Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Earning miles / LP on Qatar / QR, missing & delayed miles and other questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 2, 2019, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Earning Elite Qualifying Miles and Dollars, and Award Miles Flying on Qatar Airways link to page on aa.com

To earn AAdvantage® miles when you fly on Qatar Airways marketed and operated flights as well as Qatar Airways codeshare flights operated by oneworld® carriers and affiliates:
  • Buy an eligible published fare ticket in an eligible booking code
  • Fly an eligible route
On most flights marketed by partner airlines, you earn award miles based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class of your ticket. Specific flights, routes or cities that are excluded from earning miles or award travel are listed as exceptions if applicable.

AFFILIATE AIRLINES (none)

Qatar Airways marketed (“codeshare”) flights must be operated by a oneworld® or affiliate airline to earn AAdvantage miles. The ticketing or selling carrier or agent is immaterial to earnings.

Miles and other earnings may take a week or longer, and in some reported instances have not posted at all without intervention.

It is always advised to try to assure your AA Frequent Flyer Number is on your boarding passes, and we always advise retaining your boarding passes (or take screen shots of e-boarding passes) until your earnings have all posted.

Also see: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-partners.html
Print Wikipost

Earning miles / LP on Qatar / QR, missing & delayed miles and other questions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2021, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
It's R and I, but can't decide if I need to have it as an AA code and not a QR code. From what I recall, there is a big difference, but the website doesn't clarify.
Again it depends on exactly what routing you're flying on and the cost of the ticket, you have to do the math for each and every possible itinerary, there's no one "right" answer. That goes for all carriers, not just QR.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 9:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Again it depends on exactly what routing you're flying on and the cost of the ticket, you have to do the math for each and every possible itinerary, there's no one "right" answer. That goes for all carriers, not just QR.
It also depends what's important. You'll earn more EQM ticketing through AA, but an R fare is going to earn way more EQD (and probably more RDM) ticketed by QR.
JJeffrey likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
It also depends what's important. You'll earn more EQM ticketing through AA, but an R fare is going to earn way more EQD (and probably more RDM) ticketed by QR.
Not always, it just depends on the fare paid for the QR ticket. AT EQD = 0.2*miles flown, if you pay more than about $1400 before taxes and fees for a one way ORD-DOH ticket, you should purchase with AA as you'll earn more EQD and more EQM (2x vs 1.5x in R). Your award earnings will also probably be better on AA around that price if you have any status, and about the same if you're just a member (which you won't be for long if you're flying QSuite long haul).
Old Jun 19, 2021, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/2MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
So it sounds like I want to book it as an AA-coded flight. ORD-DOH-MLE-DOH-ORD on AA-coded flights for about $5k. That means I'd earn roughly $4-5k for EQD and around 55,000 redeemable miles since I earn 11x per dollar spent as a CK.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
So it sounds like I want to book it as an AA-coded flight. ORD-DOH-MLE-DOH-ORD on AA-coded flights for about $5k. That means I'd earn roughly $4-5k for EQD and around 55,000 redeemable miles since I earn 11x per dollar spent as a CK.
QR coded flights in R/I class on that routing would be 3675 EQD, 27563 EQM, & 40425 RDM (including elite mileage bonus).

So if you absolutely had to pay $5k out of pocket, the AA-coded flights make sense. QR based earnings become more attractive if you can find a fare below $3.8k or so (from EQD standpoint, at least).
SkyTeam777 likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/2MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by econ
QR coded flights in R/I class on that routing would be 3675 EQD, 27563 EQM, & 40425 RDM (including elite mileage bonus).

So if you absolutely had to pay $5k out of pocket, the AA-coded flights make sense. QR based earnings become more attractive if you can find a fare below $3.8k or so (from EQD standpoint, at least).
Back to bother the hive because I still can't seem to figure this out. I am considering crediting to AS instead now since my ticket was only $3,000 and AA-coded on the long sectors (ORD-DOH-ORD AA-coded, QR-operated and DOH-MLE-DOH QR-coded and operated). Since my EQDs on a cheap ticket like this aren't going to amount to much, I can't figure out if it's worth 20k-ish AS miles or 30k-ish AA miles. AS doesn't make it easy to understand how they award R/I fares on a -001 ticket.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
AS doesn't make it easy to understand how they award R/I fares on a -001 ticket.
Generally speaking, the marketing carrier is what determines OW alliance mileage earning regardless of what airline ticket stock is used.
Old Jul 3, 2021, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Generally speaking, the marketing carrier is what determines OW alliance mileage earning regardless of what airline ticket stock is used.
Yes, but Im trying to earn AS miles on AA-coded, QR-operated flight. Three carriers involved, and I just can't figure out how it earns as an R/I and if it's better to earn AA or AS miles.
Old Jul 3, 2021, 2:05 pm

Yes, but Im trying to earn AS miles on AA-coded, QR-operated flight. Three carriers involved, and I just can't figure out how it earns as an R/I and if it's better to earn AA or AS miles.
In that scenario, it will earn according to the AA earning chart on the AS webpage.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...rican-airlines

Earning on flights marketed and operated by American Airlines, or marketed by American Airlines and operated by another oneworld member airline.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In that scenario, it will earn according to the AA earning chart on the AS webpage.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...rican-airlines
Yes, but I cannot figure out which will earn more miles since I don't know how AA will calculate the EQD on the ticket since Im sure they will dump a bunch of the real cash saying it's taxes/fees. There's a QR-coded and QR-operated chunk of segments so it's just a big mess.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 2:33 pm

Yes, but I cannot figure out which will earn more miles since I don't know how AA will calculate the EQD on the ticket since Im sure they will dump a bunch of the real cash saying it's taxes/fees. There's a QR-coded and QR-operated chunk of segments so it's just a big mess.
If crediting to AA, you should earn on the QR-coded flights according to the QR earning chart on the AA webpage.

But agreed, the AA-coded flights will get messy. The way in which AA allocates EQD by segment in this case isn't entirely clear to me.
SkyTeam777 likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 8:40 am
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Booked QR JFK-DOH-HYD in J through Amex travel. I know I will earn EQM, but will I earn EQD?
Old Oct 13, 2021, 3:48 pm

I'm looking at booking IAD-DOH-JRO, earning AA miles, business class on QR operated flights. My priority for rest of the year is maximizing EQMs to qualify for PP if I can. (EQDs aren't an issue; I've already qualified for the waiver for this year, and would be over the $$ threshold for PP with this ticket purchase anyway.)

Considering the two connecting flights: 1) AA8120 (IAD-DOH) and 2) QR1499 (DOH-JRO). Since the flights would be purchased as a single ticket through aa.com, but only the first IAD-DOH flight is an AA codeshare, how are the overall EQMs calculated?

Does the AA codeshare flight follow AA earning guidelines, while the QR flight will earn under the QR partner chart guidelines? (So in effect the IAD-DOH leg will earn 2-3x EQM depending on booking code, while the DOH-JRO leg only earns 1.5x EQM?) Or would the entire trip earn under the AA guidelines, since purchased as an AA ticket?
Old Oct 16, 2021, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Booking directly on QR and crediting on AA

Trying to book a flight to DXB via QR so I can apply towards my EXP status for next year. Never booked directly on QR before and was wondering how the miles credit to AA especially if I buy the cheapest fare. Mostly concerned with EQMs and EQDs.

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
There is a field in the booking process where you enter your name etc and that's where you add your AA number
Antarius likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.