Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Award routing US-Eur OR ME-Asia rules changes 2 Apr 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award routing US-Eur OR ME-Asia rules changes 2 Apr 2019

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2019, 3:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Can one transit in Middle east and Europe on the same award or is it only one or the other? As of this past Sun Mar 31 I saw several options on QR going through DOH and Europe for 40K and none after 3 days.
Looking at QR's routing rules, there seems to be no fare that allows that routing

As such, it is quite correct that it would be charged as 2 awards, regardless of any changes that have occurred

Last edited by Dave Noble; Apr 5, 2019 at 3:21 pm
Old Apr 5, 2019, 3:32 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Looking at QR's routing rules, there seems to be no fare that allows that routing

As such, it is quite correct that it would be charged as 2 awards, regardless of any changes that have occurred
Correct or not, what is correct is that something changed this year with regard to the kind of travel mentioned by the OP.

On aa.com and on the phone AA would price India-DOH-Europe-US at 40k miles in economy class, at least late last year and earlier this year.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 5, 2019 at 3:41 pm
Old Apr 5, 2019, 3:57 pm

The fact that they would do something like this (and also the EY rule changes) seems to suggest that specific award levels aren't going away on AA, because without award charts (see UA), they could just set an arbitrary price for any route/date. But then again, maybe the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Doesn't seem like they would need to do anything like this (and also the EY rule changes) if specific award levels are going away sometime soon in imitation of UA. But then again, maybe the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.
What I was wondering was how does this brand new EY stuff integrates with the previous rumors about EY leaving AA for UA-- seems a bit counterintuitive, to me at least.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Big ups to @UA Fan!

This change he discovered is kinda minor, but was part of a bigger package of April 2 changes that **appears** to be *great* news regarding use of EY on awards!

Oddly the rule that I mention above was always there (well, for a year at least) in the documentation but wasn't being enforced for some reason-- as others clearly noticed.

(this is from March of last year):
The QR changes are not minor to an India flyer like me, but I like the EY changes and wish they came last Dec Thanks for digging this up.
JonNYC likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:30 pm

The QR changes are not minor to an India flyer like me, but I like the EY changes...
The EY changes mean USA-AUH demand will increase, so it is bad for India flyers.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1M
The EY changes mean USA-AUH demand will increase, so it is bad for India flyers.
Good point. This is even worse.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 5:17 pm
Suspended

The fact that they would do something like this (and also the EY rule changes) seems to suggest that specific award levels aren't going away on AA, because without award charts (see UA), they could just set an arbitrary price for any route/date. But then again, maybe the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.
I wouldn’t jump to any conclusions at this point about EY and AA other than maybe award ticket flights on EY provide AA with lower costs than some other AA redemption partners do — maybe even lower costs than QR flights — for the relevant market.

Removing published award charts or parts thereof doesn’t mean that the FFP-owning airline is without award charts of sort. DL pulled its published charts in ways and yet there are still award charts used by DL; and non-published award chart pricing remains relevant for awards on partner airlines even as its way less relevant to using DL miles for DL flights than it used to be.

Redeeming miles on partner airlines tend to stick to specific award levels (and binary availability logic) in a way that redeeming miles on the program owner’s own airline may not. It’s been the case with redeeming DL miles, for example. And UA and AA seem to play “Follow the Leader” when it comes to airline loyalty program changes.

USA-India flying passengers getting another option to use miles to get to/from India without an award travel cost hike in miles isn’t a bad thing for this US-India flyer. While I could see this change with award travel on EY increasing USA-AUH demand, the potential easing of pressure on demand to fly QR is useful to me.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 5, 2019 at 5:24 pm
Old Apr 5, 2019, 6:10 pm
Suspended

The QR changes are not minor to an India flyer like me, but I like the EY changes and wish they came last Dec Thanks for digging this up.
Sure thing! You get the credit for making me look!

Here's the exact section on this, from April 2:
Attached Images  
Old Apr 5, 2019, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Here's the exact section on this, from April 2:
In those two options, the left box is the old rule, the right box is the new rule?
Old Apr 5, 2019, 9:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by anabolism
In those two options, the left box is the old rule, the right box is the new rule?
I should have been more clear, I just realized that, yes-- it's a "before and after" (April 2)
Old Apr 5, 2019, 9:11 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
I should have been more clear, I just realized that, yes-- it's a "before and after" (April 2)
Yeah, I just realized that and edited my post, I guess at the exact instant you were replying.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 3:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dave Noble

As for DFW-LHR-DOH-COK (or it’s reverse, or for DFW-LHR-AUH-BOM) in economy class, which two awards are used and what are the price levels of each of the 2 awards used? It seems like it’s the US-Europe@30k miles + Europe-India@20k miles. Depending on the time of year of the flights, the cost of US-Europe-India routing via the Middle East may be as low as 42.5k miles in economy class, but will mostly be 50k miles (even as before this month it was at 40k miles regardless of time of year). US-India in economy class remains at 40k miles year-round when connecting via Europe only; and it also does potentially remain at 40k miles when connecting via the Middle East without a connection in Europe.

Per the award charts (as well as otherwise): US-Europe in economy class is 22.5k or 30k. US-Middle East, as with US-India, is 40k in economy class. Middle East-India is 17.5k in economy. Europe-Middle East is 20k in economy. Europe-India is 20k in economy.

So some of that US-India travel which used to cost 40k miles earlier this year will now cost a combined total of 42.5k miles or 50k miles (for using two awards where previously a single award was applicable).

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 6, 2019 at 4:09 am
Old Apr 6, 2019, 8:43 am
Suspended

Good summary

Gary Leff has done a great job incorporating these brand new rules (along with some stuff I didn’t yet post/tweet) in a comprehensive guide:
https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...on-exceptions/
Old Apr 9, 2019, 10:45 am

Hi,
Anyone knows if, with the new routing rules, it would be possible to add a new EUROPE-AUH segment to an existing AUH-SYD ticket, issued prior to the recent changes? (And at the current mileage cost for a single award EUR-AUS). Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.