Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA restricts expired miles reactivation within 18 months of expiration (2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 30, 2019, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
American Airlines AAdvantage Award Miles are valid for as long as the AAdvantage member’s account has had any kind of activity (earning or spending, gifting, donating etc.) within 18 (eighteen) months.

Q. How can I keep my miles from expiring?

Just earn or redeem miles on American or with an AAdvantage partner at least once every 18 months. We’ll automatically extend your mileage expiration date 18 months from the date of your most recent activity.

Your wallet shows the number of miles you have and the earliest date they could expire.
American used to offer reinstatement fees or “challenges” as paths to reactivate expired miles for several years after expiry. This policy has apparently changed to allow reinstatement of expired miles only up to 18 months after the date of expiration.

Get your expired miles back link to this policy

You can reactivate your expired miles for a fee in 1 of 2 ways*:

Call AAdvantage® customer service

Reactivate miles in your account (link)
AAdvantage® customer service (link)

For mileage reactivations, you can:
  • Reactivate miles within 18 months of their expiration
  • Only make 1 transaction to reactivate your miles. Any expired miles from this same expiration time frame that aren’t reactivated will be forfeited
  • Reactivate a maximum of 500,000 miles
*Rates are charged based on the total number of miles reactivated from 1 account at 1 time, regardless of when the miles expired
NOTE: no mention of reengagement challenges, just fees.

Print Wikipost

AA restricts expired miles reactivation within 18 months of expiration (2019)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2019, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by ijgordon
18 months seems more than generous enough to me, though...
I 100% agree
Old Apr 30, 2019, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska, Marriott
Originally Posted by arollins
Most rewards programs, being miles, points, credits, etc. all clearly indicate the terms and conditions of such plan when you sign in. Normally, no one reads them at all. Even some rewards program have the term "frequent" attached to them. Just on name along you should get the idea that frequent is a continuous term, as opposed to in-frequent. As a member of the plan, you should be aware of the shelf life on the rewards you've acquired, and should have plenty of time to keep them going or redeeming them. It is up to you to exercise prudence on what you've earned. It is not the sponsor problem to "baby-sit" your plan. I myself have left points expire on other programs where I had some "orphan" points and no real way to capitalize on them. No one to blame but myself, I always check to see if they can make an exception, but wont make a fuss if the answer is no.
In case it wasn’t clear, I know their expiration policy very well since I started flying more frequently and have no problem with that.

My complaint is about their sudden unannounced policy change of reactivation time limit, which had been on aa.com for years and I’m equally familiar with. Unfortunately being familiar with program information is insufficient when program can change overnight without notice.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 1:45 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Database bloat was a thing in the old days, when storage actually cost money. Nowadays, I doubt that a few bytes per account of mileage balance data are an issue given that the accounts themselves ("records pertaining to people who do not fly the airline") remain open.

I recall when our IT people would hound me to delete old e-mails to free up space on the POP server. Perhaps the database administrator culture is left over from those days.

PS I'm not saying that the 18-month cutoff is a big deal.
Database hashes still occur on this site due to some forms of db bloat etc. I’d suspect the prime benefit to AA is reducing accounting liabilities of miles, which seem to be an emphasis of AA given it’s the only profitable business arm it seems to have right now, and a secondary one is AA isn’t known for its avant garde IT system - ridding themselves of unnecessary data probably still is a useful function.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 5:09 pm

Just saw this post. Lost 180K miles by few days (18 months since expiration). Was planning for re-engagement challenge for my wife this summer, waited for it too long Most of the miles were earned using CC. Called AA and was offered $1250 for reactivation. No re-engagement challenge.
Any suggestion if I should pursue the option?.I am thinking getting 150k miles for $900 is better option.Although it has been increasingly painful to get the award redemption without paying hefty points.

Last edited by dealhunter999; Jun 12, 2019 at 6:10 am
Old Jun 12, 2019, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by usuario

In case it wasn’t clear, I know their expiration policy very well since I started flying more frequently and have no problem with that.

My complaint is about their sudden unannounced policy change of reactivation time limit, which had been on aa.com for years and I’m equally familiar with. Unfortunately being familiar with program information is insufficient when program can change overnight without notice.
I slept on re-engagement challenge because my wife was not travelling, we had plan to make switch in summer for upcoming travels.I was late by 5 days since miles expired 18 months ago. Worst, my credit card post some miles but they are showing up on AA side. Had it been mile expiration would have been pushed back by another 3 moths. Giving me till august before new policy permanently removes miles. They did offer me cash option $1250 but I think it is a lot to pay for 180K miles so rejected it.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 4:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Value does depend on what you would do with them. With 180k , could get a Europe-South Pacific business class r/t ticket , which would be a bargain at $1250 plus tax
Old Jun 12, 2019, 4:24 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by dealhunter999
I slept on re-engagement challenge because my wife was not travelling, we had plan to make switch in summer for upcoming travels.I was late by 5 days since miles expired 18 months ago. Worst, my credit card post some miles but they are showing up on AA side. Had it been mile expiration would have been pushed back by another 3 moths. Giving me till august before new policy permanently removes miles. They did offer me cash option $1250 but I think it is a lot to pay for 180K miles so rejected it.
1) If you have proof (printout, account activity screen print, etc.) That your credit card activity failed to post, I’d appeal and have the miles reinstated, then buy, fly, dine or whatever to extend the miles’ validity another 18 months.

2) As to buying miles back, the chart below compares the cost of doing that (minus the $30 transaction fee, iirc). Only you can determine whether you’re willing to buy back if they deny your appeal on the credit card miles, but I recently spent 220,000 miles one way for two in Business class - which AA wanted $20,000 for. And in the past I’ve secured multiple MileSAAver awards US-Australia, US-Europe.
Attached Images  
Old Jun 12, 2019, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott/SPG, AMEX
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Database bloat was a thing in the old days, when storage actually cost money. Nowadays, I doubt that a few bytes per account of mileage balance data are an issue given that the accounts themselves ("records pertaining to people who do not fly the airline") remain open.

I recall when our IT people would hound me to delete old e-mails to free up space on the POP server. Perhaps the database administrator culture is left over from those days.

PS I'm not saying that the 18-month cutoff is a big deal.
I just saw this thread and while I agree to cost to store data is negligible the cost to PROTECT that data is not. Whether this is the case or not I don't know but a lot of data breaches have occurred because not all data was protected, therefore leaving vulnerabilities.

I don't think 18 months is a big deal, either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.