Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Unbelievable aa reply to account closure for fraudulent credit card use

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unbelievable aa reply to account closure for fraudulent credit card use

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2019, 7:08 am

Programs: UA 1K
Assuming this is not an April fool's joke, I'm 100% on board with AA asking for 100% of the balance for each of these tickets. There is a 24hr cancellation policy for purchased tickets. OP purchased tickets and did not cancel within 24 hours. OP violated terms of service, committed fraud, etc. If I sign a purchase order for my business, that's a contract. I assume airlines view purchasing tickets as the same, and I assume all of these tix were non-refundable after 24 hours.

Go get him, AA!
Old Apr 4, 2019, 8:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by gold23
Assuming this is not an April fool's joke, I'm 100% on board with AA asking for 100% of the balance for each of these tickets. There is a 24hr cancellation policy for purchased tickets. OP purchased tickets and did not cancel within 24 hours. OP violated terms of service, committed fraud, etc. If I sign a purchase order for my business, that's a contract. I assume airlines view purchasing tickets as the same, and I assume all of these tix were non-refundable after 24 hours.

Go get him, AA!
Nah, just disown him, and let him perform similar QA for DL and UA. They can also benefit from free labor.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is anyone else finding this thread repetitive? Asking for a friend.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 8:19 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by donotblink
I think the question may have been were other people engaging in this type of behavior. I think it might be the case. You used to have a lot of time to redeem paper vouchers, and now they have to be postmarked or presented at the airport by a specific date.
correct, perhaps I didn’t make that clear. If this is/was a software glitch, it seems that many others could have discovered this and used this to hold flights.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: DL PM etc
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
This isn't really illegal. If I call up a store and say "please hold some milk for me", then go to the store, and offer them canadian cash or my monopoly money for the milk - the grocery store will simply say "no we don't accept that", and I will say "okay" and leave. Nothing here is illegal, except after 3 years of doing this the store will probably say "yeah we don't want you as our customer".

This is exactly what happened here. Nothing illegal or fraudulent in providing an invalid form of payment (since OP never actually got the goods/tickets). But sure, AA might not like this after 3 years and kick them out as a customer. AA offers free five-day holds, so they can't even ask for damages here unless they are so incompetent that they cannot validate and void a reservation on an invalid card within 5 days.

Frankly AA should be thanking the OP in revealing this critical flaw in their ticketing system.
Given that a contract isn't established until the 13 digit ticket number is issued, which clearly wasn't issued in this case, i don't see what OP did was legally wrong. Ethically, maybe, but legally there hasn't been a contract established without a ticket being issued/payment made, so there isn't really anything wrong here all things considered.

Flyertalk has hammered into our heads many times that you have nothing until you have the actual 13 digit eticket. All the PNR/Reservation/TicketPending etc don't matter at all in terms of a legally binding ticket contract to transport someone. So why do they suddenly matter in this thread? OP made just a booking and didn't make a valid payment - so no contract. AA can decide to drop OP as a customer, but i don't see any legal issues of fraud here.
The grocery store analogy is inapt. One, who would ever call a grocery store to ask for a product to be held? Two, such a call does not a contract make. The grocery store is not accepting a promise from the nervous potential milk customer to buy the milk in exchange for removing it from the shelf. If anything, the grocery store is merely affording the customer a courtesy. The key difference being that the grocery store does not ask for a form of payment on the phone call, and would be free to sell the milk to someone else if there was only one carton of milk left in the store and another customer appeared and offered to buy it.

In the airline example, the contract is clear. The customer promises to pay, now, by clicking a "Pay Now" button and by tendering a payment method. The airline accepts the offer by removing inventory and putting it in a reservation.

"Illegal" is thrown around too loosely. It's not clear whether it refers to criminal activity or some other conduct that fouls the contractual relationship between the parties. Breach of contract is conduct that subjects the actor to liability for broken bilateral promises. Fraud in the formation of a contract may render a contract void and may create liability for damages. These are issues of contract law, not criminal law. And you don't have to actually receive tickets for it to be fraud; it is enough that the customer got some benefit. Here, that benefit is the holding of a reservation which the airline would otherwise not have granted the customer.
JonNYC, dickinson and TWA884 like this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by josmul123
If you'd bothered to click any of those links in the bottom, you would have found your answer.
Almost all (maybe all) the fare rules state the following:

By clicking pay now, you agree to the terms of the fare, and you create a reservation. The fare rules state you must ticket by midnight 1 day after making a reservation (which happens when you pay for it with a real method of payment). Ergo, you've violated the fare rules by creating a reservation with an invalid credit card (Unless you rectify the situation such that ticketing is completed by midnight 1 day after making the reservation), aside from the fact that you fraudulently provided a bogus card in the first place, which I liken to bouncing a check. You've entered into an agreement bound by the fare rules and CoC when you click Pay Now, and OP can and will be held to those rules, which include tendering payment to advance the ticket to Ticketed status "by midnight 1 day after making a reservation."

Seriously, it was one click.
This seems to be in conflict with the holds for up to 7 days that AA allows for a fee (7 days for $15.99 on one itinerary I just checked).

I think it's the knowingly providing an invalid credit card is the illegality, and not because the T&Cs say something that is contradictory to other things AA says.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mrcool1122
"Illegal" is thrown around too loosely. It's not clear whether it refers to criminal activity or some other conduct that fouls the contractual relationship between the parties.
This is pretty clearly illegal in every sense of the word. It's both a criminal offense and one which creates civil liability.

On the criminal side, there could be several charges... take your pick. Wire fraud ("Fraud by wire, radio, or television") is the obvious one (it has a nice broad definition)
Old Apr 4, 2019, 12:56 pm
Suspended

Thumbs up

The grocery store analogy is inapt. One, who would ever call a grocery store to ask for a product to be held? Two, such a call does not a contract make. The grocery store is not accepting a promise from the nervous potential milk customer to buy the milk in exchange for removing it from the shelf. If anything, the grocery store is merely affording the customer a courtesy. The key difference being that the grocery store does not ask for a form of payment on the phone call, and would be free to sell the milk to someone else if there was only one carton of milk left in the store and another customer appeared and offered to buy it.

In the airline example, the contract is clear. The customer promises to pay, now, by clicking a "Pay Now" button and by tendering a payment method. The airline accepts the offer by removing inventory and putting it in a reservation.

"Illegal" is thrown around too loosely. It's not clear whether it refers to criminal activity or some other conduct that fouls the contractual relationship between the parties. Breach of contract is conduct that subjects the actor to liability for broken bilateral promises. Fraud in the formation of a contract may render a contract void and may create liability for damages. These are issues of contract law, not criminal law. And you don't have to actually receive tickets for it to be fraud; it is enough that the customer got some benefit. Here, that benefit is the holding of a reservation which the airline would otherwise not have granted the customer.
Incredibly informative and incisive posts on the subject, @mrcool1122 !
Old Apr 4, 2019, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA ExePlat
This thread has outlived its usefulness, and I suggest that it be closed.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA
Originally Posted by jsieds
This thread has outlived its usefulness, and I suggest that it be closed.
Already suggested this previously. It's all rinse and repeat at this point..
jsieds likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Given that a contract isn't established until the 13 digit ticket number is issued, which clearly wasn't issued in this case, i don't see what OP did was legally wrong. Ethically, maybe, but legally there hasn't been a contract established without a ticket being issued/payment made, so there isn't really anything wrong here all things considered.

Flyertalk has hammered into our heads many times that you have nothing until you have the actual 13 digit eticket. All the PNR/Reservation/TicketPending etc don't matter at all in terms of a legally binding ticket contract to transport someone. So why do they suddenly matter in this thread? OP made just a booking and didn't make a valid payment - so no contract. AA can decide to drop OP as a customer, but i don't see any legal issues of fraud here.
It's fraud.
enpremiere and GFrye like this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 1:52 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I think more specifically, it’s “pay it or you’re done with AAdvantage”. I’d be surprised if OP were banned from actually flying AA, assuming he pays for his tickets.
As much as I respect both the "mover" (poster) and the "seconders" (likes), I am going to disagree on this one. I suspect (others can correct me) that in this instance AA is actually going to BAN the OP from purchasing tickets on AA. This isn't a problem with misuse of FF miles. This is a demonstration of a customer who believes that it is okay to commit actual intentional fraud. You can spin it any way you want, but from AA's perspective, I am pretty confident that I am seeing it correctly. And IF they think this person wants to walk away after being caught in such conduct, then I think AA is going to decide that there is no net profit in dealing with such a person.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Not only is it breach by the customer, it is also basic fraud because the customer 1) knowingly made a misrepresentation by tendering a credit card the customer knows was invalid 2) intending to make the airline do something (hold inventory) for the customer's benefit and 3) the airline actually did it.
Originally Posted by cova
Fraud in deed. Seems like the OP could even be criminally charged for fraud.
Given that a contract isn't established until the 13 digit ticket number is issued, which clearly wasn't issued in this case, i don't see what OP did was legally wrong. ... but i don't see any legal issues of fraud here.
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I cannot see how that would not be legally wrong
Originally Posted by moondog
Since I haven't been involved in law for the past ~20 years, my legal knowledge is not up to date, but if you put 5 high level attorneys in a room together, they can surely figure out an angle to school the OP (i.e. identify an obscure law he has violated).
Let me try to shed some light here. (Yes, I'm a practicing attorney, for slightly more than 30 years.) If OP actually manages to get a ticket using the invalid credit card, that's larceny. Whether it's grand larceny (typically a felony) or petit larceny (typically a misdemeanor) depends on the amount, which varies from state to state in the U.S. In NY, for example, it's petit larceny up to and including $1,000. Above that it's grand larceny. If OP tries to buy the ticket using an invalid credit card, but AA picks up on it (typically when attempting to authorize the charge), it's technically attempted larceny. However, a merchant almost never does anything about it, because it's typically due to an innocent mistake like mistyping the card number, payment not posted yet, or similar. OTOH if this is OP's standard practice, I could see AA using that as leverage during a conversation/negotiation with the OP.
moondog and GunsOfNavarone like this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 8:46 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Has AA actually rectified this issue?
Old Apr 4, 2019, 9:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by donotblink
Has AA actually rectified this issue?
seriously?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.