Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

In-app involuntary denied boarding, flight rebook, vouchers, etc...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2019, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond for Life

This morning (Sunday) I was scheduled to fly ORD/BOS. My flight was cancelled Saturday due to weather in Chicago. I was not automatically rebooked, but instead, through the app, I was given the opportunity to select a new flight. Of course there were no Sunday options, only Monday, so I picked the 8:40 am option. The flight was confirmed, I selected a seat, checked in, got a boarding pass, and the app still gave me option to change my flight again at no charge.

So this evening I decided a little more time in the morning might be nice. I went to the app and selected a new flight at 10:05am. Again it was confirmed, seat BP, etc...

Except now, the message in the app, instead of saying I can change flights, is offering me a voucher if I am willing to change flights. When I click on the message it takes me to a page that asks me how much $$ I’d be willing to accept to take that flight change.

Never saw this before, so I thought it was pretty interesting.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 8:23 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Beachfun71
This morning (Sunday) I was scheduled to fly ORD/BOS. My flight was cancelled Saturday due to weather in Chicago. I was not automatically rebooked, but instead, through the app, I was given the opportunity to select a new flight. Of course there were no Sunday options, only Monday, so I picked the 8:40 am option. The flight was confirmed, I selected a seat, checked in, got a boarding pass, and the app still gave me option to change my flight again at no charge.

So this evening I decided a little more time in the morning might be nice. I went to the app and selected a new flight at 10:05am. Again it was confirmed, seat BP, etc...

Except now, the message in the app, instead of saying I can change flights, is offering me a voucher if I am willing to change flights. When I click on the message it takes me to a page that asks me how much $$ I’d be willing to accept to take that flight change.

Never saw this before, so I thought it was pretty interesting.
This feature seems to have rolled out with the push notifications for the boarding process. It looks like someone else took an offer, but was ultimately not asked to skip the flight. https://onemileatatime.com/american-...-notification/ - See comment by "Bill"
Old Apr 29, 2019, 11:49 am
Suspended

Glad to see it rolling out:
Old Apr 30, 2019, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
For those wanting to volunteer and hoping things are oversold for a voucher offer, my guess is that waiting to check in until much closer to departure time will be more likely yield a voucher offer than people who already checked in 24 hours ahead. They simply know they're more desperate as they get closer. Any idea if that's the right way to think of this new development?

I also wonder if it will be the end of "everyone who volunteers gets the same and highest offer" since it's asking people more "discreetly" for THEM to make an offer first.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 3:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LovePrunes
For those wanting to volunteer and hoping things are oversold for a voucher offer, my guess is that waiting to check in until much closer to departure time will be more likely yield a voucher offer than people who already checked in 24 hours ahead. They simply know they're more desperate as they get closer. Any idea if that's the right way to think of this new development?

I also wonder if it will be the end of "everyone who volunteers gets the same and highest offer" since it's asking people more "discreetly" for THEM to make an offer first.
Would be a guess on the first question (sounds reasonable though,) and on the second, it would -seem- that way to me, but also just me reading the stuff same as anyone else.
Old May 1, 2019, 12:35 pm

Is the voucher instantly granted? I would think it would make more sense for AA for it to be a bidding system where they develop a stack of bids starting 24 hours in advance (1@$100, 3@$250, 1@$500) and then issue the vouchers closer to departure once they have the full picture of how oversold the flight is in reality.
Old May 1, 2019, 2:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Yes I would tend to think one should now wait closer to T1 to checkin if they are open for a voucher. Checking in at T-24 doesn't yield a lot of advantages other than you're checked in and one less thing to worry. I'm assuming that once you accept an offer that's what you get if in fact your seat is needed. A couple of GAs have told me (I've gotten $900 worth of vouchers over just 2 weeks) that oversold flights will be a big issue this summer. Makes sense to get volunteers ahead of time and lock them into a certain dollar amount.
Old May 1, 2019, 4:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Not via the App but my non status friends both got $900 each for taking a later flight CLT-Houston recently. They were super pumped lol.
Old May 2, 2019, 1:03 am

Flying late in the evening on 5/2 on a flight that they stopped selling seats on since Sunday. I was looking at the app and saw that they were soliciting volunteers “starting at $200”. You essentially select from 4 offers. In the case of my flight, the offers were $200, $300, $400 and $500.

I don’t think it benefits people to wait until the last minute to check in. I have not checked in for my flight and won’t be doing so until I get to the airport but the offers are already there with preloaded amounts. Sure, they could go up at the gate if they don’t get enough volunteers but the risk you run by not selecting an offer in advance is that enough others would select one either when checking in early or by just looking at the app 24 hours before departure. If they have selected an amount that gets AA the number of volunteers it needs, you’re pretty much out of luck. So waiting wouldn’t help in that regard. The terms and conditions indicate that the solicitation will be taking place via the app and kiosks.

I know people have been wondering if everyone gets the same amount as the highest offer. See below from the terms and conditions:

”Please note that other passengers may submit Bids electing different options and therefore Accommodations may differ in the amount of compensation offered in exchange for giving up a confirmed seat. Additionally, we may receive multiple Bids in the same amount and therefore you may not receive an Accommodation even if your Bid was in the same amount as the Bid resulting in an Accommodation provided to a different passenger.”

krakendown and Check like this.
Old May 2, 2019, 1:04 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Originally Posted by Check
Is the voucher instantly granted? I would think it would make more sense for AA for it to be a bidding system where they develop a stack of bids starting 24 hours in advance (1@$100, 3@$250, 1@$500) and then issue the vouchers closer to departure once they have the full picture of how oversold the flight is in reality.
the voucher is not granted until the seat is needed after boarding I believe. On UA I have seen them allow people to bid in advance but when they are really expecting to need the seat they also allow you to switch to other flights for no fee at check in to reduce the overbook without needing to compensate.
Old May 2, 2019, 5:29 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
The question is how many offers will be taken up. So if a flight is oversold by 3 will AA technology stop once there's 3 offers at the lowest bid amount? Seems to me this is a way of getting VDB at the lowest bid possible. For those looking for a VDB they are kind of forced into a lower bid as if they wait AA might get a sufficient number of volunteers on the app and no longer provide the offer.
Old May 2, 2019, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
The question is how many offers will be taken up. So if a flight is oversold by 3 will AA technology stop once there's 3 offers at the lowest bid amount? Seems to me this is a way of getting VDB at the lowest bid possible. For those looking for a VDB they are kind of forced into a lower bid as if they wait AA might get a sufficient number of volunteers on the app and no longer provide the offer.
I agree with your assessment. There is no point in the app only accepting 3 volunteers because it in no way adversely impacts AA. Soliciting more than the possible “oversell” ensures they will have enough volunteers when the time comes, especially since people can change their minds.
Old May 14, 2019, 11:39 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
I volunteered through the app for a flight today.
Went to the gate and agent had no record of me volunteering. I told her I did it through the app, and she said "pfffft, that app doesn't work at all!"
The flight ended up not even being oversold anyways, so it was a moot point.

But the lesson learned is, if you want a bump voucher, better check with the gate agent anyways.

Another AA technology triumph
Old May 27, 2019, 3:07 pm

Day Before Flight Travel Vouchers

I have a flight tomorrow and looking at the app, I see an alert that they are asking for volunteers to give up seat for travel vouchers. Is this new for the app and do they normally do this the day before? Never seen it before.
Old May 27, 2019, 4:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Yes, it is quite new. In the past, other than in situations where there was massive overbooking, AA handled all of this at the gate.

On the one hand, it means not sitting around while the VDB value rises as the GA solicits volunteers so the payments will likely be lower. On the other hand, you can now plan accordingly and not run out to the airport. Other than "pros" who engage in the VDB business as a pastime, I see this as generating a lot less work at the gate and a lot more satisfied passengers.
trooper likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.