Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

I'm upset with American today (missed international connection)

Old Apr 14, 2019, 12:11 pm
HMO
Original Poster

I had today DEN-MIA-GRU, with two hours to change planes (and terminals) in Miami. First leg AA metal, second LATAM metal.

Because of the code share, I wasn't able to check in online. I arrived in AA's DEN counter with about 2.5 hours to spare, and the agent took about 40 minutes to check me in, because of some glitch of my passport number.

He was able to give me only DEN-MIA, and told me to go to LATAM's MIA counter to get the boarding pass. I asked if there is time enough, but he did it will be OK.

The flight sit in the tarmac for about 40 minutes after the departure time. The pilot just told us something about he was obligated to do a different route, therefore more fuel was needed.

The flight was supposed to arrive MIA at 7:20AM, but touched the ground about 8:15~8:20. I almost run between terminals D and J, arrived there about 8:45AM, just to be told that I didn't have checked in in the MIA-GRU flight, and the check in ended about 40 minutes ago.

They called AA, and found out I wasn't even protected for a subsequent flight, and AA told them it was their problem, they need to find me some space in LATAM metal, not AA metal (there is night flights from both companies tonight)

LATAM put me in the 7:55PM flight, and suggested me to go to AA ask at least for food vouchers. I went there, and the agent told me the delay was weather related, and AA had no obligation to provide me anything.

Obviously I'm not elite, and now I'm facing 11 hours of wait browsing Flyertalk.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: AAdvantage (Exec. Plat.)
Are you still in MIA? If so, PM me. I can get you guest access to the Admirals Club in Terminal E.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 1:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As you may be aware, there are high winds and other unsafe conditions across much of your route today. The departure delay and reroute is a safety matter and not worth discussing.

AA should actually rebook you, but it does not really matter whether it is LATAM. Bottom line is that you are stuck at MIA and need to figure out what you want. Be proactive in proposing the new flights.
Annalisa12 likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 1:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What is MCT for domestic AA to LATAM at MIA? AA delivered you late (even if the cause is weather) and it's their responsibility to rebook you (ask in the AA lounge if possible), but they might argue otherwise if your flight arrived more than one hour ahead of your departure if MCT is one hour. You might want to check the exact official arrival time of your AA flight.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 2:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by Often1
As you may be aware, there are high winds and other unsafe conditions across much of your route today. The departure delay and reroute is a safety matter and not worth discussing.

AA should actually rebook you, but it does not really matter whether it is LATAM. Bottom line is that you are stuck at MIA and need to figure out what you want. Be proactive in proposing the new flights.

Because of timing it's doubtful there's much to SA before 8PM. Flight tend to leave at night or early morning. There's nothing that can be done. Sometimes ATC won't at the last minute approve a flight plan forcing the pilots to scramble. It's out of AA's hand and just one of the issues with flying. My suggestion is that if the poster above can't get you into the AC pay the $59, take a shower, eat, have a drink and relax. There's nothing you can do and while AA/LATAM could have handled it better it's not either's fault.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 2:21 pm
HMO
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1

I already had booked a flight for today's night. I really didn't look for other options outside MIA - the majority of flights to Brazil departures at evening, I believe I have the best option given the circumstance.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 2:28 pm
HMO
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What is MCT for domestic AA to LATAM at MIA? AA delivered you late (even if the cause is weather) and it's their responsibility to rebook you (ask in the AA lounge if possible), but they might argue otherwise if your flight arrived more than one hour ahead of your departure if MCT is one hour. You might want to check the exact official arrival time of your AA flight.
The problem seems I wasn't checked-in for the MIA-GRU flight in Denver (it never happened to me before - I always believed that you are always checked for all legs at the first point - my mistake).

When I arrived at LATAM's MIA counter, It was 8:45 for a ETD 9:20. The agent told they ended the check in at 8:10. The DEN-MIA plane touched the ground about 8:15 - after LATAM closing the check-in for the MIA-GRU flight.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 4:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by HMO
The problem seems I wasn't checked-in for the MIA-GRU flight in Denver (it never happened to me before - I always believed that you are always checked for all legs at the first point - my mistake).

When I arrived at LATAM's MIA counter, It was 8:45 for a ETD 9:20. The agent told they ended the check in at 8:10. The DEN-MIA plane touched the ground about 8:15 - after LATAM closing the check-in for the MIA-GRU flight.
What was the originally scheduled departure time for the LATAM flight? I've never heard of a check in deadline of one hour and ten minutes, so closing check in at 8:10 seems wrong, although this may have been a way to deal with an oversold flight. There's a (slight) chance that you were IDBed and LATAM needs to pay according to USA DOT regulations. Check LATAM rules on this. Also, did you go to the gate for your LATAM flight or their landside check in counter? Or did you find some transit desk at MIA?

Did you have checked bags and were they checked only to MIA or through to GRU? [I'm not sure whether AA can check bags through onto a partner flight without also checking the passenger in for the flight, but they might be able to check someone in for the partner flight even if they're unable to print the boarding pass.] Iff you checked a bag, please inspect your baggage claim tag very carefully and verify with (AA and LATAM) airport staff that the bag was checked properly and will be on your current flight if it didn't make the earlier flight. You might need to go landside to retrieve the bag and then take it to a LATAM counter to be checked for your new flight.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Apr 14, 2019 at 4:09 pm
Old Apr 14, 2019, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by HMO
told me to go to LATAM's MIA counter to get the boarding pass.
There is your big red flag right there. Expecting anything to get done in MIA on a time frame of less than about 5 hours is very wishful thinking...
jcatman, Check, nancypants and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 5:39 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by arlflyer
There is your big red flag right there. Expecting anything to get done in MIA on a time frame of less than about 5 hours is very wishful thinking...
Not specific to MIA or even AA.

When the airline at origon can not check in to the connecting flight the pax is in a catch-22. The flight connection can be easily within the MCT, yet no longer any way to make the checking cutoff when the pax has to transfer terminals (as they have no way to get to the gate).

If this is a common issue with AA->LATAM, I would pad the connection. Alas, the OP kind of implied this was a one off, so not much to do otther than ask for AA to toss him some miles or credits.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 9:04 pm
C46

I'm not sure whether AA can check bags through onto a partner flight without also checking the passenger in for the flight, but they might be able to check someone in for the partner flight even if they're unable to print the boarding pass.
With SABRE the airport agents can label the bag for ANY flight, checked-in or not!
They just have to add a so called "Desired Segment" in the PNR and get the segments in order.

Maybe, thanks to QiK, a regular CSA can't do that anymore, as one needs to have a sign-in allowing them to modify the PNR.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:01 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by C46
With SABRE the airport agents can label the bag for ANY flight, checked-in or not!
They just have to add a so called "Desired Segment" in the PNR and get the segments in order.

Maybe, thanks to QiK, a regular CSA can't do that anymore, as one needs to have a sign-in allowing them to modify the PNR.
Yeah, and airlines can check bags through to any interline partner even on a separate ticket and when they cant print boarding passes. That used to be routine, although AA and many other airlines are no longer willing to do it. But thats a very clear case where interlined checked bags are not tied to the passenger being checked in.

Sounds like both AA and LATAM handled this quite poorly. AA claiming that its LATAMs problem when AA failed to check the OP in all the way and then delivered the OP late on a single ticket is hogwash; in such a situation, it is the airline that caused the delays responsibility to handle the accommodation. I appreciate the OPs roll-with-it attitude; Id be rather furious.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:57 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by HMO
I arrived in AA's DEN counter with about 2.5 hours to spare, and the agent took about 40 minutes to check me in, because of some glitch of my passport number.

He was able to give me only DEN-MIA
What was the issue with your passport?
Old Apr 15, 2019, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by exwannabe
Not specific to MIA
No, definitely not, being MIA just makes it about 5x worse
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:58 pm
HMO
Original Poster

What was the originally scheduled departure time for the LATAM flight? I've never heard of a check in deadline of one hour and ten minutes, so closing check in at 8:10 seems wrong, although this may have been a way to deal with an oversold flight. There's a (slight) chance that you were IDBed and LATAM needs to pay according to USA DOT regulations. Check LATAM rules on this. Also, did you go to the gate for your LATAM flight or their landside check in counter? Or did you find some transit desk at MIA?

Did you have checked bags and were they checked only to MIA or through to GRU? [I'm not sure whether AA can check bags through onto a partner flight without also checking the passenger in for the flight, but they might be able to check someone in for the partner flight even if they're unable to print the boarding pass.] Iff you checked a bag, please inspect your baggage claim tag very carefully and verify with (AA and LATAM) airport staff that the bag was checked properly and will be on your current flight if it didn't make the earlier flight. You might need to go landside to retrieve the bag and then take it to a LATAM counter to be checked for your new flight.
LATAM's ETD was 9:20AM. I also found weird 70m minutes cutoff, but anyway I arrived at their landsize counter T-35... There isn't connection airside between terminals - and of course AA & LATAM terminals are in the opposite side of the airport.

Regarding the bags, both were checked in DEN directly to GRU and arrived in my original flighty yesterday (BTW, one of them arrived with its handler broke, but is is an extra and upsetting story...)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.