Last minute upgrade priority question

Old Mar 27, 19, 6:37 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 155
Last minute upgrade priority question

for 2019 -

lets say youre EXP and have your complimentary upgrade in the system.... but it hasnít cleared. You get to the airport and have an hour before boarding and notice youíre not #1 on the queue but somewhere less than that.

If you call the desk and have your upgrade changed from the complimentary to either a SWU or Awards/CO-Pay.... does that trump a complimentary upgrade at the airport. I swear this worked for me one time... but then I called the desk and they said that wonít effect anything either.... ???
usafltg is offline  
Old Mar 27, 19, 7:20 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: San Francisco
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 316
Yes, switching to SWU or a mileage award will move your priority above EXPs requesting a complimentary upgrade. But I am fairly sure you cannot request either within one hour of departure. At least that's what I was told when trying to request a mileage upgrade at T-2.
potus18 is offline  
Old Mar 27, 19, 9:06 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: NY
Programs: Diamond Medallion, AA EXP, Hertz Pres, Marriott Ambassador
Posts: 114
Within the 24hr mark youíre unable to use SWU/miles+$ upgrade instruments.
krakendown is offline  
Old Mar 27, 19, 9:32 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Empire State
Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum; Marriott Platinum
Posts: 457
Originally Posted by krakendown View Post
Within the 24hr mark youíre unable to use SWU/miles+$ upgrade instruments.
Not true. Iíve done this on many occasions, even within an hour of departure (though with the stress of waiting for the booking to re-ticket).
JDiver and JohnDCA like this.
AAEmpireState is offline  
Old Mar 27, 19, 9:42 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: NY
Programs: Diamond Medallion, AA EXP, Hertz Pres, Marriott Ambassador
Posts: 114
Originally Posted by AAEmpireState View Post


Not true. Iíve done this on many occasions, even within an hour of departure (though with the stress of waiting for the booking to re-ticket).
I should have added. YMMV. Iíll have to try this tonight. Will update.
AAEmpireState likes this.
krakendown is offline  
Old Mar 27, 19, 9:48 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: NY
Programs: Diamond Medallion, AA EXP, Hertz Pres, Marriott Ambassador
Posts: 114
Originally Posted by krakendown View Post


I should have added. YMMV. Iíll have to try this tonight. Will update.
Well I can confirm you can get waitlisted for SWU <24hr.
krakendown is offline  
Old Mar 28, 19, 12:08 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Live: DCA; Work: Everywhere; Play: LAS/AUA/MIA/MLE
Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium/LTP (+UA Silver), National Exec Elite, mlife Noir
Posts: 4,728
Originally Posted by krakendown View Post


Well I can confirm you can get waitlisted for SWU <24hr.
and I've bought a same day ticket and applied mileage upgrade within a few hours no problem (same with BXP1)
platbrownguy is offline  
Old Mar 28, 19, 4:44 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: PHL
Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Posts: 812
I was #1 on an ex LAX flight in December 4 hours out. By the time I got to the AC I had been lept over. The agent told me someone behind me had just pulled out a SWU. She asked me if I wanted to do use an SWU to get back to #1 . It's obviously possible.
jcatman likes this.
Uncle Nonny is offline  
Old Mar 28, 19, 7:51 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 3,549
Originally Posted by krakendown View Post
Within the 24hr mark you’re unable to use SWU/miles+$ upgrade instruments.
You're thinking of a different airline. Delta and United have cutoff rules like this. AA does not have any pre-defined limit on when you can apply an upgrade instrument, although it becomes harder to convince people to spend the time on it the closer you get to departure time.
jordyn is offline  
Old Mar 28, 19, 8:23 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: San Francisco
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 316
Originally Posted by jordyn View Post
You're thinking of a different airline. Delta and United have cutoff rules like this. AA does not have any pre-defined limit on when you can apply an upgrade instrument, although it becomes harder to convince people to spend the time on it the closer you get to departure time.
FWIW this is what AA wrote to me on Twitter:

potus18 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: