Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA/BA newbie question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2022, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K M, AA 2 MM PREM, AVIS First, HYATT Explorist, Marriott Lifetime Platinum., Hilton Gold.
AA/BA newbie question

Hello,
If this has already been asked here, I ask for forgiveness.
We are flying out NBO to LHR on BA and then LHR to RDU on AA. I am AA PLAT. I think our tickets are issued on BA tickets. Is there is a way for us to upgrade to Premium or Business using my AA miles?
My second question is do BA lounges provide access to AA PLATs in LHR. I am traveling with my wife and two children. Can all four of us go in (of course kids are little) so it would be really two adults on my AA PLAT status?
Thanks
Old Jan 30, 2022, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
You can only bring 1 guest per Oneworld Sapphire or higher elite member at the BA lounges in LHR, because they are generally quite full. Guests are anybody 2+ years old so 1 elite + 3 guests isn't going to happen...

You almost certainly cannot upgrade either. You will need to have booked a very expensive Y or B fare to upgrade on BA. And it would close to impossible to find 4 upgrades on an AA TATL flight.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 11:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
But you can't upgrade a BA ticket with AA miles anyway.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by ACC2008
Hello,
. I think our tickets are issued on BA tickets. Is there is a way for us to upgrade to Premium or Business using my AA miles?
Which website did you book on and how do the ticket numbers start?

Booked on AA then the ticket number will start 001-

If on BA then ticket numbers start 125-

Check your booking emails.

If you booked on AA then options to use your AA miles may open up but not if you booked via BA
Old Jan 30, 2022, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As above no-nil hope of an upgrade on BA-AA. AA-BA-IB have a cross airline upgrade scheme, but has onerous t&c's. As post above details of the ticket matter a lot
-->AA Partner Airline Upgrade Award - BA, IB, including codeshares (master thd)
Anyway the chances of upgrading 2 (or is 4 seats?) economy to PE-J are very low
Old Jan 30, 2022, 12:47 pm

Programs: American Life Time 2 Million Mile Platinum
On the NBO-LHR segment you may look for an at the airport cash up grade to PE on BA.

They can be fairly inexpensive depending on the day you fly and the number of people in the PE cabin on that flight.

On the LHR-RDU segment, you can call AA and ask for upgrades using your miles (plus cash) to see if they are available or be waitlisted for them).

All the best.
ACC2008 likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 12:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K M, AA 2 MM PREM, AVIS First, HYATT Explorist, Marriott Lifetime Platinum., Hilton Gold.
Originally Posted by mnhusker
On the NBO-LHR segment you may look for an at the airport cash up grade to PE on BA.

They can be fairly inexpensive depending on the day you fly and the number of people in the PE cabin on that flight.

On the LHR-RDU segment, you can call AA and ask for upgrades using your miles (plus cash) to see if they are available or be waitlisted for them).

All the best.
Thank you so much for explaining this. I appreciate it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.