Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

I'm upset with American today (missed international connection)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I'm upset with American today (missed international connection)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2019, 3:07 pm
HMO
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arlflyer
There is your big red flag right there. Expecting anything to get done in MIA on a time frame of less than about 5 hours is very wishful thinking...
I'm not used to this airport (amazing for a Brazilian, I know).

Usually I enter in USA via JFK, EWR or IAD. ^
Old Apr 15, 2019, 3:12 pm
HMO
Original Poster

Originally Posted by exwannabe
Not specific to MIA or even AA.

When the airline at origon can not check in to the connecting flight the pax is in a catch-22. The flight connection can be easily within the MCT, yet no longer any way to make the checking cutoff when the pax has to transfer terminals (as they have no way to get to the gate).

If this is a common issue with AA->LATAM, I would pad the connection. Alas, the OP kind of implied this was a one off, so not much to do otther than ask for AA to toss him some miles or credits.
I really hope it was a one off!

I went to AA's Customer Assistance in the airport, and they told me because it was weather related, they own me nothing. I'll write a complain, but I'm not holding my horses for any compensation.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 3:29 pm
HMO
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ashill

Yeah, and airlines can check bags through to any interline partner even on a separate ticket and when they can’t print boarding passes. That used to be routine, although AA and many other airlines are no longer willing to do it. But that’s a very clear case where interlined checked bags are not tied to the passenger being checked in.

Sounds like both AA and LATAM handled this quite poorly. AA claiming that it’s LATAM’s problem when AA failed to check the OP in all the way and then delivered the OP late on a single ticket is hogwash; in such a situation, it is the airline that caused the delay’s responsibility to handle the accommodation. I appreciate the OP’s roll-with-it attitude; I’d be rather furious.
I was furious, but I was also powerless. Scream and fight will probably just gave me a poor treatment from the agents.

LATAM agents were very helpful (and despite my upsetting, I was trying to be very courteous towards them). In the end they gave me the seat I requested (an aisle in the front of Y)

AA, in other hands... not the best impression.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 3:35 pm
HMO
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SJOGuy
What was the issue with your passport?
I really don't know. I wasn't able to web check-in earlier neither, because of it I arrived at DEN airport about 3 hs before departure.

They told me there was some system glitch, it was looping every time they entered my passport #. It took them about 40 minutes to partially solve it, issuing me only the DEN-MIA boarding pass.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 11:45 pm

I seem to always have issues checking in when connecting to an AA partner. I do wonder if more experienced agents could have resolved your issue, though. I have no idea what happens on that computer screen sometimes, but it seems a knowledgable agent can make just about anything happen (while perhaps bending some rules or using loopholes in how the system is supposed to operate). I don't suppose the agents at DEN even tried calling LATAM?
Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by HMO
Usually I enter in USA via JFK, EWR or IAD. ^
Smart! I'd keep this up, now that you've learned your lesson...
deeruck likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:33 am
HMO
Original Poster

Originally Posted by maskedmesothorium
I don't suppose the agents at DEN even tried calling LATAM?
Of course not! But thanks, I'll keep this suggestion in mind if it happens again ^
Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:40 am
HMO
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Smart! I'd keep this up, now that you've learned your lesson...
I kind of learned

Today I'm heading back to the USA, United via GRU-EWR-BOS and returning Friday via BOS-IAD-GRU. ^
arlflyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.