Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

"If you are connecting on the following flights please come forward first"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"If you are connecting on the following flights please come forward first"

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2019, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
This happened on my LBB-DFW flight on Tuesday. We were delayed over an hour and my connection to EWR had already been busted (50 minutes was moved to 6 hours after rebooking). They called for 7 people who now had tight connections to get up to the front and asked the rest of us to stay seated. I was on the aisle and once those 7 were up front, I got up and got my stuff out. Thought that it worked out well that way for people who still had a chance to make their connecitons.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by WiscAZ
I've actually had this happen 2 or 3 times this year. If people listen it actually works quite well and a handful of people rush up to make their connections. Honestly, it didn't add more than 2-3 minutes. The problem happens when people don't listen and then people try to get through which seems to clog up the aisles even more. The best though was the one where the FA asked people to wait and then allow F to deplane first (since we were leaving from the row 12 or whatever it is door. Yeah, no one listened to that one.
There wasn't an FA behind that door, standing in the aisle not letting people out until after F? Or was it the people in front of the door and behind F who insisted on deplaning first?
Old Apr 25, 2019, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond for Life
Yesterday on my flight from LAX to ORD, a similar situation occurred. (And same as OP, they couldn’t find a pilot in LAX.)

When making the announcement on the plane, they were much more firm in stating, “anyone with connections from x time to x time should deplane first”.

I thought this was much more effective than, “please sit down if you’re not in a hurry...”

But as mentioned above, it would be SO much more effective if they just listed off by name those that really do have the need to get off first.

When these situations come up, I do try to wait a few minutes for others to get off, but eventually you really don’t know if the guy in row 12 really is making a connection or has just decided to go for it.

I think if they listed off critical passengers by name, more people would be willing to acknowledge they are not the one in a hurry.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 1:36 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
This is a horrible idea that never works. It assumes that all connecting pax are in the aisle seats which obviously isn't true. So, the aisle people have to get up to let the middle/window pax up - at that point it's just as fast for them to walk straight ahead and get out of the way vs. sitting back down.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by sethb
There wasn't an FA behind that door, standing in the aisle not letting people out until after F? Or was it the people in front of the door and behind F who insisted on deplaning first?
There wasn’t a FA enforcing it at all. It was just a request that wasn’t followed. Unlike on international when it will be blocked by a FA. You’re correct though with Y passengers in between the door and F it’s hard to enforce.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bluehen1
This happened on my LBB-DFW flight on Tuesday. We were delayed over an hour and my connection to EWR had already been busted (50 minutes was moved to 6 hours after rebooking). They called for 7 people who now had tight connections to get up to the front and asked the rest of us to stay seated. I was on the aisle and once those 7 were up front, I got up and got my stuff out. Thought that it worked out well that way for people who still had a chance to make their connecitons.
I think if they said "We have [12] passengers that have tight connections yada yada yada" then it would work pretty well. Not sure they even need to read names (maybe just last names?).
I think putting a limit on how many people need to get up makes it easier for everyone else to remain seated. I'm sure someone could write a psychology thesis on this, but when they make only a general announcement, people probably think "oh everyone else will stay seated, I'm just one extra person, it won't matter, they'll think I have a connection too" and then it's a cascade of people standing up and nobody knows who is trying to actually make a connection. By saying it's "only 12 people" that also lets everyone know it won't take long for those folks to get off the plane and so the rest of you won't be delayed more than a minute or two.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 1:51 pm
Suspended

Thank god there aren’t more fliers like this.
BearX220, clbish, cedric and 11 others like this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 1:58 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by enviroian
...This was the only time I remained seated due to the stern tone of the flight attendants tone....
going for great!
How were they supposed to say it? In a cartoonish manner?

I'd say good for the FA's to realize the people with tight connections need to leave the plane first. I wish they did that when my flight to PHL (connection to RSW) was 45 minutes late.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 2:21 pm

Programs: Priority Club PLT, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
Originally Posted by ijgordon
The flight was 2 hours late and there were still people with the possibility of making their connections???
I don't understand why this is even remotely shocking. Certainly plausible that they could have had a 2- hour connection time originally scheduled. Which after a 2 hour delay, would equate to somewhere between a few minutes, to just under an hour, before the next flight departs.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 2:55 pm

In general, I am not a big fan of encouraging this behavior. I don't mind if the FA once a year says please allow family x the get off first since they got 20 minutes to catch a flight to HKG. Even in those cases it seems stupid, because your luggage won't make it.

But many of the times I have heard it: the flight has been on time and they are infrequent flyers worried about making a 45 min connection, because their ticket says "boards at.." They are trying to catch a flight that is already closed. They get off early and are waiting for their gate checked luggage.

In most cases, the FA doesn't have all of the needed information to make informed decisions and don't need the extra hassle of prioritizing disembarkation. The passengers in the back are often low value customers that shop on price, so AA has no incentive to improve their experience. If you are a FF that got stuck in the back, you have likely become conditioned to accept cancelled/missed flights and just roll with the results.
aamilesslave and mrcool1122 like this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
IMO, OP needs a dedicated subforum for complaints. There's like 4 threads a week.
clbish, iadisgreat, AAway and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by Antarius
IMO, OP needs a dedicated subforum for complaints. There's like 4 threads a week.
What's the stupidest, least substantive thing you can complain about?
DataPlumber and Antarius like this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by chris8796
In general, I am not a big fan of encouraging this behavior. I don't mind if the FA once a year says please allow family x the get off first since they got 20 minutes to catch a flight to HKG. Even in those cases it seems stupid, because your luggage won't make it.

But many of the times I have heard it: the flight has been on time and they are infrequent flyers worried about making a 45 min connection, because their ticket says "boards at.." They are trying to catch a flight that is already closed. They get off early and are waiting for their gate checked luggage.

In most cases, the FA doesn't have all of the needed information to make informed decisions and don't need the extra hassle of prioritizing disembarkation. The passengers in the back are often low value customers that shop on price, so AA has no incentive to improve their experience. If you are a FF that got stuck in the back, you have likely become conditioned to accept cancelled/missed flights and just roll with the results.
I book a lot of last minute flights and sometimes end up in the back. If i have a tight connection I'll try and get up front but it isn't always possible. I can tell you one thing. As a FF there is now way that I am going to accept that I'm going to miss my connection because you can't wait a minute to let me by. I'd be asking the FA to make an announcement and working my way up front as best I can.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 4:18 pm

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
To the original poster, pls don't leave AA for United. Thank you.
bambinomartino likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 4:46 pm

A little bit of empathy for other people goes a long way, OP

After all, as Keynes once said: in the long run, we're all dead.
Antarius and 757FO like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.