Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

aborted landing AA 3200 DFW-COU 5/7/19 -- info?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2019, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT AA 1MM

I recall seeing information posted in FT by knowledgeable folks from a site where irregularities/problems are tracked. Can someone point me to that site? I wondered if the landing gear was not down because during the subsequent long fly-around I felt and heard something similar to l.g. lowering and did not recall hearing it earlier (though I was half-asleep then). Or it may have been a wind issue since the weather was not good. We landed with quite a thud on the second try.
Old May 9, 2019, 10:57 am

Programs: AA Exp
ExpertFlyer; I don't see anything about the landing in the notes, maybe someone else can decipher better than I can:

☨DTE CHNG FLT☨ ORIG 07MAY
SKYWEST AIRLINES AS AMERICAN EAGLE
DFW 1030P E E35
COU ☨ 1214A
3DFW/ETD2305 LAE-PREVIOUS DELAY OF THIS AIRCRAFT *2219
7DFW/AUTO REACCOM DLY FLT COMPLETED SEE N*P1AA3200DFW07MAY
*2247*CRCYMG
4DFW/OUT2258 OFF2329 *2329
2COU/IN0113 *0113
Old May 9, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
The website you're probably thinking of is avherald.com
But a go-around is not an "irregularity/problem", so are likely not reported. They are standard procedure and to be done anytime an approach is not 100% stabilized below a certain altitude. Worldwide, I'm sure there are dozens each day.
My guess as to your not hearing the gear down on the first approach is that at that point everything was 'normal' so you weren't paying close attention. The missed approach got you curious, so you were now noticing everything.
IAHtraveler likes this.
Old May 9, 2019, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT AA 1MM
It wasn't your regular go-around. We were maybe 4 to 5 feet above the runway, over the runway, on approach and suddenly started an ascent.
Old May 9, 2019, 7:04 pm

COU doesn't have particularly long runways - 6500ft for the main one. There isn't all that much room for error if there's a bit of floating prior to touchdown. I've been on an AA A333 which slammed the nose down after floating and went most of the way to the end of the (much longer) runway at LHR. It happens sometimes. Not sure what happened exactly here, but the shorter the runway, the more likely you will get go-arounds.
Old May 9, 2019, 7:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
COU = Columbia, MO. This airport was discussed recently regarding some problems with the runway pavement; IIRC some service was suspended as a result. It might be unrelated, but it could cause pilots to be especially careful at this airport.
fotoflyer88 and C17PSGR like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.