Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Drunk passengers in emergency / exit seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Drunk passengers in emergency / exit seats

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2019, 12:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
If there are a couple of drunks sitting in the exit row, the time to tell the FA is when it happens. It's potentially a problem, and worth telling the FA but not worth compensation since the FA may not have known.

For example, I was sitting in an exit row several months ago, and the 20 something pax next to me clearly did not speak English. He refused to acknowledge the FA, I looked at her closely and communicated silently. She then kept pushing him to acknowledge her instructions and then moved him. In another example, I was sitting next to a little old lady with a cane. She clearly had difficulty getting into her seat and should not have been sitting there. She knew better and not sure if the AA noticed or not. I didn't say anything. What's the difference? Perhaps I was tired and annoyed that she knew better but figured she wouldn't be an impediment if I needed to crawl over her and deal with the door. The other guy was bigger, was playing games with the FA, and wasn't confident he wouldn't be an impediment.

So ... if we see someone in the exit row who shouldn't be there, we should speak up at the time.
MSPeconomist and Franky16 like this.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 1:08 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by 757FO
So you decided to say nothing, in regards to a situation that could have caused you injury or death, and decided to fly anyway, and then asked for compensation? Do you value your life, and that of your fellow passengers so little, that a few hundred frequent flyer miles would make you happy? Man up next time, and do the right thing, and say something while it can still have an impact.

Agree 100 %.

OP, let me turn the tables on you !

If you could ( suppose only YOU) could tell they were incapable of performing the duties of an Exit Row pax. You then jeopardized the safety of ALL. You owe them all compensation.

Next time please speak up in time. You may save lives including yours.
enggeol, muji, mikeschemm and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
On the TV show airline, back around 2004-ish .... I remember several episodes that included WN gate agents denying boarding to drunk passengers, regardless of where they were going to sit. Has anyone seen AA do this? I haven't..
Old Apr 27, 2019, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
If these 2 older people

Easy young fella. 50 is the new 30 .
Old Apr 27, 2019, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
Easy young fella. 50 is the new 30 .
As someone who is in their 30s I take exception to that statement
Old Apr 27, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by AAway
On the TV show airline, back around 2004-ish .... I remember several episodes that included WN gate agents denying boarding to drunk passengers, regardless of where they were going to sit. Has anyone seen AA do this? I haven't..
I have ... in Vegas.
AAway, BWISkyGuy and VegasGambler like this.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 2:22 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by JDiver
My 75th birthday will be in a very few weeks.

OT But well deserved. HAPPY BIRTHDAY J DIVER> Your contributions to FT are much valued.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I have ... in Vegas.
I've never seen it anywhere else. I've seen it several times in Vegas though.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by villainstlucia
I can not say if the FA was smart enough to pour tonic water without Gin i the plastic cups.... or if he had a bottle somewhere.

What are your thoughts?
Seriously? Was rolling my eyes through most of the post but specifically at the quoted section lol.

Being anti-alcohol doesn’t warrant compensation.

I guess you’ve never flown international J/F where some passengers regularly get sloshed on 15 hour transoceanic flights. Some of these premium cabins have exit rows. It’s a safe bet that very few FAs would cut people off specifically because they’re sitting in an exit row. It just doesn’t seem to happen.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Often1
Now, OP should certainly report the incident. AA should look at whether its FA's (and perhaps the ground staff in boarding the drunks) failed. Perhaps someone else complained too and a second or third complaint will push AA to look at this carefully.
Yes, and I’m sure they’ll review the Admirals Club footage to see how many drinks the “offenders” had beforehand, and find out which FA served them, etc. Do you really feel they’d think it’s worth their time?

OP will get a generic canned response.

I have a feeling some people think there should be breathalyzer tests at the gate.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Five Star, Avis First
Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
JDiver is one of FT's most experienced and valuable moderators and contributors. He has been flying AA since the 1940s, hopefully soon to be in 9 different decades. No surprise that his posts are well-informed (and well-formatted) whatever his age.
HUGE Respect for JDiver!! God bless him!!
Old Apr 28, 2019, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
Honestly, if you're uncomfortable with the behavior of passengers during a flight or before a flight, you need to tell an FA. After the fact, it's pretty irrelevant. If the FA did nothing after you brought it to their attention, then that would be something to report to AA or the DOT.
Exactly! You should reports to FA right way. They will removed him from the aircraft. You have notify gate agents right way. It's extremely important. If you see suspicious behaviors. You must be aware of him.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 4:40 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Mariott Gold, AMEX Plat, US CP
Also, exits rows are labeled as MCE show people sitting in them get free unlimited drinks... so complain about a drunk person sitting in a row where they free drinks. What if someone comes on sober and then has several drinks in flight as a listed benefit of being in MCE.
SunkissedMommy likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 6:41 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by AAway
my dad was refused boarding on AA in SJO because he was drunk and rebooked the following day.
AAway and VegasGambler like this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by william142
Also, exits rows are labeled as MCE show people sitting in them get free unlimited drinks... so complain about a drunk person sitting in a row where they free drinks. What if someone comes on sober and then has several drinks in flight as a listed benefit of being in MCE.
Free drinks is not a license to get drunk. Free or paid is irrelevant; you are supposed to stop when you have had enough, and if you don't the FAs are supposed to stop serving you.
enggeol, TWA884, wrp96 and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.