Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Why don't displaced passengers call AA rather than stand in a long line

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why don't displaced passengers call AA rather than stand in a long line

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2019, 11:42 am

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Why do people stand in line for a paper boarding pass? Why do people seated in Group 9 rush the boarding gate when CK is called? Why do people stand in the aisle looking for god knows what while 200+ paxs are waiting to board. Why do people bring a crying baby on a redeye flight (seated in F/J no less)? Answer. If you want to know how stupid human beings can be just go to any airport and take a good look around.
While Churchill may or may not have said that the best argument against democracy is a 5-minute conversation with the average voter, he DEFINITELY said that the best argument against flying is spending 5 minutes with a 1x a year flyer.
Air Houston likes this.

Last edited by DCAFly; May 9, 2019 at 11:43 am Reason: typo!
Old May 9, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
What makes anyone think that when the line is that long at DFW that you won't have a multiple hours wait on the phone too. Plus, when you finally do get to someone, the person at the airport is much more likely to be able to actually help you.
wrp96 likes this.
Old May 9, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by SamOF
Does AA have call center agents with airport access? On Delta, there are special irops call centers where the agents use the airport agent systems rather than the res agent systems, and tend to act more like airport agents than res agents.
They all used to have Sabre with very few checks and balances. They have Qik now which was rolled out to reduce training costs, but also to increase compliance with policy. AA intentionally restricts access to do things like endorse someone's ticket over to Delta which is reserved for people ticketed in J or EXP/PPro.
Old May 9, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by davie355
I stand in line and call simultaneously
This.

Do keep in mind that phone agents cannot give out hotel or meal vouchers. I was in DFW for one of these, 500+ in line- they were giving some vouchers, depending on the flight-specific reasons.

FWIW- I was caught in some DFW weather and was getting a really bad feeling about my DFW-SMF at 10PM. (No gate action, no crew, up to 9:45PM) So I called EXP about 'options' while I was in the gate area. Took 15 to get through, agent comes back and says 'next DFW-SMF is in 3 days, 12/31 in coach. There is a DFW-LAX tomorrow 9AM with one seat in F." as she is telling me this, the gate display changes to 'cancelled". I tell her "book that F to LAX immediately". I booked a hotel, took an uber over, and was in bed by midnight. As I left the airport, it was scenes of the last helicopter out of Saigon....had I not been proactive, it would have sucked.
Old May 9, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by enviroian
I imagine 98% of the people in that crazy line don’t even know what the AC is let alone be a member.
I wonder if flyertalk realizes how the vast majority of the flying public is treated and what we have access to.
Old May 9, 2019, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by SamOF
Does AA have call center agents with airport access? On Delta, there are special irops call centers where the agents use the airport agent systems rather than the res agent systems, and tend to act more like airport agents than res agents.
AA does have an OSO number (which was changed recently) which was probably on the cards being handed out. It's not clear what it gets you but it should be jumping the queues on the normal numbers and reaching an agent with extra authority. There is some anecdotal evidence that it does get you the first of these.
Old May 9, 2019, 12:28 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by golfingboy
Yes, in order to change your routing you have to have an agent do it for you, the app only allows you to change to options with the same routing change when a travel waiver is in effect. Similar to the same day confirmed feature.

If AA got rid of the same day routing restriction then a whole lot more options would open up on the app that we can change on our own.

AA loves to follow UA/DL and if they asked me if I could pick one thing I want them to copy UA/DL this would be my answer.
This is not true for IRROPs, I am often offered connections through different cities than my original booking.
Old May 9, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
That's why I pay for an AC membership. The Centurion lounge isn't going to jack for you. AC staff is more likely to call and try to get you a seat if they are somehow locked out from doing so. Not to mention you can go and relax with a drink while they do the re-route/re-issue and print BPs.
Yea it really confuses me why anyone who travels a lot on AA doesnt have one. I have it through the Citi Exec card, and the $450 seems very worth it for me.
Old May 9, 2019, 1:16 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
I imagine 98% of the people in that crazy line don’t even know what the AC is let alone be a member.
Valid.
Old May 9, 2019, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by AAdamE
Yea it really confuses me why anyone who travels a lot on AA doesnt have one. I have it through the Citi Exec card, and the $450 seems very worth it for me.
Same here with the Citi exec.

Those “dragons” as we affectionately call them can be wonderful angels when it comes time to re-booking due to wx. Iropps, etc.

^
JDiver likes this.
Old May 9, 2019, 1:30 pm

Same here with the Citi exec.

Those “dragons” as we affectionately call them can be wonderful angels when it comes time to re-booking due to wx. Iropps, etc.

^
Why dragons lol?
Old May 9, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by AAdamE
Why dragons lol?
Welcome to FT.
Antarius likes this.
Old May 9, 2019, 2:02 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by iadisgreat
This is not true for IRROPs, I am often offered connections through different cities than my original booking.
Only if your flight cancels. Delays aren’t enough to trigger the relaxed rules. At least IME.

And often at that point options can be limited as the system auto rebooks customers drying out inventory on other fights.

With UA I can start proactively making calculated changes 24 hours out.

Last edited by golfingboy; May 9, 2019 at 2:09 pm
Old May 9, 2019, 2:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
What makes anyone think that when the line is that long at DFW that you won't have a multiple hours wait on the phone too. Plus, when you finally do get to someone, the person at the airport is much more likely to be able to actually help you.
It depends. If the flight is a one off cancellation one probably will get through quickly. But yes, true either way you won't get a good response unless you know hubs, routes, etc. The average flyer is clueless. That's why they are handed a BP for a flight that will leave 12-24 hours later.
Old May 9, 2019, 3:45 pm

DFW was indeed a mess yesterday. At least scheduling wise, but the airport was probably the calmest i’ve seen it. It was actually a pretty pleasant place to be. TSA was easy, no line at all. Plenty of seats, limited crowding at the gates etc.

I had multiple itinerary changes in the space of 2 hours. 1 by the agents on the phone, 2 in app and 1 through the gate agent. The gate agent at C8/C6 for my changes was great.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.