Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

J fare basis but economy seat - instant upgrade?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

J fare basis but economy seat - instant upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2019, 11:28 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
either (a) 1st person on the waitlist , if there is a waitlist or (b) 1st person to request the seat and get rebooked

No different to buying or changing any other ticket
the best is to call and pay change fee (if applicable) -- which isnt for AA when seat comes out,
there is no point to maintain a waitlist since it seems difficult to sort.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 4:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by pbd456
the best is to call and pay change fee (if applicable) -- which isnt for AA when seat comes out,
there is no point to maintain a waitlist since it seems difficult to sort.
Many airlines run waiting lists quite effectively - there is nothing difficult about it ; even AA manages to run waiting lists successfully

AA manages it for mileage upgrades and systemwide upgrades
Old Feb 24, 2019, 10:15 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
if there is 1 seat open up and multiple people have a J ticket paying J price. who is going to get the seat? if you dont get the seat, how do u know the others are upgrade and not only another J fare?
Pretty easy: the first person on the WAITLIST (not upgrade list)

(Note- I am not talking about 'upgrade fares'....this is J (or F fares) that would otherwise allow booking straight into the J/F cabin.)

How you "know" anything that AA doesnt publish is a perennial issue....

Why you would pay a 'change fee' when you arent changing a ticket seems very odd.

I can buy a fare Dxxxx ticket say SMF-DFW-LHR... get booked into J for DFW-LHR (in D inventory)...get booked into Y for SMF-DFW, with a waitlist for SMF-DFW (since no D available). It clears (or more likely if revenue management opens D as it gets closer to t-100), I get reseated- NO TICKET REISSUE NEEDED, why pay a change fee? Again, it isnt an upgrade list...its a waitlist
Old Feb 24, 2019, 11:57 am

When rebooking from economy to business, there is a reissue required;

Regardless , there is no reason to pay a chaange fee by AA policy
Old Feb 24, 2019, 12:07 pm

When rebooking from economy to business, there is a reissue required;

Regardless , there is no reason to pay a chaange fee by AA policy
No 'rebooking'. no reissue.

I feel like I am in a twilight zone here- I have had this happen many times... intl J ticket, no inventory in the domestic connections- just take a Y seat and waitlist for F. nothing is ever 'reissued'. For the simple reason the original ticket was issued for a J/F fare!
TheDudeAbides likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat

I feel like I am in a twilight zone here- I have had this happen many times... intl J ticket, no inventory in the domestic connections- just take a Y seat and waitlist for F. nothing is ever 'reissued'. For the simple reason the original ticket was issued for a J/F fare!
The fare is a J fare, but the eticket is in Y. just because you have a J fare means you can fly in J.

i have first class ticket, i only get to fly business class.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 2:51 pm

The fare is a J fare, but the eticket is in Y. just because you have a J fare means you can fly in J.

i have first class ticket, i only get to fly business class.
Are you discussing ONE SPECIFIC FARE? OP has never clarified his full fare code.

I have no idea what the rest of your words mean....
Old Feb 24, 2019, 2:58 pm

If booked in "Y" and then "J" inventory becomes available and an agent then changes the booking to be in "J", then there is a rebooking - changing a booking such that the booking is in "j" rather than "y" is as much a rebooking as any other change. There is no change of fare

If a waitlist is at the gate hoping that there will be space, then that is different
Old Feb 24, 2019, 4:46 pm

With a voluntary downgrader, there is no issue getting rebooked into the paid for cabin if availability in the required booking class opens

Other airlines may have different policies, but AA has a policy on upgrading to a higher class of travel not to charge a charge fee
Have to comment on this. I had a full Y fare ticket some years ago and wanted to pay up to J---it was LAX-JFK on AA. The AA agent said I would get charged a $200 fee in addition to the fare difference. I thought this was a crock of horse puckey. As loyal as I am to AA, I just got the ticket refunded and booked DL.

DL has never charged me a "change fee" or whatever to "buy up" in fare class. (Have been DM forever). AA was trying to do this on the episode I have cited. Never bothered to try to buy up on an AA ticket again.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 5:36 pm

If booked in "Y" and then "J" inventory becomes available and an agent then changes the booking to be in "J", then there is a rebooking - changing a booking such that the booking is in "j" rather than "y" is as much a rebooking as any other change. There is no change of fare

If a waitlist is at the gate hoping that there will be space, then that is different
You are talking nonsense.

You are booked in J, but seated in Y. If the J seat opens and they move me to J, there is no "re-booking".

Changing seats is not a 'rebooking'.

This whole idea that you can upfare with no change fee is true, but has no bearing on this issue.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 5:41 pm

Again, twighlight zone with people that dont know how airline tickets work....

Lets say you are flying A to B to C

You 'book' a fare that is A to C, in J. (Assumptively the fare rules allow connection in B)

Lets further stipulate that AB has no J availability, so you are in Y for A-B, but in J for B-C... (NOT A 'voluntary downgrade', just not seated in the cabin you have purchased.)

DO YOU THINK that A-B is booked in some 'y fare basis' and B-C is then in a J fare basis???????? Such that when inventory opens in A-B, you have to re-book the whole ticket??????

Lets start with the basics here, shall we?
Old Feb 24, 2019, 5:51 pm

are people using J to mean J-cabin or J-fare-basis? the latter would be quite infrequent.

the most relevant scenario is I-fare-basis confirmed into a Y-cabin fare basis for a segment.
after ticketing, I inventory materializing.
does AA reisuue the eticket and confirm space in I without change fee and repricing?
seems different than upfaring where the change fee is known to be waived.
and AA’s push for complete-itinerary repricing seems another gotcha.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 6:02 pm

You are talking nonsense.

You are booked in J, but seated in Y. If the J seat opens and they move me to J, there is no "re-booking".

Changing seats is not a 'rebooking'.

This whole idea that you can upfare with no change fee is true, but has no bearing on this issue.
are you earning J miles or Y miles? if the ticket is no re-issued, you are not getting J miles. if it is re-issued, it was rebooked.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by Colin
are people using J to mean J-cabin or J-fare-basis? the latter would be quite infrequent.

the most relevant scenario is I-fare-basis confirmed into a Y-cabin fare basis for a segment.
after ticketing, I inventory materializing.
does AA reisuue the eticket and confirm space in I without change fee and repricing?
seems different than upfaring where the change fee is known to be waived.
and AA’s push for complete-itinerary repricing seems another gotcha.
You bring up another issue. If the ticket is I fare, say I fare HKG CUN HKG with some sectors in Y class due to I = 0. Later on, the sector LAX CLT opens up in I. but the fare is gone. then what?
Old Feb 24, 2019, 6:22 pm

DO YOU THINK that A-B is booked in some 'y fare basis' and B-C is then in a J fare basis???????? Such that when inventory opens in A-B, you have to re-book the whole ticket??????

Lets start with the basics here, shall we?
Yes - if a person purchased a J afre and then is booked in economy due to it being either an economy only flight or becuase J had zero availability, the booking class that the passenger will be booked in will be Y

If it is a discount business class ticket, the booking class may be a different economy booking class

If the passenger is booked into J, then that passenger is booked in business class

When checking fare details, such as offered on Expert Flyer, there is information on what booking classes may be used

The fare basis will stay the same

e.g. booking a fare basis JRT for A-B-C r/t but J not available from A-B , then ticket will reflect

A-B - Booking class Y Fare Basis JRT
B-C - Booking class J Fare Basis JRT
C-B -Booking class J Fare Basis JRT
B-A - Booking class Y Fare Basis JRT

If J becomes available for A-B , either due to improved availability or due a change of aeroplane that means that J is offered, then can change to J on the A-B by phoning the airline and getting rebooked into J on A-B . Will then be able to select seats in the business class cabin

The ticket will need to be revalidated or reissued ; AA seems not to be in to doing revalidations though

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.