Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Possible open jaw problem after flight cancellation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2019, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

So originally I was booked:

AA Flight
DFW->PVG (Shanghai)

AIr China Flights
PVG to HKG

AA Flight
HKG->DFW

Now.. I am flying DFW(AA)->HKG(Cathay)->PVG on the first leg after the crazy weather and cancellation in DFW (also downgraded from Business to Premium)

I have a meeting scheduled in Shanghai (PVG) but with the wonky schedule after rebooking, I am unsure if the meeting will be cancelled or not. I won't find that out until I land in Hong Kong unfortunately (due to timing). If I land in Hong Kong and no longer need to visit Shanghai, what is the best method of approach to just cancel that PVG/Shanghai leg and stay in Hong Kong, then fly out Hong Kong later that week?

Any ideas/help would be great.

Last edited by bht-kevin; Apr 13, 2019 at 9:08 pm
Old Apr 13, 2019, 9:22 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Originally Posted by bht-kevin
So originally I was booked:

AA Flight
DFW->PVG (Shanghai)

AIr China Flights
PVG to HKG

AA Flight
HKG->DFW

Now.. I am flying DFW(AA)->HKG(Cathay)->PVG on the first leg after the crazy weather and cancellation in DFW (also downgraded from Business to Premium)

I have a meeting scheduled in Shanghai (PVG) but with the wonky schedule after rebooking, I am unsure if the meeting will be cancelled or not. I won't find that out until I land in Hong Kong unfortunately (due to timing). If I land in Hong Kong and no longer need to visit Shanghai, what is the best method of approach to just cancel that PVG/Shanghai leg and stay in Hong Kong, then fly out Hong Kong later that week?

Any ideas/help would be great.
was this all on one ticket issued by AA?
Old Apr 13, 2019, 10:52 pm
Original Poster

Negative. The Air China flight from PVG to Shenzhen/HKG was booked separately.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 11:12 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
If you can get anything refunded for canceling the Air China leg do so, otherwise I’d abandon it.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 11:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
If it's simply a matter of canceling an extra segment with AA because of the IROPS, it should be no trouble. Just call AA when you need to drop the leg.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
If it's simply a matter of canceling an extra segment with AA because of the IROPS, it should be no trouble. Just call AA when you need to drop the leg.
INCORRECT ANSWER: No need to contact AA at all, just Air China.

Added later: as the outbound ticketed by AA includes CX to PVG, speak to AA (see my follow up post below, please.)

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 14, 2019 at 12:20 pm
Old Apr 14, 2019, 3:48 am

Programs: AA EXP
OP is referring to the leg he now has HKG-PVG on Cathay Pacific booked through AA since his original flight was to PVG. If his meeting is cancelled and he wants to remain in HKG, he needs to call AA to get that leg dropped, so not to risk cancellation of the return flight.
JDiver likes this.

Last edited by dickinson; Apr 14, 2019 at 3:51 am Reason: clarification
Old Apr 14, 2019, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
No need to contact AA at all, just Air China.
My understanding is the DFW-PVG (reroute DFW-HKG-PVG) and HKG-DFW were on the same AA ticket, as an open jaw. Why wouldn't they need inform AA if they want to drop the HKG-PVG segment from the reroute? If they don't inform AA, wouldn't this get the return HKG-DFW cancelled due to a no show on an earlier segment?
Old Apr 14, 2019, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
My understanding is the DFW-PVG (reroute DFW-HKG-PVG) and HKG-DFW were on the same AA ticket, as an open jaw. Why wouldn't they need inform AA if they want to drop the HKG-PVG segment from the reroute? If they don't inform AA, wouldn't this get the return HKG-DFW cancelled due to a no show on an earlier segment?
Lux, you are correct in the assumption. My worry is they will cancel the HKG to DFW return.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Whoever you speak to at AA, make sure you write down names, dates, times, and every other detail.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer

Lux, you are correct in the assumption. My worry is they will cancel the HKG to DFW return.
Gotcha. Air China is for the return, CX was included in the outbound ticketing. My apologies.

Call AA, use the words “trip in vain” referring to the HKG-PVG leg, and be very clear you intend preserving the return from Hongkers. As hotturnip says, write it down, ask for confirmation and double check on line in case they botch it.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 12:24 pm
Suspended

OP were you gonna rely on TWOV or do you have a Chinese Visa? I ask since you were originally OK for TWOV DFW-PVG and then PVG-HKG. Now that you are hitting HKG on the way you no longer could do TWOV unless you change your return and dont fly to HKG or change the way there to a place other then HKG
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 3:52 am
Original Poster

Quick update... Landed in HKG and didn’t need the PVG leg anymore. Called EXP desk and told them so due to the day delay. They dropped the HKG->PVG leg and my HKG-DFW return is still good. Phew. Good on AA and they ended up getting me in Business again.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 3:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craz
OP were you gonna rely on TWOV or do you have a Chinese Visa? I ask since you were originally OK for TWOV DFW-PVG and then PVG-HKG. Now that you are hitting HKG on the way you no longer could do TWOV unless you change your return and dont fly to HKG or change the way there to a place other then HKG
China VISA but good catch.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by craz
I was thinking the same thing as soon as I saw the revised routing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.