Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Oasis refit: ~14 738 AA planes temp. grounded for bin irregularities

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oasis refit: ~14 738 AA planes temp. grounded for bin irregularities

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2019, 12:02 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by econometrics
After flying an Oasis'd 738 frame (which was modded at KPAE), I can see how this is a serious issue. The bins fold open a lot more, and more downward as well. If something really did come lose and break apart, that would be dangerous with more bags per bin to fall out.
The Space bins if anything should use strengthened attachment points because of their 50% increased capacity and increased weight. Not installing and properly torqueing all bolts, using zip ties instead of bolts or missing bolts entirely is completely shoddy and unprofessional. IMO the company should be penalized and fined by the FAA, at least.

Originally Posted by bchandler02
We all wish, but that's unrealistic. The problem (in relation to the grounding of the planes) is the installation, not the product itself. It could have just as easily happened if they were installing larger seats and AVOD. Crappy work is crappy work, it has nothing to do with the product.
And the abhorrent product isn’t the bins, but rather the seats, pitch and tot lavs.
C17PSGR, enviroian, msv777 and 4 others like this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by JDiver
And the abhorrent product isn’t the bins, but rather the seats, pitch and tot lavs.
+1

Complain about the seating configuration on the Oasis 737s all you want. I haven't been on one, but that sounds totally appropriate to me. But the new overhead bins, which AS has had for several years now, are marvellous. On AS aircraft with those new bins, overhead bin space and forced gate checking of bags are no longer a concern. Heck, the cynical side of me is surprised the bean counters let it fly, as it lessens the pain of boarding last and therefore makes basic economy a less unattractive product! (But the operational improvements of not having to gate check bags win out with the bean counters, I would guess.) When one complains about the unequivocally good things in a renovation because there are other things that are bad, one just looks silly.
JDiver and cedric like this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Gotta laugh at AA's process with this. They set the Oasis program to save money in the long run (more customers and revenue) and now it's costing them extra money with the inspections, grounding, re-accommodating customers, etc.

I really wish airlines would understand once and for all, that if they try to cut costs, it will cost them in other ways (ie, cutting meals in F means less paid F customers).
Austin787 likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Gotta laugh at AA's process with this. They set the Oasis program to save money in the long run (more customers and revenue) and now it's costing them extra money with the inspections, grounding, re-accommodating customers, etc.

I really wish airlines would understand once and for all, that if they try to cut costs, it will cost them in other ways (ie, cutting meals in F means less paid F customers).
to be fair the issue here is not with the new ...... seats. Issue here is with overhead bins. And it’s an FAA approved contractor. So it could have happened to any other airline.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by gateH15

to be fair the issue here is not with the new ...... seats. Issue here is with overhead bins. And it’s an FAA approved contractor. So it could have happened to any other airline.
Responsibility for vendor selection is still squarely on AA management. “FAA approved” absolves nothing.
newbiztraveler likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
The Space bins if anything should use strengthened attachment points because of their 50% increased capacity and increased weight. Not installing and properly torqueing all bolts, using zip ties instead of bolts or missing bolts entirely is completely shoddy and unprofessional. IMO the company should be penalized and fined by the FAA, at least.

Honestly, if this is something that they did on multiple aircraft, I'd think pulling their cert is potentially in order as a time out, retrain on importance of doing the job to the install specs, etc. Unless it all traces back to one individual, even then it's on the contractor to maintain control of their employees, and I'd suspect having them under a lot of scrutiny for a good while might be in order.

I'd agree the bins are great, but I find it interesting that some bags don't fit on their side, and this was on a flight that they were hassling folks about bags at the door.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 11:12 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
My MIA/LGA flight today got subbed with a 738 (instead of the max). I saw an MD80 at LGA, presumably going to DFW. Must have a number of 7M8s off line and 738s substituting.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
I'm much more concerned about the incorrectly routed cabling mentioned. If the wrong wire gets pinched, you end up with fire.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 9:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
I can see the zip ties being used to get the bin into the initial location, then come back and install the bolts, i.e. someone forgot to do so. But I also would expect someone to do a check of all the bolts afterwards.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:39 am

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond
First flight from MCI to DFW this morning cancelled due to this issue (at least that is what the GA said) and my 11:56 AM is delayed until 12:40 as AA has already subbed our A319 for an Oasis 738. Not sure if the delay is related or AA is just scrambling to find aircraft. On the bright side, my upgrade cleared after the change to the 738 so I can't complain too much.
econometrics likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: AA EXP
If anyone else is interested it looks like these 13 tails are out of service all of which spent a few weeks at PAE:

N801NN - Ferried to TUL 3/8
N803NN - Ferried to BFM 3/7
N808NN - Ferried to TUL 3/8
N815NN - Ferried to SAT 3/7
N817NN - Ferried to BFM 3/7
N823NN - Ferried to PAE 3/3
N829NN- Ferried to MLB 3/8
N831NN- Ferried to TUL 3/8
N833NN- Ferried to SAT 3/7
N836NN- Ferried to TPA 3/7
N838NN- Ferried to GSO 3/7
N843NN- Ferried to TUL 3/8
N845NN- Ferried to PAE 3/7

Along with N839NN and N852NN that have been at PAE for a few weeks already.
JDiver, enviroian, ashill and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP
It looks like the first one (N829NN) has been fixed and is going back into service tonight after 3 weeks.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/AAL9652

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.