Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Award on hold, schedule change, AA won't assist?

Old Apr 15, 19, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat. AA Plat. UA Gold

Hi:

I had an SAAVER award reservation on hold, all AA flights. Yesterday morning it got impacted by a schedule change and AA changed it to an itinerary with an overnight layover which is obviously not a good option as they're not paying for us to stay in a hotel overnight.

The agent refuses to budge and wont re-accomodate on flights that look similar to our original itinerary that would not have an overnight stay.

Am I expecting too much here? These schedule change was not something we caused.

My hold expires tomorrow and trying to get them on the phone for the past 2 days has been a nightmare.
Old Apr 15, 19, 11:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, CX GR, AS MVP GLD
Sorry to hear your inconvenience. However, if the awards arenít not ticketed, they donít really have any obligations to protect you.
Old Apr 15, 19, 11:07 am

Programs: Only loyal to WN or Best Price/ Route
Man, that is an unpleasant surprise. Yeah, if I were to guess, I would think you are going to have a hard time getting any accommodation since it wasn't yet ticketed.
Old Apr 15, 19, 11:19 am

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by islandguy84 View Post
Hi:

I had an SAAVER award reservation on hold, all AA flights. Yesterday morning it got impacted by a schedule change and AA changed it to an itinerary with an overnight layover which is obviously not a good option as they're not paying for us to stay in a hotel overnight.

The agent refuses to budge and wont re-accomodate on flights that look similar to our original itinerary that would not have an overnight stay.

Am I expecting too much here? These schedule change was not something we caused.

My hold expires tomorrow and trying to get them on the phone for the past 2 days has been a nightmare.
You have no recourse, as with any other product you only have rights when you actually buy the product, in this case ticket the flight. All the hold does is guarantee the price, which they honored
Old Apr 15, 19, 3:17 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I recently had an award ticket on hold where the agent also told me book purchase the award ticket and then call back for a better routing
it worked (Atl to BOM in J )
Old Apr 15, 19, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
You could always go online, purchase the ticket with the new/bad routing, then call AA and play dumb, tell them you didn't realize there was a schedule change since you originally put it on hold, etc. etc. Worst they can do is say no. If you can't get anywhere, you can always cancel within 24 hrs. for no fee.
Old Apr 16, 19, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat. AA Plat. UA Gold
Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post
You could always go online, purchase the ticket with the new/bad routing, then call AA and play dumb, tell them you didn't realize there was a schedule change since you originally put it on hold, etc. etc. Worst they can do is say no. If you can't get anywhere, you can always cancel within 24 hrs. for no fee.
they made it impossible to ticket online. I found another destination that worked for us but this was a nasty surprise that I wonít forget. At least this time I found somewhere else to go.