Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Worth getting AAdvantage Card to combat basic economy restrictions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2019, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Several...

I have a CSR which I love because it gives me phenomenal travel perks. But, I'm considering the co-branded Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® card to combat most of the cons of purchasing basic economy airfare.

It's been a looooooooooong time since I've had to purchase an airline ticket because I had family that worked for AA and I was a registered companion. But, now that we have moved on and happily found employment elsewhere, I'm suffering from a bit of sticker shock at these new (to me) basic economy fares. I thought basic economy was supposed to provide a less expensive option for people, but instead it seems the basic economy fares are the same price as the regular fares used to be and now you have to pay substantially more for what used to be basic service.

At any rate, we are planning a trip and the fares are 509/pp for basic economy and 579/pp for main cabin. That saves us 280 for our family of four. Plus luggage is $25/pp and so that's $200.00 in luggage round trip, which is waived with this cobranded card.

The card apparently gives you free first bag (domestic only), allows you group 5 boarding (even if you purchase basic economy which is group 9 with no carry on allowed). Since we fly frequently it seems like a good idea. At the same time, it seems silly to be obtaining a credit card just for free luggage. Has anyone done this, but not really used the card other than minor purchases to keep it active. I don't see using this one more than my CSR. It's worth noting that I live near an AA monopoly and there's almost no way to anywhere domestic without hopping on an AA flight. Your thoughts?

Last edited by soliloquy; Apr 21, 2019 at 8:47 pm
Old Apr 21, 2019, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You really don’t need to do anything but pay the annual fee to get the benefits. As you say, you’ll get free checked bags for up to 4 passengers and group 5 boarding. You still *won’t* get free seat assignments so your party could and will likely be separated quite often. And of course the tickets are not changeable - no standby, no same-day confirmed change, no voluntary changes whatsoever.

But otherwise what you propose is totally fine
JDiver and Antarius like this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 9:46 pm

Yes, many people get the AA card just for the checked bag / priority boarding benefits. The discount on onboard food and beverage purchases is nice too if you ever buy on board. As far as putting any spend on the card, it was never much good for that. 2 miles per dollar on AA purchases can't compete against CSR or even CSP.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 1:07 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
If you get one of the cards you should absolutely complete the minimum spend to get the introductory offer for the bonus miles.

You also might consider the Barclay card read aviator MasterCard, which also provides a free checked bag and priority boarding.

One other thing that you might want to consider from the Barclay card offering is that you get a companion pass after spending $20,000 a year, on any purchases. That may or may not be valuable based on the routes that you’re flying.

One other thing that you might want to be aware of is that if your family has young children, they will be seated with you within 48 hours of booking, which would make basic economy a more viable option for your family.

Since you seem to be new to purchasing airfare you also might want to be aware that there are often minimum advance purchasing requirements for many of the fair bases that AA files, these typically range from at least 2 to 3 weeks before ticketing. You will often find that you can get much better fares if you can plan a bit further in advance. You can use a service like ExpertFlyer to find out what the lowest fares filed on a given route are, and it might be helpful to you as you decide when to phurchase.

It’s also worth noting that if anyone in your group can get at least gold status which is the lowest level of elite status at American Airlines offers that status benefits will apply to all travel companions flying with the status holder, And that the free checked bag benefit for elite passengers, isn’t restricted to domestic travel. You may also find it worthwhile to consider a status with another one world partner, as you may or may not find it easier to obtain, particularly given that you’re planning to buy basic economy tickets.

I hope this is helpful and that you and your family have fun wherever you choose to fly!
Old Apr 22, 2019, 4:51 am
Original Poster

All very good points - thank you!
Old Apr 22, 2019, 6:48 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by soliloquy
The card apparently gives you free first bag (domestic only), allows you group 5 boarding (even if you purchase basic economy which is group 9 with no carry on allowed). Since we fly frequently it seems like a good idea. At the same time, it seems silly to be obtaining a credit card just for free luggage. Has anyone done this, but not really used the card other than minor purchases to keep it active. I don't see using this one more than my CSR. It's worth noting that I live near an AA monopoly and there's almost no way to anywhere domestic without hopping on an AA flight. Your thoughts?
Carry on's are allowed with basic economy on AA (whether there is room, may be a different story, but at that point they will check them for free for you assuming it is a carry on size). Also, there are plenty of people who obtain a credit card just for free luggage. Also note, luggage fees have gone up to $30 each way.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by soliloquy
(even if you purchase basic economy which is group 9 with no carry on allowed).
NB: Carry on IS allowed on basic economy on AA as of last September. Only UA still doesn't allow carry on on a BE ticket, and even then if you have status on UA, you can carry on.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 6:53 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
I have both, cards.

The sign up points is the best reason, to get the cards...

Aviator, CP is not a bad deal.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
NB: Carry on IS allowed on basic economy on AA as of last September. Only UA still doesn't allow carry on on a BE ticket, and even then if you have status on UA, you can carry on.
I would be careful with that exclusionary language. Instead of 'only UA still doesn't allow,' I might say that DL, AA, and AS do allow carry-on with Basic Economy/Saver fares. So do JetBlue's Blue fares. As for Spirit, Frontier and Allegiant - I will let others comment.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 7:25 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
It has a $450 annual fee, but if you are going to travel a lot, then the AA Exec card might make sense, you and any adults you trust and travel with (since additional cards are free) get AAdmirals Club membership and can guest in 1 person.
soliloquy likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I would be careful with that exclusionary language. Instead of 'only UA still doesn't allow,' I might say that DL, AA, and AS do allow carry-on with Basic Economy/Saver fares. So do JetBlue's Blue fares. As for Spirit, Frontier and Allegiant - I will let others comment.
As ULCCs, Spirit, Frontier, and Allegiant don't use the term "basic economy." Only DL,AA,AS and UA use that term. Of these, only UA still doesn't allow carry-on on a BE fare. Which is what I said.
seigex and soliloquy like this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 9:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Just don't overlook the most significant BE restriction. The fares are wholly inflexible. That means no voluntary changes of any kind. No change with a fee, no SDC with or without a fee. While this might not matter on a ticket that was cheap to begin with, you don't have to lose the value of many of these before you have more than lost the savings from having purchased BE in the first place.
soliloquy likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 9:15 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Originally Posted by Redhead
It has a $450 annual fee, but if you are going to travel a lot, then the AA Exec card might make sense, you and any adults you trust and travel with (since additional cards are free) get AAdmirals Club membership and can guest in 1 person.
I have received retention offers for the last 2 years, of $300.00 rebates,
donotblink likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Redhead
I did see that. I already pay a hefty fee for my CSR and it will remain my primary travel card unless something changes. I really only need it for the baggage and group boarding status. I can use Priority Pass with my CSR if I want a lounge. There are more Priority Pass lounges than AAC lounges at this point, it seems.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Just don't overlook the most significant BE restriction. The fares are wholly inflexible. That means no voluntary changes of any kind. No change with a fee, no SDC with or without a fee. While this might not matter on a ticket that was cheap to begin with, you don't have to lose the value of many of these before you have more than lost the savings from having purchased BE in the first place.
Yes, I understand. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.