Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Is it okay to book a back-up one-way ticket?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2019, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

I have a flight coming up to New York and my meeting departure has been extended, so I won't be able to get to the airport in time, and it's the last flight of the day. I can currently purchase a one-way return the next morning that is one-third the cost of changing my R/T ticket. So this would be my back-up, insurance policy. There's always a chance that the meeting ends early, and I can still get out in time, but just in case, the one-way fare the next day makes sense.

Are there any problems associated with doing this that I should be aware of?
Old Feb 27, 2019, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Other than not being able to refund it if you don't use it? No not really
Old Feb 27, 2019, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by digitaldilemma
I have a flight coming up to New York and my meeting departure has been extended, so I won't be able to get to the airport in time, and it's the last flight of the day. I can currently purchase a one-way return the next morning that is one-third the cost of changing my R/T ticket. So this would be my back-up, insurance policy. There's always a chance that the meeting ends early, and I can still get out in time, but just in case, the one-way fare the next day makes sense.

Nope, AA is generally happy to take your money for both tickets.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold

As long as the flight you're missing is the last flight in the reservation, no problem (it sounds like this is probably the case but your wording is a little unclear). If you have any other fights after it, keep in mind they'll all be canceled when you miss the flight you're planning to miss.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Yes. It's the return leg.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Yes. It's the return leg.
standard advice on the flight you miss: if it's canceled or significantly delayed (in which case, call to cancel because of the delay), you can get a refund by requesting one at prefunds.aa.com -- very simple online form.
fotoflyer88 likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 1:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If the second ticket is "impossible" there is some risk that AA will catch it and cancel one or both of the segments.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 1:53 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Often1
If the second ticket is "impossible" there is some risk that AA will catch it and cancel one or both of the segments.
What is an "impossible" ticket ? OP is buying a OW for next day. AA cannot cancel it.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Yes, please, define what you mean? This is what I meant by starting this thread. If there is some risk, what, exactly, is the risk and what exactly would trigger it?
Old Feb 27, 2019, 2:04 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by HMPS
What is an "impossible" ticket ? OP is buying a OW for next day. AA cannot cancel it.
Of course AA can cancel it, intentionally or in error.

But as to your question, it’s answered in the AA Conditions of Carriage. Link. See below.
Attached Images  
enpremiere likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 2:06 pm

Yes, please, define what you mean? This is what I meant by starting this thread. If there is some risk, what, exactly, is the risk and what exactly would trigger it?
impossible means that if you have JFK-LHR at 10PM and plan to take it and you also have jfk-lhr at 8 am next morning it will be impossible to take 8am flight
JDiver likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

From my travel agent:
We are unable to double book your return flight from New York. We comply with the TSA rules, and a double booking would put an alert on your travel. (You may have an issue with security at the airport) Also AA has an automated systems that searches records and if they see a dupe they cancel both reservations. If you wish to change your flight prior to departure the fee is $200.00, and if there is a fare difference. If you change after you fly, you may change your return 24 hours before traveling and pay $75.00. Please let us know what you would prefer. Thank you.
HMPS likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Don't enter your AA frequent flyer #. After the fact, if you indeed use the ticket, then you can claim the miles on it, but for now, try not entering your FFN.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
From my travel agent:
Does any carrier other than AA fly from any NYC airport to your home the following morning (at a comparable one-way fare)?

AA can cancel impossible bookings on AA; it can't cancel bookings made with other carriers.
GWFan likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 3:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by arollins
Don't enter your AA frequent flyer #. After the fact, if you indeed use the ticket, then you can claim the miles on it, but for now, try not entering your FFN.
AA's software is far more sophisticated than that old trick. It looks at many factors, not the least of which are name, date of birth, credit card, address, IP address, and other factors. This is not to say that one could not create a separate identity and beat the system. But, leaving one's FFP number off will not do the trick.

If there are other carriers serving the market, OP may simply book one of those. Not only can't AA detect it, but it is not even a violation of the COC.
babo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.