’ll pass through formalities and take the escalator from the ticket and check-in lobby. There is a Global Exchange money exchange, not recommended for its poor rates if you can avoid it, but Colones aren’t easy to change in US, Canada or Europe.

Dining and shopping: Café Britt souvenir stores, artisan souvenir stores, a technology store, the usual duty free stores. There are Cinnabon, Quiznos, Starbucks, a cafe and a small food court with Smashburger, Chocolatería Britt, Deli Malinche, Lavazza coffee, Brioche Doreé, Bar Imperial, gastropub, Teriyaki Experience, other fast food outlets, a Malinche and an El Patio restaurant.

Mioderma Spa near Gates 5 and 15.

Transportation

Bus: There is a bus stop down the ramp from arrivals that goes into downtown San Jose fairly frequently.

Shuttle: You can take a shared or private shuttle to transfer into San Jose, Interbus every 15 minutes For nationwide transfers, you’ll take a taxi to the Denny’s Restaurant for pick up with Interbus. Private shuttles will pick you up directly from the airport.

Taxi/Uber: You will see lots of Taxis Unidos, Coopetranstura, Gorila Taxi Aeropuerto and Taxicab Taxi Aeropuerto (only authorized company) taxis when you exit the airport. Official taxis are plentiful at the exit. Drivers accept Costa Rica Colones or US Dollars. Uber only works in San Jose.

Rental cars: Alamo, Budget, Economy, Enterprise, Dollar, Hertz / Firefly , National, Payless, Solid Nü. Counters in Arrivals; the airport is too small to accommodate a rental car center at the airport, but the rental center is adjacent. (Be aware you may be targeted for scams when you depart the rental company’s property. These have included a “broken down motorist” asking for help or a slashed tire so you stop. In both, they’ll try to distract you to steal baggage items.)

Nearby hotels: Three hotels are 2-5 minutes away and offer free shuttle service.
Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton San Jose Airport
Holiday Inn Express San Jose Costa Rica Airport
Courtyard by Marriott San Jose Airport Alajuela

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2019, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Hello - I am trying to understand the early morning logistics for AA flights out of SJO.

I am flying on AA2436 with scheduled departure time of 6:15AM (boarding would commence at ~5:30AM). The website and the AA exec plat line confirm that the AA baggage desk opens at 5:00AM (I will be checking bags). This gives me ~ 1 hour to navigate the checked bag line, get through early morning (likely queued) security, and to the gate.

Does SJO have kiosks for self check in? Expedited security lines (AA Plat+Global Entry)? Just looking for feedback from fellow travelers as to how early to arrive and whether this exercise will be a close call or not timing-wise.

Thanks.

D
Old May 12, 2019, 8:44 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
I recently did that AA flight out of SJO.

No kiosks or expedited security at SJO, but you should be fine. The check in line, esp. for elites, is quick. The checkpoint is nearby. And once you're through the checkpoint, the gate is no more than a 5-7 minute walk. It's not a large airport.
Old May 12, 2019, 11:09 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Linkto aa.com airport information. External link to SJO airport isn’t, it’s a spam site.

Link to SJO website (English, limited)

Link to useful SJO guide sleepinginairports.net

American Airlines Ticket Counter

Open Daily: 5 a.m. - 4 p.m.

Check-in
Flight 358: 5:30 - 7:30 a.m.
Flight 1774: 12:30 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.
Flight 1922 (Saturday): 11:30 p.m. - 1:55 p.m.

Checked baggage limits tend to be interpreted very strictly, sometimes incorrectly.

Mobile boarding pass: yes (but...)

Self-service kiosks: no.

Priority Check-in: yes

Exit fee: Costa Rica has a $29 exit fee, which will usually already be included in your airport ticket. If it is not, you’ll have to buy your exit chit prior to checking in. AA includes the fee.

Elite or expedited arrival formality or departure security lines: No, Yes

Access:
- Any latin american bank issued MasterCard Black credit or debit card.
- Diplomatic Passports.
- Any airline business class boarding pass WITH Fast Track stamp.
If you check-in online or at airport's electronic kiosk, you must go to your airline counter and ask to an agent to stamp your boarding pass. The boarding pass MUST have the stamp in order to use the Fast Track. Despite digital boarding passes from smartphones are accepted to go through security, they are not valid for the Fast Track, you must get a printed boarding pass first, and then go to the counter for the stamp. Otherwise you'll be instructed to do the regular LONG lines, doesn't matter if it says business class.
Gates: AA often uses gates 15 or 16.

AA lounge: no; Fee & Priority Pass lounge: Santamaria VIP, Airside - after Passport Control, turn left and proceed to the Lower Level. The lounge is located in front of Gate 5. See this definite SJO lounges post for this lounge, the other downstairs Gate 5, etc.

Last edited by JDiver; May 12, 2019 at 11:19 pm
Old May 19, 2019, 7:41 am

I wouldn't worry about it that early in the morning. There are self service kiosks at check-in. Passport control and security will take just a few minutes and it's a fairly short walk to any of the gates. We arrived at 4:30a for a 8am flight, and it took about 25 minutes total from drop off curb to the gate, checking one bag on the way. Print your boarding pass.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 11:26 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Making my first trip to Costa Rica next week, and curious to know if anyone has recent experience traveling through SJO? We are set with health forms, return COVID tests, and required insurance letter for our rental car. How are the immigration, check-in, and security lines? AA is resuming non-stop flights from ORD-SJO in November - we arrive late evening (22:45) and return in the morning (09:00) traveling in J class. Hoping that hotel shuttles are fast and that we don't need to arrive too early for our return flight. Thanks in advance for any replies!
Old Oct 27, 2021, 10:06 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by danimal96
Making my first trip to Costa Rica next week, and curious to know if anyone has recent experience traveling through SJO? We are set with health forms, return COVID tests, and required insurance letter for our rental car. How are the immigration, check-in, and security lines? AA is resuming non-stop flights from ORD-SJO in November - we arrive late evening (22:45) and return in the morning (09:00) traveling in J class. Hoping that hotel shuttles are fast and that we don't need to arrive too early for our return flight. Thanks in advance for any replies!
Not sure where your hotel is located, but there is heavy construction on the road between the airport and San Jose itself. Delays are common, especially during heavy traffic times. Construction goes on during the weekend so no break there. Inbound immigration is highly variable. I've been through in 15 minutes and I've also waited close to 2 hours. The priority ticket counter line is usually manageable, although I always seem to get stuck behind the couple checking 3 huge overweight bags all the way through to Venus or something. Outbound immigration is quick because in J you'll have access to the fast track. Security moves quickly and the airport seems to be pretty good about opening up more scanners when the line begins to back up. There are a couple of priority pass lounges. The Amex lounge is OK with nice views. The Copa lounge is dismal. All gates are shared so no telling where your flight will depart from, but the terminal isn't that big. It seems that about 5 people per flight are chosen for secondary screening at the gate. Pura Vida!
24.05.2004 likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 10:35 am

Programs: bits of shiny plastic w/ varied utility
Originally Posted by Catbert10
... although I always seem to get stuck behind the couple checking 3 huge overweight bags all the way through to Venus or something. !
oh geez me too! 😲

Inbound immigration at 2245 should be a breeze -- very few arrivals. If you can spend your last nite in Alajuela instead of San Jose, you'll avoid 95% of the traffic issues.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by Catbert10
Not sure where your hotel is located, but there is heavy construction on the road between the airport and San Jose itself. Delays are common, especially during heavy traffic times. Construction goes on during the weekend so no break there. Inbound immigration is highly variable. I've been through in 15 minutes and I've also waited close to 2 hours. The priority ticket counter line is usually manageable, although I always seem to get stuck behind the couple checking 3 huge overweight bags all the way through to Venus or something. Outbound immigration is quick because in J you'll have access to the fast track. Security moves quickly and the airport seems to be pretty good about opening up more scanners when the line begins to back up. There are a couple of priority pass lounges. The Amex lounge is OK with nice views. The Copa lounge is dismal. All gates are shared so no telling where your flight will depart from, but the terminal isn't that big. It seems that about 5 people per flight are chosen for secondary screening at the gate. Pura Vida!
Thanks! We are staying at the Hampton Inn which looks to be very close to SJO. Website says they have frequent shuttles to/from SJO and with a late evening arrival hopefully traffic won't be a problem. Good to know re: traffic for return flight - as we are staying at the same Hampton Inn night before our return (09:00 departure).
Old Oct 27, 2021, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by 24.05.2004
oh geez me too! 😲

Inbound immigration at 2245 should be a breeze -- very few arrivals. If you can spend your last nite in Alajuela instead of San Jose, you'll avoid 95% of the traffic issues.
Thanks, the Hampton Inn was selected for proximity to SJO - found a few places that were a bit cheaper, but close to SJO (along Rio Segundo) seems like the way to go.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 4:59 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
The Hampton Inn is right across the highway from SJO. Closer to the airport you cannot get.

I'm wincing at the posts above that talk about how "quick" things move. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Years of flying into and out of SJO have told me that it's an unpredictable airport. A large bank of international flights comes in in the evening and goes out in the morning. That can gum things up at times.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by SJOGuy
The Hampton Inn is right across the highway from SJO. Closer to the airport you cannot get.

I'm wincing at the posts above that talk about how "quick" things move. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Years of flying into and out of SJO have told me that it's an unpredictable airport. A large bank of international flights comes in in the evening and goes out in the morning. That can gum things up at times.
Thank you for the additional insight. What time would you recommend arriving at SJO for a morning (09:00) departure flight? Will be flying J and plan on having my COVID test results for entry to US ready to go via VeriFly.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 8:44 pm

Danimal, I hadn't checked back in this thread, and you must be in CR by now. I am one of those people who gets to that airport three hours in advance because that's what they tell me to do. There's probably no need for that.

No question that flying J does help. You'll get the AA priority check-in line and airport priority security line. I've noticed about the priority security line that flight crews will always cut ahead of you. You also might get to the head of that line and find only one station open to you. There have been times I had access to the priority line but I could see that the regular line was short. I opted for that one. Play it by ear.

I hope you're having a good time.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by SJOGuy
Danimal, I hadn't checked back in this thread, and you must be in CR by now. I am one of those people who gets to that airport three hours in advance because that's what they tell me to do. There's probably no need for that.

No question that flying J does help. You'll get the AA priority check-in line and airport priority security line. I've noticed about the priority security line that flight crews will always cut ahead of you. You also might get to the head of that line and find only one station open to you. There have been times I had access to the priority line but I could see that the regular line was short. I opted for that one. Play it by ear.

I hope you're having a good time.
Thanks very much for the response. We leave tomorrow evening from ORD. Can’t wait to see CR!
Old Nov 4, 2021, 3:06 pm

¡Feliz Viaje!
Old Dec 30, 2022, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The early morning flight now leaves at 6 am and the website still says the checkin counter opens at 5 am. That can't be right? We are 4 people with 2 checked bags, 2 in business and 2 in coach. Very confused about what time to arrive at airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.