Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Does an AA Credit Card make sense for me?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2019, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Hi All,

Need your expertise, as I am wondering if getting an airline credit card makes sense for me given my current situation:
-I have a new job that is requiring me to travel/fly more. I will probably average 1-2 round trips a month.
-I already have a CSR for my main points card and I mostly use those points (via transfer) to Hyatt Rewards
-My company pays for all travel via a company card/portal, and the only thing I ever need to use my personal card for is if I want to upgrade my seat or purchase certain perks/booze during a flight.
-I try to exclusively fly American Airlines so I was wondering if the Aviator Red card or the Platinum Select would be worth it. Given the $450 annual fee (on top of the $450 annual fee of the CSR), I can't justify the executive platinum, and nor do I think it would be necessarily worth it. T
-The aviator red is offering 60k miles for a very little commitment upfront. The platinum select however has the annual fee waived first year for 50k miles and pretty much offers the same perks. Also, from what I'm reading here, many think Barclays may be getting ousted as an AA partner?

Would any of the cards make sense for me given that I don't book these flights on a personal card? My thought is that these cards could at least help toward travel and all points earned would be going to a vacation Award travel.

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 1, 2019, 7:00 pm

If you will be flying more I would suggest looking into a status challenge for Gold or Platinum status instead, you will get earlier boarding, checked baggage, bonus mileage for flights, free same day standby, waived close in award charges and access to MCE seating for free and you would be eligible for upgrades (which are admittedly rare as a gold or platinum).

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-2017-a-3.html
Bookcase14 likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jliehr
If you will be flying more I would suggest looking into a status challenge for Gold or Platinum status instead, you will get earlier boarding, checked baggage, bonus mileage for flights, free same day standby, waived close in award charges and access to MCE seating for free and you would be eligible for upgrades (which are admittedly rare as a gold or platinum).

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-2017-a-3.html
Thank you. Had no idea what a status challenge was until you mentioned it and I did some research. This could be a potential alternative and I appreciate the advice!
jliehr and JDiver like this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 7:37 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
The Citi Executive (not Executive Platinum) card includes a full Admirals Club membership, and unless paid for with miles is by far the cheapest paid path for Club membership. If youre not interested in Club membership, dont bother with it.

This page https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...edit-cards.jsp has links to all the cards and benefits. (Barclaycard Aviator Red has some changes coming soon.)

You might look at the benefits including free domestic bag, priority boarding, 25% savings on eligible inflight purchases, etc. Citi Platinum Select allows earning 2x miles at restaurants and gasoline stations.
enpremiere likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 8:19 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
There is no downside to taking out one which will waive the annual fee for the first year, meet the spend requirement , bank the points, and see if the benefit is worth it to you. If you get a waived annual fee offer on both, get both. If you pay it off each month, it wont hurt your credit score.

When the fee fee comes up in a year, if the benefits arent worth it, then cancel. It will depend how much leisure travel you do as the waived bag fee for you and companions on the same reservation will be the most valuable aspect.

i personally would still be putting my spend on the CSR unless award availability improves.

Old Mar 2, 2019, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
The Citi Executive (not Executive Platinum) card includes a full Admirals Club membership, and unless paid for with miles is by far the cheapest paid path for Club membership. If youre not interested in Club membership, dont bother with it.

This page https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...edit-cards.jsp has links to all the cards and benefits. (Barclaycard Aviator Red has some changes coming soon.)

You might look at the benefits including free domestic bag, priority boarding, 25% savings on eligible inflight purchases, etc. Citi Platinum Select allows earning 2x miles at restaurants and gasoline stations.
Thank you for the reply. I've been researching the cards for a while now so I am pretty comfortable with what they offer, but I guess I'll have to determine how much club access or other perks via credit card membership are worth it. Right now my CSR offers 3x points on restaurants which I contribute to Hyatt at a 1:1, and I have a better card for gas, therefore most spending would probably not be done on the airline card.

The CSR also provides Priority Lounge/Club access, but quite frankly I see most lounges at airports becoming increasingly crowded with wait times close to an hour. Or, the lounge is so busy that it doesn't feel "elite" or relaxing at all. Not sure if the Admiral Clubs are any different.

I suppose it all comes down to whether or not the bonus miles (50-60k), preferred boarding (group 5) and checked bag benefit for personal travel are worth the roughly $100/year.

Seems like I'm almost coming to my own conclusion. ​​Shame my company doesn't let me book travel on a personal card for double dipping....
Old Mar 2, 2019, 8:30 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Bookcase14
Thank you for the reply. I've been researching the cards for a while now so I am pretty comfortable with what they offer, but I guess I'll have to determine how much club access or other perks via credit card membership are worth it. Right now my CSR offers 3x points on restaurants which I contribute to Hyatt at a 1:1, and I have a better card for gas, therefore most spending would probably not be done on the airline card.

The CSR also provides Priority Lounge/Club access, but quite frankly I see most lounges at airports becoming increasingly crowded with wait times close to an hour. Or, the lounge is so busy that it doesn't feel "elite" or relaxing at all. Not sure if the Admiral Clubs are any different.

I suppose it all comes down to whether or not the bonus miles (50-60k), preferred boarding (group 5) and checked bag benefit for personal travel are worth the roughly $100/year.

Seems like I'm almost coming to my own conclusion. ​​Shame my company doesn't let me book travel on a personal card for double dipping....
Another issue that affects lounge use is the D0 emphasis AA has put on on time departures, wherein gate agents may ignore scheduled boarding times and begin boarding earlier than announced on the app or flight boards. Many have reported walking to the gate only to find out when they arrive half or more of the passengers have boarded, overhead bins may be full requiring them to counter check their carryon, etc. IMO, as a longtime Club member who will drop membership this year, lounge membership is less useful - even though AA has refurbished many Clubs and expanded some.

I agree with it all comes down to whether or not the (onetime) bonus miles (50-60k), preferred boarding (group 5) and checked bag benefit for personal travel are worth the roughly $100/year.

If youll fly and spend sufficiently to maintain status, a Challenge (possibly begun June 15 or after) might be useful.

My perspective is from someone who traveled extensively for work as a road warrior during 1986-2014 (and for pleasure still).
Bookcase14 likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
As I mentioned, but you might not have noticed since we posted simultaneously, there is no worth $100 decision to make now if the fee is waived for the first year. Zero downside to taking it out and cancelling (unless you want to take out lots of other credit cards, and then this might displace the ability to get 4 more with Chase).
Bookcase14 likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

It's certainly not roughly $100/year the first year, as the Citi card waives the first year's annual fee. And it might not even be roughly $100 for the second year, as Citi often gives a retention offer after the first year.

In addition to the other benefits noted above, holding a qualifying Citi or Barclays AA card also gives you access to a rotating list of reduced-mileage-award destinations: just 8,750 miles one way or 17,500 miles roundtrip for a SAAver Coach award if you can make use of it. Current list here:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...age-awards.jsp
Bookcase14 likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OP: What airline have you designated for the annual airline-fee reimbursement on your CSR card?
Old Mar 2, 2019, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
OP: What airline have you designated for the annual airline-fee reimbursement on your CSR card?
I didn't think you needed to pick an airline. I thought any travel spend in general is reimbursed up to $300 within the cardmember year. Usually I will just see an auto-credit for any hotel expenses, uber, etc. I'll feel stupid if I missed something on the CSR that I wasn't properly utilizing. With that said, it would probably be AA if I had to choose one.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I didn't think you needed to pick an airline. I thought any travel spend in general is reimbursed up to $300 within the cardmember year. Usually I will just see an auto-credit for any hotel expenses, uber, etc. I'll feel stupid if I missed something on the CSR that I wasn't properly utilizing. With that said, it would probably be AA if I had to choose one.
Ah, I think you're right. It's certain Amex cards that require you to designate a particular airline for the annual "incidentals" benefit.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 3:46 pm

Programs: Executive Platinum

Yes, the Admiral Clubs must be different. I have never had to wait to get into an Admirals Club, although they are sometimes crowded.
Bookcase14 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.