Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Citi card 40,000 miles deal denied for recent card action / 24 months

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi card 40,000 miles deal denied for recent card action / 24 months

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2019, 3:34 pm
rty
Original Poster

Thumbs down Citi card 40,000 miles deal denied for recent card action / 24 months

In November received a deal from Citi MasterCard that if send $2000 in 3months I would get 40000 miles and a $ 200 credit on my statement. I sent the money and didn't get my miles or credit. After I sent the money they sent me a letter I didn't qualify for the program because I had a card in the last 24 months. It would have been great had they told me before they sent me the card and had me spend the money. Any one else have this experience?
Old Mar 8, 2019, 3:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Did you read the terms & conditions of the offer or the card before you checked the box saying that you had? I suspect that if you had done that, you would not be saying that you were not told.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 4:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Looking at https://creditcards.aa.com/

it says quite clearly for the current offers for AA cards that

Offer availability

Statement credit and American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles are not available if you have had an AAdvantage MileUp℠ card opened or closed in the past 24 months.

( the wording varies slightly between the cards , but the website is clear for all of them)

not buried in small print, but quite clearly on the webpage
jinglish likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:55 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by rty
In November received a deal from Citi MasterCard that if send $2000 in 3months I would get 40000 miles and a $ 200 credit on my statement. I sent the money and didn't get my miles or credit.
Where did you send it to?
thunderlounge likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
I am shocked they actually did what the Terms & Conditions say they would do.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by rty
In November received a deal from Citi MasterCard that if send $2000 in 3months I would get 40000 miles and a $ 200 credit on my statement. I sent the money and didn't get my miles or credit. After I sent the money they sent me a letter I didn't qualify for the program because I had a card in the last 24 months. It would have been great had they told me before they sent me the card and had me spend the money. Any one else have this experience?
Yea, the Citi 24 month rule is well documented, you'll find lots of datapoints and other info over in the Citi forum:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi...u-rewards-739/
Old Mar 9, 2019, 5:32 am

Programs: CK or bust
In this day and age of IT, I feel for the OP in that Citi has the ability to cross-reference a recipient of said offers (mailed or emailed) with activity in the past 24 months so ultimately it's up to the consumer but if Citi WANTED to there are reasonable efforts that could have been made to avoid cross-overs.
T. Sanderson likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is the thread you want:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi...-matching.html
Old Mar 9, 2019, 11:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by enpremiere
In this day and age of IT, I feel for the OP in that Citi has the ability to cross-reference a recipient of said offers (mailed or emailed) with activity in the past 24 months so ultimately it's up to the consumer but if Citi WANTED to there are reasonable efforts that could have been made to avoid cross-overs.
Citi clearly does not want. Nor should it.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 3:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

What is there to "feel for" - the OP applied for a card in order to try and get a large number of AA miles which the OP was inelgible for and the card company quite correctly refused to give the points

Why would Citi state clearly that no bonus would be payable if it wanted to give points away to people trying to abuse a system aimed at getting new customers
Often1 likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Clearly they mail it whether you are eligible for the bonus or not, because they still want you to use the card. If someone is applying because they believe they are getting a bonus, it is up to the to read the terms of the offer.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OP - this is the wrong forum. It has nothing to do with AA -- this is between you and Citi. Most people here are happy you are not getting your 40k miles.

Go read the Citi forum to find out how to get enough miles that you will not miss those 40k, if you are interested. Chalk your mistake up as a learning experience, and move on.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by jridge
Where did you send it to?
If you send me $2,000 I can arrange for 40,000 miles to appear in your account. I'll even send you $200 back.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:27 am

Programs: Lifetime Plat/4mm miles, Starwood, HiltonHonors
This is the copyeditor in me speaking but the OP's failure to proofread the original post (specifically, the missing "p" in "send" and "sent") underscores the related failure to fully read the TOC. That said, Citi certainly has the capability to recognize who held one of its cards in the last 24 months prior to sending a mailing; that they choose not to do so, with the expected outcome we see here, simply reminds us why we're living in their world and not the other way around. Perhaps they're going for this year's Wells Fargo Award.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:33 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
I do like that the new Amex Bonvoy 100K offer runs a check during application against your MR number. Tells you if you are bonus eligible before credit check and application processing.
enpremiere likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.