Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Award on hold, schedule change, AA won't assist?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2019, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott

Hi:

I had an SAAVER award reservation on hold, all AA flights. Yesterday morning it got impacted by a schedule change and AA changed it to an itinerary with an overnight layover which is obviously not a good option as they're not paying for us to stay in a hotel overnight.

The agent refuses to budge and wont re-accomodate on flights that look similar to our original itinerary that would not have an overnight stay.

Am I expecting too much here? These schedule change was not something we caused.

My hold expires tomorrow and trying to get them on the phone for the past 2 days has been a nightmare.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Sorry to hear your inconvenience. However, if the awards aren’t not ticketed, they don’t really have any obligations to protect you.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: Everyone!
Man, that is an unpleasant surprise. Yeah, if I were to guess, I would think you are going to have a hard time getting any accommodation since it wasn't yet ticketed.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 11:19 am

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by islandguy84
Hi:

I had an SAAVER award reservation on hold, all AA flights. Yesterday morning it got impacted by a schedule change and AA changed it to an itinerary with an overnight layover which is obviously not a good option as they're not paying for us to stay in a hotel overnight.

The agent refuses to budge and wont re-accomodate on flights that look similar to our original itinerary that would not have an overnight stay.

Am I expecting too much here? These schedule change was not something we caused.

My hold expires tomorrow and trying to get them on the phone for the past 2 days has been a nightmare.
You have no recourse, as with any other product you only have rights when you actually buy the product, in this case ticket the flight. All the hold does is guarantee the price, which they honored
Old Apr 15, 2019, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I recently had an award ticket on hold where the agent also told me book purchase the award ticket and then call back for a better routing
it worked (Atl to BOM in J )
Old Apr 15, 2019, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
You could always go online, purchase the ticket with the new/bad routing, then call AA and play dumb, tell them you didn't realize there was a schedule change since you originally put it on hold, etc. etc. Worst they can do is say no. If you can't get anywhere, you can always cancel within 24 hrs. for no fee.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
You could always go online, purchase the ticket with the new/bad routing, then call AA and play dumb, tell them you didn't realize there was a schedule change since you originally put it on hold, etc. etc. Worst they can do is say no. If you can't get anywhere, you can always cancel within 24 hrs. for no fee.
they made it impossible to ticket online. I found another destination that worked for us but this was a nasty surprise that I won’t forget. At least this time I found somewhere else to go.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott
Ran into something similar today. Had a ticket on 24-hour hold. A day later the prices had doubled and there was a schedule change, which made it so I couldn't pay/ticket online today. It was easy to call in and ticket; I was slightly panicked that that wouldn't be an option and I'd have to pay a lot more. Unlike islandguy84, my schedule change wasn't fatal. It wasn't in my favor but I could live with it and if I had had that option originally, I still might have chosen it given its relative price. But if I had ticketed yesterday, I do wonder if I could have used the schedule change to hop to a better time.

The morale for me is there is a downside to waiting until the 11th hour to pay. It's not totally risk-free to wait.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
IMO, it's risky putting award tickets on hold these days with frequent schedule changes, flight cancellations, and occasional partner hold periods that aren't honored. If you've got the miles in your account, there's really no risk in ticketing the award outright and then cancelling/refunding it (with no penalty) if your plans change. YMMV.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jan 31, 2022, 7:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
I have had this happen as well in the past and AA was willing to work with me - once I found the right agent! HUCA!
Old Jan 31, 2022, 7:39 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
IMO, it's risky putting award tickets on hold these days with frequent schedule changes, flight cancellations, and occasional partner hold periods that aren't honored. If you've got the miles in your account, there's really no risk in ticketing the award outright and then cancelling/refunding it (with no penalty) if your plans change. YMMV.

-FlyerBeek
Yeah, this. With no cancel fees and quick refunds, I find it better to book and lock in. I would be wary of ticket holds that hold over onto a Sunday as the last Sunday of the month seems to be schedule update day (unless your award ticket is a close-in date which is more immune to schedule changes).
seawolf and FlyerBeek like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.