Wiki Posts
Search

Last minute upgrade priority question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2019, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Last minute upgrade priority question

for 2019 -

lets say youre EXP and have your complimentary upgrade in the system.... but it hasn’t cleared. You get to the airport and have an hour before boarding and notice you’re not #1 on the queue but somewhere less than that.

If you call the desk and have your upgrade changed from the complimentary to either a SWU or Awards/CO-Pay.... does that trump a complimentary upgrade at the airport. I swear this worked for me one time... but then I called the desk and they said that won’t effect anything either.... ???
Old Mar 27, 2019, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Yes, switching to SWU or a mileage award will move your priority above EXPs requesting a complimentary upgrade. But I am fairly sure you cannot request either within one hour of departure. At least that's what I was told when trying to request a mileage upgrade at T-2.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 9:06 pm

Programs: DL DM, Ex-AA EXP, HZ Pres, MRT AMB/LTP
Within the 24hr mark you’re unable to use SWU/miles+$ upgrade instruments.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 9:32 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum; Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by krakendown
Not true. I’ve done this on many occasions, even within an hour of departure (though with the stress of waiting for the booking to re-ticket).
JDiver and JohnDCA like this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by AAEmpireState

Not true. I’ve done this on many occasions, even within an hour of departure (though with the stress of waiting for the booking to re-ticket).
I should have added. YMMV. I’ll have to try this tonight. Will update.
AAEmpireState likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 9:48 pm

I should have added. YMMV. I’ll have to try this tonight. Will update.
Well I can confirm you can get waitlisted for SWU <24hr.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 12:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold

Well I can confirm you can get waitlisted for SWU <24hr.
and I've bought a same day ticket and applied mileage upgrade within a few hours no problem (same with BXP1)
Old Mar 28, 2019, 4:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
I was #1 on an ex LAX flight in December 4 hours out. By the time I got to the AC I had been lept over. The agent told me someone behind me had just pulled out a SWU. She asked me if I wanted to do use an SWU to get back to #1 . It's obviously possible.
jcatman likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 7:51 am

You're thinking of a different airline. Delta and United have cutoff rules like this. AA does not have any pre-defined limit on when you can apply an upgrade instrument, although it becomes harder to convince people to spend the time on it the closer you get to departure time.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 8:23 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by jordyn
You're thinking of a different airline. Delta and United have cutoff rules like this. AA does not have any pre-defined limit on when you can apply an upgrade instrument, although it becomes harder to convince people to spend the time on it the closer you get to departure time.
FWIW this is what AA wrote to me on Twitter:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.