Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Unbelievable aa reply to account closure for fraudulent credit card use

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unbelievable aa reply to account closure for fraudulent credit card use

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2019, 1:48 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Whether or not the OP is an April Fool's joke, it certainly sounds believable. Either way, the poster is not likely to be sued by AA. Rather, it sounds like AA is basically saying "we see how you've been behaving and we don't want to do business with you anymore".

In this situation unless one has millions of miles, it would be better to just walk away. Honestly based on the OP's travel patterns it sounds like he or she would be very happy over at Southwest. No change fee, you can book, cancel, and rebook as many times as you want out of any inventory bucket and nobody will care. Just be sure to start an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of all those travel credits.
dciolli and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA
Question. OP stated that it was an AA CC that was expired and still in his account. From the DL Amex perspective whenever your get a new card from Amex for whatever reason(lost, coming up on expiration date, etc) it automatically updates in the DL system "wallet". If you close your DL Amex card IIRC the card is automatically removed from your DL wallet as the preferred method of payment. I would assume OA's do the same with their co branded cards? You would think that once this card was closed, cancelled or whatever it would be automatically removed as the payment method and wouldn't be stored unless it was some sort of system bug.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 2:10 pm

Programs: United Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by AeRoSpaceman
Question. OP stated that it was an AA CC that was expired and still in his account. From the DL Amex perspective whenever your get a new card from Amex for whatever reason(lost, coming up on expiration date, etc) it automatically updates in the DL system "wallet". If you close your DL Amex card IIRC the card is automatically removed from your DL wallet as the preferred method of payment. I would assume OA's do the same with their co branded cards? You would think that once this card was closed, cancelled or whatever it would be automatically removed as the payment method and wouldn't be stored unless it was some sort of system bug.
I would assume, as a general rule of thumb, that whatever DL’s IT systems were capable of doing 15 years ago, AA’s are capable of doing now.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 2:28 pm

The only reason I brought it up as airlines have a very close relationship with the banks of their co branded cards and their systems are intertwined more than most people think so there is a lot of data sharing. Now with a credit card from Okey Dokey bank who knows...
Old Apr 2, 2019, 2:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by hfb606
I was just thinking the same thing. This was written on April 1st.
It was posted on April 2nd at 15:05 based on my timezone - 27 hours late for an april fools joke here
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 3:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I'm really confused on AA's technology. If I go to Best Buy and buy $700 of merchandise on a credit card the card must be validated open and sufficient credit available before I walk away with the merchandise. Otherwise the card is declined and no sale. Wouldn't AA's technology do the same? When I book a flight on DL I immediately get confirmation presuming that the charge went through on my card. This of course is outside of the scope of whether the actual authorized user made the charge.

The fact that someone could use a closed card for 3 years to book flights is truly astounding. Is AA's technology that bad?
Old Apr 2, 2019, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
OT-- I'm a DL flyer but man do I love the AA threads.
I’m a UA flyer. Former US Gold whose parents are both EXP, hence I hang out here a bit. The AA fraud/account locked thread is my FAVORITE thread on Flyertalk, bar none. I think that this one is now my second favorite.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by SS255
My first thought when reading the post was "At least the OP admitted to fraud upfront. Now it won't take 25 pages of Flyertalkers coaxing the truth out little by little."
Reminds me of my favorite KenM comment chain where everyone tries to figure out what he means

Old Apr 2, 2019, 3:34 pm
Suspended

Talking

OT-- I'm a DL flyer but man do I love the AA threads.
Originally Posted by SS255

I’m a UA flyer. Former US Gold whose parents are both EXP, hence I hang out here a bit. The AA fraud/account locked thread is my FAVORITE thread on Flyertalk, bar none. I think that this one is now my second favorite.
HA!! That's kinda great.

Hey, I'm a DL flyer myself at this point and I feel the same
SS255, AeRoSpaceman, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
It just sounds implausible because whenever I have used an expired credit card by mistake - usually when it was saved in an airline account, on Amazon, or to pay my garbage bill every month, if it has expired it immediately tells me the card has expired/was closed and to give them a new card number.
The OP did not say that the card was expired. I'm not sure why everyone is saying that. The OP stated that he closed the account.

There is a difference between closing an account, and having it expire. The expiration date is entered when you enter the card information. So of course they should know that a card is expired.

Citi AA cards do not automatically show up as payment methods on AA when they are opened (I have 4 of them and none of them show up in my payment methods). Do they disappear when they are closed? That sounds like it would be beyond AA's abilities.

Hell, yesterday UA was showing one of my Amex cards as expired, even though the expiration date is 12/19. 8 months early...
AeRoSpaceman, wrp96 and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 3:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I have to say I agree with the comments from those posters who find it hard to believe that AA's IT is so poor that it couldn't detect that the credit card being used had expired. One of the key pieces of information in any CC transaction is the expiry date and it should be very easy to incorporate some logic into the web page that checks whether the card is still valid before you're allowed to use it. There is also the Luhn algorithm that will confirm whether the CC number entered isn't invalid. It shouldn't really matter whether the card number is being entered manually into the payment page or whether it's being used from an online wallet - you'd still want to check that the CC hadn't expired before you submit the payment request.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 4:00 pm

Programs: BA, JAL
I dunno if it's been suggested or how plausible a defence it could be, but if the OP has security concerns about airlines holding his credit card information, it might be seem reasonable to a lay person such as myself to have this held on file with a booking until he/she progressed a purchase. Only last year BA was hacked and credit cards held on file were compromised. If the OP benefited by booking tickets after the 24 hour hold period then maybe that would be a problem to defend. Similarly if there was an initial payment (non-refundable deposit) that was never received. Good luck to the OP. Although he looked to leverage a benefit, many others have in many similar situations would always look to find an advantage.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 4:08 pm

I agree with some posters saying that the 68k/21k is AA telling the guy to screw off, but it would be interesting to see what would happen if AA did sue the OP. I doubt they would be able to recover much that way as it sounds like the tickets were cancelled well before departure, effectively negating the contract.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 4:18 pm

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Looks like the OP disappeared? Maybe the AA police nabbed him!?
cesco.g and mcrw00 like this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
The OP did not say that the card was expired. I'm not sure why everyone is saying that. The OP stated that he closed the account.

There is a difference between closing an account, and having it expire. The expiration date is entered when you enter the card information. So of course they should know that a card is expired.

Citi AA cards do not automatically show up as payment methods on AA when they are opened (I have 4 of them and none of them show up in my payment methods). Do they disappear when they are closed? That sounds like it would be beyond AA's abilities.

Hell, yesterday UA was showing one of my Amex cards as expired, even though the expiration date is 12/19. 8 months early...
I hear you and agree. The bolding above is the premise of my post above. With airlines that have co-branded cards and the banks they are attached to are very intertwined with data going back and forth mostly instantaneously or within a 24 hour period. For instance I had to get a replacement Delta Amex as the magnetic stripe on mine was FUBAR. When I got my replacement card(which had the same number but a new EXP Date and CVV/CVC) and I activated it, I checked DL website later in the afternoon and it was already updated without me having to do a thing, same thing as when I was upgraded to the DL platimum card. I'm not here to hype DL or anything but I just figured it was a common association between airlines and the bank of their co-branded card to communicate discrepancies/updates with each other to prevent this such issue from happening. Maybe I am over thinking this.. Man, please don't let me become "police report" guy.. LOL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.