Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I知 leaving - I guess AA won't miss me

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2019, 10:13 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by sbrower
Move to Mammoth. United was at $1,800 plus hotel to not take the one flight a day to LAX (the airport only has a TOTAL of one flight a day out).
Unbelievable!
Old Apr 28, 2019, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
Meal service got scaled back, seat pitch was reduced, seat in F were ripped out. IFE was removed. Power ports were yanked out.
Remember when Parker initiated the all beverages except water fee on board? That lasted what, a month? $2 for a coke LOL
Old Apr 28, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
I was US CP many year leading up to the merger. There was a time when US was a fairly nice airline to fly. Was it an east coast centric airline? Yup. But it was an airline that by and large knew how to serve business travelers and knew how to provide decent service. Parker got a hold of US and things went south pretty darn quick. Meal service got scaled back, seat pitch was reduced, seat in F were ripped out. IFE was removed. Power ports were yanked out. Morale swirled out and the new US became an airline that made WN look like an attractive option for business travel.
And before that, US went bankrupt. Twice. I too loved US Airways back in the pre-2003 era. However, clearly their business model wasn't working if it led to two bankruptcies in a short period of time. Not enough people were willing to pay a premium for better meal service, more seat pitch, more F seats, IFE, power ports, and so forth. Again ... I'd love nothing more than for the Stephen Wolf era of US Airways to return. It won't be anytime soon though.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
The fastest growing airlines are the ULCCs and for the US3 that is what Y- is coming close to.
Why should I fly the US3 over the ULCC痴 then?
Old Apr 28, 2019, 11:05 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by footballfanatic
whats wrong with AA's financials?
Their margins were lower than just about everyone except AS is Q1 2019.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 11:19 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
I was US CP many year leading up to the merger. There was a time when US was a fairly nice airline to fly. Was it an east coast centric airline? Yup. But it was an airline that by and large knew how to serve business travelers and knew how to provide decent service. Parker got a hold of US and things went south pretty darn quick. Meal service got scaled back, seat pitch was reduced, seat in F were ripped out. IFE was removed. Power ports were yanked out. Morale swirled out and the new US became an airline that made WN look like an attractive option for business travel.

In exchange, we got PHX as a hub...imagine my joy. Sure the route network may have improved but the hard and the soft products suffered immensely. Five years in to the US-AA merger and Parker still has plane in the air flying transcon routes without so much as a power port. He still has widebodies in the air where tablets are passed out for IFE in the J cabin.

All Parker seems to do is fly decent airlines into the ground. And, to keep this on topic, he doesn't seem to miss his HVCs when they leave.
i was CP with US for three years prior to the merger and flew them for five years total. I had a completely positive experience - constantly high upgrade clearing, plenty of international J award availability and great elite benefits. I don稚 recall seat pitch in F being reduced or power outlets or IFE being torn out or a decline in food quality (although airline food generally is poor). There never was IFE and power ports in F on US narrow body flights but my experience only dates back to 2009 with all of my travel TranCons and International.
I知 not claiming AA under Parker痴 leadership is good, just that US was run very well.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 11:36 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AA100k
There never was IFE and power ports in F on US narrow body flights but my experience only dates back to 2009 with all of my travel TranCons and International.
1998-late 2000s, the LUS Airbus fleet had power. You needed an adapter to use the ports. I still have mine somewhere. (I feel old talking about all of this!)
AA100k likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 11:50 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Everyone has their own reasons for their loyalty decisions. For thirteen years I was based out of both Chicago and New York. EXP every one of them except two years over on UA as a 1K. I chose AA over UA as the domestic and international upgrade situation was better (note I say was). Also premium class international travel cost fewer miles. And I found the staff more pleasant on AA. They really did bend over backwards for me on a few occasions. This is my last year as an EXP as I'm now semi-retired. I'll probably stay with AA as I'm lifetime Plat as long as they maintain free MCE for me as I'm rather tall and it really makes a difference for me. If and when they gut that benefit, I'll probably shift over to UA simply because *A will work better for me for international travel. Point of all of this is everyone has a different value equation based on multiple factors. Your issue is that JFK-ZRH has gone away and there is less frequency on JFK-LAS. I'm sure there were valid financial reasons for this but I doubt this will start a stampede for ex-NYC EXPs fleeing to Delta.

When times were tough, AA really seemed to care about its EXPs, Now that things are pretty good, not so much. It is a business after all.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

EXP today is what Silver,maybe Gold was 10 years ago.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by enviroian
EXP today is what Silver,maybe Gold was 10 years ago.
Hyperbole much?

I've been EXP for 8 years and PLT for 1 and can unequivocally dispute this statement. Exactly how do you defend this claim?
Old Apr 28, 2019, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Antarius
Hyperbole much?

I've been EXP for 8 years and PLT for 1 and can unequivocally dispute this statement. Exactly how do you defend this claim?
It was a statement made in relative jest.

Uptight folks on here!
Old Apr 28, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Antarius
they're only profitable due to Barclays and Citi.
And also the economy is relatively healthy, more people are traveling, and capacity reduced (thanks to the mergers). Despite that, AA can't make money flying airplanes.
Antarius likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Austin787
AA can't make money flying airplanes.
This leap of logic makes no sense. If AA sells miles to Citi, Citi gives them to me, and I redeem for air travel on AA, AA is making money flying planes. It's just an alternate payment method (and, quite frankly, a superior one for the airline)
Old Apr 28, 2019, 4:55 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Mariott Gold, AMEX Plat, US CP
I flew LAS to PHX yesterday and when I check bags I always board last. Over half the plane got in line when they called group 9. Basic economy. Times are a changing esp if that many people are buying basic economy.
jdanton likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA CK, DL GM, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH DIA
Originally Posted by william142
I flew LAS to PHX yesterday and when I check bags I always board last. Over half the plane got in line when they called group 9. Basic economy. Times are a changing esp if that many people are buying basic economy.
I noticed this on my SEA-ORD flight the other day. Group 9 boarding passes showed up way sooner than I would have ecptect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.