Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it getting harder to upgrade??

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: Free Agent
From an industry-wide perspective, there should be exactly as many premium seats on any aircraft as there are people willing to pay for them. Now getting people to pay for them is the trick...and AA hasn't been helping themselves in that department lately.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 5:55 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PBIGuy
From an industry-wide perspective, there should be exactly as many premium seats on any aircraft as there are people willing to pay for them. Now getting people to pay for them is the trick...and AA hasn't been helping themselves in that department lately.
How so? I can find lots of reasonable F and J fares in many markets these days.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by PBIGuy
And, given they don't reconfigure planes on the fly, or have many different configurations of the same plane, a la a period I recall of MD-80's intentionally having something like 4 or 5 different first class sizes, there will sometimes be flights where they don't have a first/business class seat to sell to the last-minute passenger willing to pay full fare. I'm starting to see that on some of my international routes where it's J0 (and no open seats on the map) even a few weeks out from flight date.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 10:06 am

Programs: UA1K, 1MM,AA Exec. Platinum, Global Entry, Nexus
I believe the future with any airline especially legacy airlines is that your money or miles will talk. Waiting for any kind of an upgrade will be like "waiting for Godot" I just came back from Hawaii and almost fainted when my upgrade processed. Especially as I was traveling with my girlfriend who has NO status. Those days are fewer and fewer.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 11:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by koi
Is it getting harder to upgrade??
Ummm... yes.

Regards
Old Mar 29, 2019, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
sure is! I'm at a 30% upgrade rate this year, $18K rolling EQD.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by MarkOK
But I am at 1 upgrade out of 22 eligible legs in the last 8 months (which was a meal-less, nut-less, non PDB <500 mile route).

So I am sure there are a few high EQDs that are still getting decent upgrade rates, as well as perhaps some people on certain routes that have good F seats/elite ratios, but most ExPs (and especially below) are scrapping for crumbs and mostly coming up empty. I feel like the upgrade program is worthless for me -- would trade it wholly for just 1 or 2 confirmed at booking upgrade awards.
1 for 22 is horrible for Plat Pro (as indicated in your tag). I'm running around 80% last year and current year, down from 85% two years ago and 90%+ several years ago. I am EXP with 20k EQDs annually. If there is a near-sold-out route where I know I want to sit up front (like a transcon), I use alternate methods (mainly BXP1s) to confirm. If I include those alternate methods in my calculation, I am still above 85%, but without those, I have a lot of the "whatever" short-hop flights with a 30-person upgrade list, and my average is around 80%. Additionally, AA has lately been blocking the middle seat when I am in coach, which, combined with a drink and snack, is an acceptable substitution.

I frequently travel on a peak day, 900-mile leg with a work colleague who is Plat Pro, and he is running around 60% on that routing (Thursday and Sunday evenings, CLT-MCI-CLT). I would switch airlines if I was flying 75k miles per year and batting less than 10% upgrades. In fact, I would switch below 50%. That's just a horrible rate.

BTW, some hubs are much easier than others for domestic upgrades. For me PHX, MIA, and PHL are easier than CLT. DFW is the hardest.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fastflyer
Additionally, AA has lately been blocking the middle seat when I am in coach,
Honestly I can't remember the last flight where it wasn't completely zeroed out across the board.
chitink, AA100k and Uzzar like this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 1:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I assume the bulk of elites are traveling business and travel at business traveler hours hence why usually only the high spenders are getting the upgrades. In theory that is the way the system is suppose to work, just a few F seats available to those spending enough money in Y to enhance their experience. It's the sign of the times with the US3. Now if you do a lot of late afternoon, evening Saturday traveling like I do the chances greatly increase.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I assume the bulk of elites are traveling business and travel at business traveler hours hence why usually only the high spenders are getting the upgrades. In theory that is the way the system is suppose to work, just a few F seats available to those spending enough money in Y to enhance their experience. It's the sign of the times with the US3. Now if you do a lot of late afternoon, evening Saturday traveling like I do the chances greatly increase.
Spot on and I agree completely. The old days are long gone and the high spenders are enjoying the upgrades they (rightfully) deserve. Notice I wasn't complaining--it is what it is. I'm fine in an exit row seat or bulkhead Oasis or otherwise.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 9:09 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by fastflyer
1 for 22 is horrible for Plat Pro (as indicated in your tag). I'm running around 80% last year and current year, down from 85% two years ago and 90%+ several years ago. I am EXP with 20k EQDs annually. If there is a near-sold-out route where I know I want to sit up front (like a transcon), I use alternate methods (mainly BXP1s) to confirm. If I include those alternate methods in my calculation, I am still above 85%, but without those, I have a lot of the "whatever" short-hop flights with a 30-person upgrade list, and my average is around 80%. Additionally, AA has lately been blocking the middle seat when I am in coach, which, combined with a drink and snack, is an acceptable substitution.

I frequently travel on a peak day, 900-mile leg with a work colleague who is Plat Pro, and he is running around 60% on that routing (Thursday and Sunday evenings, CLT-MCI-CLT). I would switch airlines if I was flying 75k miles per year and batting less than 10% upgrades. In fact, I would switch below 50%. That's just a horrible rate.

BTW, some hubs are much easier than others for domestic upgrades. For me PHX, MIA, and PHL are easier than CLT. DFW is the hardest.
Thanks for the sympathy. Unfortunately, all of my routes go through DFW as my home airport only flies there and I am spoiled by the convenience of that airport to negate quickly any benefit of driving to other airports. Also, I am often going to larger cities that seem elite heavy (--- failed upgrades were DFW -- DCA/IAD, 2xBOS, LGA, MSP, ORD, PHX, 2xMIA, ATL and the returns -- almost all on A320/21s or 738s. MSP was the closest call but not cigar, and I thought MIA had no chance one way on a 772 because of a full seat map, but then something like 14 upgrades cleared at T-30 minutes from what I am guessing were misconnects on a stormy day in DFW, but I was at number 20sh so again no luck). My one upgrade was DFW-MSY on a mad-dog; the return for whatever reason had at least 40 on the upgrade list and I was 20sh with a full seat map. A couple of years ago, I got an upgrade on a DFW-MSY without even gold status when they had to roll up the cabin due to overbooked Y. Frustratingly, I think I would have cleared a DFW-RNO and return Saturday flights last summer if I wasn't on an award ticket.
My DFW commuter flight is on a ERJ140 -- so no upgrades there of course. I am jealous of the small airports (i.e. JLN) that have at least one flight a day with a two cabin regional.

I think I did benefit last week from a seat blockage when I was in seat F, and a CK was seated in seat D (bulkhead row in economy) -- seat E was empty and the plane was pretty much full.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by MarkOK
Thanks for the sympathy. Unfortunately, all of my routes go through DFW as my home airport only flies there and I am spoiled by the convenience of that airport to negate quickly any benefit of driving to other airports. Also, I am often going to larger cities that seem elite heavy (--- failed upgrades were DFW -- DCA/IAD, 2xBOS, LGA, MSP, ORD, PHX, 2xMIA, ATL and the returns -- almost all on A320/21s or 738s.
Those are all difficult upgrades even for EXP, except (and as you noted), DFW-MSP.

DFW-DCA, DFW-BOS, DFW-LGA are all meal flights, so you have more people who will simply pay for F. And DFW-ORD, DFW-PHX, and DFW-MIA are Hub-to-Hub flights (so up to twice the potential audience of high-status elites as usual). I do a lot of travelling from an airport in the same region (MCI), and if I route through DFW my upgrade rate drops significantly.

If it's important to you, opt for the "long, skinny" routes like OKC-PHL or TUL-LAX for better odds, then do your connection as a short hop (likely in coach) from PHL or LAX. You may see a big improvement in upgrade percentages. Although AA doesn't always offer the following routings, when they have, I've batted 100% with MCI-PHL, MCI-LGA, MCI-MIA, and MCI-LAX.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
There were 54 on the upgrade list from PHL to SAN a few weeks ago and only the top 2 cleared. That’s the longest list I’ve ever seen on a narrowbody jet. It’s rough.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 5:31 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
What changed was that priority on the upgrade list changed to those who have spent the most over the previous 12 months, whereas it used to be driven by when you requested the upgrade.

I doubt that the probability of someone receiving an upgrade has changed much, but the probability of a specific person (you, for example, or me, or anyone else reading this) has definitely changed (and gone up for some and down for others).
I want to challenge your assumption. OP hasn't flown in a few years. US and AA merged within that time. The sheer number of elites have increased significantly yet certain routes didn't increase proportionately in frequency. Hence, the probability of someone receiving an upgrade on any particular route has changed (decreased) significantly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.