Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Why do AA Flight Crews Travel with so much Luggage?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why do AA Flight Crews Travel with so much Luggage?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: mileage plus
It's the same with Virgin Atlaantic crews. they go away for a couple days and have 2 large cases. i mean any need.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
3 out of the 4 flight attendants just boarded the plane here at ATL with four bags each. FWIW their bags said “LAX crew”.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Certainly Australia-based crew routinely bring large suitcases (that they check) for shopping on trips to the US, at least when the exchange rate is favorable. But that’s a bit of a different kettle of fish: because their airlines don’t operate other flights to/from North America and the flight is (much much) too long to allow them to be immediately reassigned to another flight without time to claim checked bags, they have the luxury of being less flexible than people crewing flights within North America.

For crews within North America, the requirement to be dressed professionally for a trip of unknown duration to climates ranging from MSP to MIA and with potential changes on zero notice gives me considerable sympathy. I’d much rather have an FA taking three passengers’ space in the overhead bin who is ready to crew my flight to wherever at a moment’s notice than have a flight delayed or cancelled because there’s no available crew with the right clothing/passport/etc.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Honest question.....I’m watching the same crew I had to Maui board with 3-4 different bags each (not to mention obvious flowers and items they’ve picked up while here)....some garment bags like they’re going to a ball.

I have just a backpack for the same destination.

What on earth do you need for a 2 day trip?
they have loads of Barclays credit card application so you can take a few for your friends and family, duh!
Old Mar 25, 2019, 4:00 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by ashill
For crews within North America, the requirement to be dressed professionally for a trip of unknown duration to climates ranging from MSP to MIA and with potential changes on zero notice gives me considerable sympathy. I’d much rather have an FA taking three passengers’ space in the overhead bin who is ready to crew my flight to wherever at a moment’s notice than have a flight delayed or cancelled because there’s no available crew with the right clothing/passport/etc.
Not only that, they could end up going to both MSP and MIA in one trip. Most trips are four days long. You need change of clothes, both on-duty and off-duty. Winter coats are bulky-- I certainly wouldn't want to land in MIA with no space in my suitcase to stash my wool coat!
Old Mar 25, 2019, 5:51 pm

Anybody here that thinks FAs should be held to the same baggage standard as pax: I hope you realize how ludicrous you sound.

My partner is a commuter (based in one city, but lives with me in another city a significant distance away). He often spends 6-7 days away from home at a time. Checking a bag is his nemesis, but sometimes a necessity when he commutes due to the challenges of travelling standby/boarding last when there is no overhead space. With how often/how many flights FAs travel on (far more than even the MOST top tier members on here), the chances of baggage mishandling are astronomical, and FAs simply cannot take that risk.

If you are going to begrudge an FA/Pilot for carrying a few extra things just to be prepared to maintain a modicum of comfort while literally traveling nonstop for work, then I hope every one of your flights the next week has the pilot announce for FAs to stay seated and perform no service due to an anticipated bumpy ride 🤣

FYI, he travels with a rollerboard, an extra bag, and a lunchbox. Other crew members may travel with an additional purse, garment bag, etc. These extra personal items are contractually guaranteed. No FA travels with four roller bags (which is what some people are making it seem). But four items is definitely possible and allowed (as it should be!).
Old Mar 25, 2019, 5:53 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by gateH15

they have loads of Barclays credit card application so you can take a few for your friends and family, duh!
You should have seen my face when my flight from Hawaii to DFW departed with no power, IFE or WiFi but there were a stack of those stupid applications in the J galley 🙄👎
enviroian likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by standbyalldtime
Anybody here that thinks FAs should be held to the same baggage standard as pax: I hope you realize how ludicrous you sound.

My partner is a commuter (based in one city, but lives with me in another city a significant distance away). He often spends 6-7 days away from home at a time. Checking a bag is his nemesis, but sometimes a necessity when he commutes due to the challenges of travelling standby/boarding last when there is no overhead space. With how often/how many flights FAs travel on (far more than even the MOST top tier members on here), the chances of baggage mishandling are astronomical, and FAs simply cannot take that risk.

If you are going to begrudge an FA/Pilot for carrying a few extra things just to be prepared to maintain a modicum of comfort while literally traveling nonstop for work, then I hope every one of your flights the next week has the pilot announce for FAs to stay seated and perform no service due to an anticipated bumpy ride 🤣

FYI, he travels with a rollerboard, an extra bag, and a lunchbox. Other crew members may travel with an additional purse, garment bag, etc. These extra personal items are contractually guaranteed. No FA travels with four roller bags (which is what some people are making it seem). But four items is definitely possible and allowed (as it should be!).
OK, but it's your partner's choice to live in one place and be based in a city far far away for his/her job.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 9:30 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I know this thread is about crew, but...I had a gate agent in ORD hassle me about carrying my coat in addition to my Away Bigger Carry-on roll-aboard and a small duffle (Hudson Sutler commuter), she said it was another personal item, then I put my coat on, and she said I cold go ahead. I was flying as an EXP in paid F. I think some gate agents need to be a bit more liberal about the policy for some passengers.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 9:32 pm

Commuting is a necessity when working for a company and industry which can reassign you bases at any time based on operational need, especially for cities like NYC where the cost of living for an entry level FA is impossible to sustain.

Besides, his belongings (roller, separate small Carry on, and lunch bag) is far from ridiculous, especially for somebody that actually has the plane as his office.

Ultimately, for flight attendants it's both reasonable and contractually allowed to carry a roller bag, small bag, plus a lunch bag for food, garment bag for uniform, small purses, and a handful of other small items as needed for the workday. In addition, working (but not commuting) flight attendants are actually prohibited from checking bags since it's quite possible for them to get rerouted as needed.

My point stands. If you have so little understanding, respect, and sympathy for flight crew that you feel the need to hold a grudge against this allowance, then you must lack basic human empathy. Gate checking a bag for a passenger is a far lesser inconvenience than it is for a crew member, where a lost or simply delayed bag may well result in a delayed or cancelled flight for passengers and lost pay for a crew member.
writerguyfl and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 9:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
OK, but it's your partner's choice to live in one place and be based in a city far far away for his/her job.
how about gate check and not fill all the forward bins?
Spiff likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 9:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Or just use the bins in the rear of the aircraft, especially if the FA is working in coach. Similarly if the FA is deadheading or flying nonrev to commute for work and is not confirmed into a FC seat.
Spiff and txrus like this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
it's your partner's choice to live in one place and be based in a city far far away for his/her job.
This is a pretty standard arrangement for FAs. It's baked into the value proposition for the job. If this wasn't an allowable arrangement, then the airlines would probably lose a nontrivial number of flight crew.

To be frank, this whole thread makes it pretty clear who those people are who sit down next to me, glare at the FA, and bark "Doublevodkatonicandhangmycoat" without so much as a salutation. I doubt the FAs enjoy dragging luggage around much more than you enjoy looking at their luggage (and apparently becoming deeply offended by it), so they must have a good reason for bringing what is needed to do their jobs.
ashill, TWA884, catcher1 and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 6:35 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
No, I do not think this is about flight crews. I cannot speak on behalf of other posters, but if flight crews thought my post was commenting against flight crews then it was not.

I believe employers (in this case airlines) should give proper storage space for their employees during their work. However, rather than provide closet/locker space for crew belongings airlines seems to want to place another seats to sell more tickets. When working away from home base then employer should provide meals but for domestic flights AA no longer provide meals for FAs during flights, so many FAs bring their own meals.

I think it is more of employer/employee situation. I don't think hotels and restaurants will allow their workers to place their personal items in view of customers at public space for customers. I think employers should provide proper working situation (storage space for flight crew's personal belongings) but it is not the case.
Gerbs, MSPeconomist and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: Free Agent
The real issue is that the airline should provide a closet for them to store their luggage in...but I digress.
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.