Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage MileSAAver: Through Award Fare Restriction Dec 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AAdvantage MileSAAver: Through Award Fare Restriction Dec 2018

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2019, 8:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by talkandfly
First, I love it here. Don't post too often but learn a lot. Thanks to everyone.

So, recently, booked IAH to LHR to DEL (on BA) paying 70k miles as one award then DEL to CMB (on UL) as a second paying 30K miles (BTW, cancelled that trip after the unfortunate recent events). This was two distinct PNRs and two distinct awards for one one-way trip. Are you saying I could have called and combined the two to reduce the cost (miles)?
Possibly, depending on whether there is a fare valid for that routing. You would have had a $150 change fee, but potentially no mileage cost

You would also have been protected against a misconnect in London should there have been a delay from IAH or DEL
Old Apr 24, 2019, 6:38 am

Programs: Everyone!
Now that you are booked, yeah, possible change fee. I did this when I had them on hold, and no change fee, but I think I got lucky with my agent.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 11:58 am

Programs: AA EXP; (HP-FF>US DM - RIP);Marriott Lifetime Plat and a bunch of others
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Possibly, depending on whether there is a fare valid for that routing. You would have had a $150 change fee, but potentially no mileage cost

You would also have been protected against a misconnect in London should there have been a delay from IAH or DEL
Thanks. FWIW, the flights from IAH to LHR then to DEL were U (Business) and the fight from DEL to CMB was also U (Business). I was able to cancel and get all refunded. Next time, I'll put on hold and call an agent to see if itinerary will combine to one PNR and one mileage redemption.
Old May 10, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
Today I searched AA flights with intent to find avail for using avios

AAA-MIA-Caribbean SAAVER award is only available with long layover

good sAAver flights ARE available for the two segments individually

BA.com shows the good flights as available as one ticket

but it would not ticket it online as one ticket (I have yet to call in because the anticipated phone hold time)

i was was about to just try to book the two AA flights on 2 BA award ticketd(one hour layover) but I realized if I check baggage or misconduct there could be problems

will AA agents at the first airport check bags through to the Caribbean if two separate BA tickets (AA metal)?

if I miss the flight from MIA to Caribbean will the second flight be salvageable (get out on next flight for free etc)?

Last edited by aubreyfromwheaton; May 10, 2019 at 10:04 am
Old May 11, 2019, 7:49 am

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
So I called into BA, and they said that yes there is availability on each segment, but the computer will not let them ticket it as one ticket because they are married segments.

Without prompting she said she would not book two separate awards because

"That's a mAAsive risk, your luggage won't make it, and they may not even let you connect even without luggage"

I believe the first part, but not the second part.

If anyone has any info on that please share.

Will AA let you check luggage through on consecutive separate BA award tickets?

Will AA / BA protect you on the second flight if delayed?

Will AA auto cancel your 2nd flight because two awards?

Thanks
Old May 11, 2019, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton
Will AA let you check luggage through on consecutive separate BA award tickets?
Will AA / BA protect you on the second flight if delayed?
Will AA auto cancel your 2nd flight because two awards?
Maybe
Yes
No

As for the checked luggage part, AA generally adheres to the no checked bags on separate tickets policy, but some agents think its a stupid rule and will check bags all the way. YMMV. Check out the wiki in this thread. It also suggests that policy is to permit check bags to your final destination if connecting to a paid AA flight. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...2016-a-22.html

As for protection, the wiki suggests that AA will protect you if you are connecting to an AA flight.

Do you really need to check bags? Think about it. Mrs. SFO777 used to check bags and now travels so efficiently that we almost never check bags... regardless of destination or duration of the trip. Hotel laundry is your friend. You are going to the Caribbean. How much clothing do you need anyway.

Last edited by SFO777; May 11, 2019 at 8:43 am
Old May 13, 2019, 11:37 am

AA Won't Change Last Segment for More Convenient Flight

I have Business MileSaavers from the US to AMS and back. Each segment has its own record locator because my initial outbound ticket was in Business, while the return was Economy. I eventually found Business for the return, thankfully.

In past years, I have made numerous changes to tickets after ticketing if better flights open up.

Here’s my current situation:

A couple of weeks ago, I saw the LHR – AMS segment (originally in Economy for that portion) was now available in Business on a later flight. I called and no problem, the change was made. Everything went just like it always did. (I do not believe any portion of my other segments was still available as an award by that time).

My current return flight arrives in the afternoon to PHL from AMS and departs PHL very early the next morning, with a layover in DCA. Today, I see a better time from PHL – home in Business MileSAAver, where the trip would all be on the same day (although on a very late flight that night). There is no layover in DCA. All current return flights are on AA.

I called AA and they won’t change me to the available flight, telling me the entire journey from AMS-home has to be available to make changes. This really makes no sense, because I already HAVE 2 BUSINESS SAAVERS on the AMS-PHL flight and they may not open any more. What is their reasoning for not simply changing the flight time for the domestic leg home, if there’s plenty of availability? I see other days have this exact routing in the same award class.

Why could they do something very similar for me 2 weeks ago on the BA leg, but not for the return trip on a day when there’s plenty of availability? Will I not be able to change any times at all until perhaps the day of my flight?

This is so contrary to my previous experiences and quite confusing. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated!
Old May 13, 2019, 11:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by miles4sheli
I have Business MileSaavers from the US to AMS and back. Each segment has its own record locator because my initial outbound ticket was in Business, while the return was Economy. I eventually found Business for the return, thankfully.

In past years, I have made numerous changes to tickets after ticketing if better flights open up.

Here’s my current situation:

A couple of weeks ago, I saw the LHR – AMS segment (originally in Economy for that portion) was now available in Business on a later flight. I called and no problem, the change was made. Everything went just like it always did. (I do not believe any portion of my other segments was still available as an award by that time).

My current return flight arrives in the afternoon to PHL from AMS and departs PHL very early the next morning, with a layover in DCA. Today, I see a better time from PHL – home in Business MileSAAver, where the trip would all be on the same day (although on a very late flight that night). There is no layover in DCA. All current return flights are on AA.

I called AA and they won’t change me to the available flight, telling me the entire journey from AMS-home has to be available to make changes. This really makes no sense, because I already HAVE 2 BUSINESS SAAVERS on the AMS-PHL flight and they may not open any more. What is their reasoning for not simply changing the flight time for the domestic leg home, if there’s plenty of availability? I see other days have this exact routing in the same award class.

Why could they do something very similar for me 2 weeks ago on the BA leg, but not for the return trip on a day when there’s plenty of availability? Will I not be able to change any times at all until perhaps the day of my flight?

This is so contrary to my previous experiences and quite confusing. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated!
What they told you is insane but accurate, first came out on FlyerTalk in the other thread (which is the exact same topic as this thread) and I exposed it a bit more:
Old May 13, 2019, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
What they told you is insane but accurate, first came out on FlyerTalk in the other thread (which is the exact same topic as this thread) and I exposed it a bit more:
https://twitter.com/xJonNYC/status/1072268510561214470
Thank you, JonNYC! I hadn't traveled in a few months and so am trying to sort things out. Will be sure to check out the other Thread. Do you think there's any hope of getting on the better flight sooner than the day of?
Old May 13, 2019, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Thank you, JonNYC! I hadn't traveled in a few months and so am trying to sort things out. Will be sure to check out the other Thread. Do you think there's any hope of getting on the better flight sooner than the day of?
Your prior post talks about having or not having a "layover" at DCA. What is your final destination on the award from AMS?

Old May 15, 2019, 12:02 pm

This is indeed insane (re. posts 157-158).
Old May 15, 2019, 1:56 pm

Won't Let Me Change Economy to Available Business!

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
This is indeed insane (re. posts 157-158).
YES! And to make it even MORE insane, get this:
The journey we're on has the final stretch from DCA-home in Economy (all other segments are Business or First). When I was attempting to get the better flight times the other day, I even asked about this final leg to 2 different AAgents. I asked if Business opened up on that leg, would I be able to take it like always. "Oh, of course!" they both said, "No problem!"

HA! Well, guess what? It opened up. I called. The agent was baffled, asked her Help Desk, and came back with the answer that the ENTIRE journey had to be available to even make this change!!! (The entire journey is not available as an award. Since it is a Business MileSaaver, it's likely it won't be anytime soon since we already have 2 award tickets). Obviously, this doesn't match my prior experience. I asked to speak with a supervisor and they couldn't do anything either.

It makes NO sense! I paid for a Business/First Class ticket with AAdvantage miles. And now that one leg is available, they won't let me use what I paid for? Because the "entire journey" has to be currently bookable?!?!?! INSANE, INDEED!
lowfareair likes this.

Last edited by miles4sheli; May 15, 2019 at 2:10 pm
Old May 15, 2019, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Yeah it is insane. It goes to show you how incredibly annoying AA has become. I for one am done with them.
Old May 15, 2019, 2:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It is not available in conjunction with the other flight

when checking origin-home does the flight pair show availability on DCA-home flight?

If no - then it isn't available

That just checking DCA-home on its own is available, doesn't mean that it is available when married to the 1st flight

If checking the whole journey shows availability on the dca-home flight, then you should be able to change that flight without any concerns on availability on the origin-dca flight. it should not require the ENTIRE journey to still have availability since you already hold a seat on the 1st flight
Old May 15, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
YES! And to make it even MORE insane, get this:
The flight we're on has the final stretch from DCA-home in Economy (all other segments are Business or First). When I was attempting to get the better flight times the other day, I even asked about this final leg to 2 different AAgents. I asked if Business opened up on that leg, would I be able to take it like always. "Oh, of course!" they both said, "No problem!"

HA! Well, guess what? It opened up. I called. The agent was baffled, asked her Help Desk, and came back with the answer that the ENTIRE journey had to be available to even make this change!!! Obviously, this doesn't match my prior experience. I asked to speak with a supervisor and they couldn't do anything either.

It makes NO sense! I paid for a Business/First Class ticket with AAdvantage miles. And now that one leg is available, they won't let me use what I paid for? Because the "entire journey" has to be currently bookable?!?!?! INSANE, INDEED!
your experience is beyond belief. So sick of them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.