Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

USA to NRT in J. Which Plane has better Seats

USA to NRT in J. Which Plane has better Seats

Old Mar 18, 19, 9:55 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: PHL
Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Posts: 1,691
USA to NRT in J. Which Plane has better Seats

I am flying from the USA to NRT in J on AA. I have a choice of the 787 from ORD or the 777 from DFW or LAX. Does one type of plane have.a better J product then the other? I am thinking of the seat. I presume the food is the same. I know the 787 has better humidity control.

Thank you
TonyBurr is offline  
Old Mar 19, 19, 12:00 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Dallas, Texas
Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
Posts: 1,085
DFW-NRT 777 is a 777-200. Those planes have two versions of business class seats, one being a backwards / forwards layout which is considered by most a less desirable seat, the other is a reverse herringbone super diamond seat which are considered the best of the fleet. The problem is there is no way of knowing which seat will be on those aircraft until a couple of days before the flight. If the 787 is a 787-900 then I would go with that as all seats on that aircraft are the better super diamond seats.
MorganB is offline  
Old Mar 19, 19, 12:13 am
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Posts: 29,124
Can you choose a JAL flight?
Jaimito Cartero is offline  
Old Mar 19, 19, 12:39 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Programs: AAPlt 1MM, HHDmd, MBvPLT/LTG, PCAmb
Posts: 1,283
I just flew HND - LAX on the 787. It was great. So I would do ORD-NRT or LAX-HND (another option if if ending in Tokyo)
dbuckho is offline  
Old Mar 19, 19, 5:58 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: RDU <|> MMX
Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Posts: 7,033
Originally Posted by TonyBurr View Post
I am flying from the USA to NRT in J on AA. I have a choice of the 787 from ORD or the 777 from DFW or LAX. Does one type of plane have.a better J product then the other? I am thinking of the seat. I presume the food is the same. I know the 787 has better humidity control.

Thank you
ORD-NRT is a 788 which will have the forward/backward Zodiac seats. And of course it's a 787 so newer/quieter/better cabin pressure etc.

DFW-NRT is a 772 which, as mentioned above, has two different configs, with roughly 40% of the fleet having the exact same forward/backward Zodiac seat and the other 60% with all forward facing Super Diamond seats. There's no way to know which one you'll get till the day before departure.

Where are you starting from? Personally I would just take whichever routing is the easiest/quickest. Both are fully lie flat, all aisle access, in a 1-2-1 layout.

Dreamliner 787-8 / 788 Zodiac Business Seats & Reviews (master thd)

Aircraft guide: Which 777-200ER / 772 / 777? (2019 on)
JJeffrey is offline  
Old Mar 19, 19, 10:10 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Programs: American, Delta, United, Southwest, Marriott, HIlton, Sheraton, Hyatt, Avis, Hertz, National, Sixt
Posts: 45
Like several of the other posters, I've flown all three configurations. I personally don't mind the 777-200 forward/back configuration; just don't like row 7 as it has no window (actually there is one but it is configured so that you can't see out of it without the seat being reclined. I don't like it on the 787-8 because the seats seem to rock back and forth when the person behind you moves sometimes. But, any of the three are great. Take the most convenient flight/
Superjeff is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: