Search

Buzzfeed reports AA has seatback cameras

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2019, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Buzzfeed reports AA has seatback cameras

Old Feb 21, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Simple solution for those concerned: bring a Post-It pack with you on the plane, put one over the camera. Problem solved.
zpaul likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 11:53 am

TLDR: American Airlines spokesperson Ross Feinstein confirmed to BuzzFeed News that cameras are present on some of the airlines’ in-flight entertainment systems, but said “they have never been activated, and American is not considering using them.” Feinstein added, “Cameras are a standard feature on many in-flight entertainment systems used by multiple airlines. Manufacturers of those systems have included cameras for possible future uses, such as hand gestures to control in-flight entertainment.”

My thoughts: for the amount of cost cutting measures taking place, I'm surprised the AA bean counters went with an entertainment system that includes cameras, as they are surely more expensive than those without - not to mention the cost of software if they were to implement hand gesture control junk
chitink likes this.

Last edited by Gino Troian; Feb 21, 2019 at 11:59 am
Old Feb 21, 2019, 11:54 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
What a joke of an article. The cameras are not operationable. No wonder Buzzfeed is struggling to survive.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: CK or bust
American has this concern well under control.

By removing IFE from narrow-body aircraft, privacy enthusiasts will rejoice.

Just for good measure I frown at the IFE whenever I'm on board a MAX so that way my displeasure is registered with the non-operational camera.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Yawn. It's not like AA is hiding them, it's super obvious there is a camera there;anyone can tell by looking at it.

next breaking story - Buzzfeed discovers camera on phone while typing yet another rubbish story.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by Gino Troian
American is not considering using them."
Of course not. That will be left to the Russian or Chinese hackers.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BlatheringPenguin
Haven’t seen this posted yet.
Maybe that's because it's a total non-story? @:-)
Old Feb 21, 2019, 6:07 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
My thoughts: for the amount of cost cutting measures taking place, I'm surprised the AA bean counters went with an entertainment system that includes cameras, as they are surely more expensive than those without - not to mention the cost of software if they were to implement hand gesture control junk
Clearly cameras weigh less than olives.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 8:50 pm

I just assume I am under video surveillance these days
Old Feb 22, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
TLDR: American Airlines spokesperson Ross Feinstein confirmed to BuzzFeed News that cameras are present on some of the airlines’ in-flight entertainment systems, but said “they have never been activated, and American is not considering using them.” Feinstein added, “Cameras are a standard feature on many in-flight entertainment systems used by multiple airlines. Manufacturers of those systems have included cameras for possible future uses, such as hand gestures to control in-flight entertainment.”

I suspect that the spokesman made up that hand gesture excuse, and in reality AA simply bought the cheapest OEM tablets (which already included cameras) and slapped them into the headrest. Most of the newer IFE seem to be running Android and don't have any real need for customized hardware versus buying something off the shelf.

On a separate note, what exactly are people doing in their 10 cubic feet of seat space that they think is worthy of being spied on? I have an idea - maybe AA should use the camera and deliver a shock to the seat when people aren't paying attention to a very special offer, available on this flight only, for 50,000 bonus points, which is good enough for two round trip tickets within the continental US.
jmayo likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by flightrisk
I suspect that the spokesman made up that hand gesture excuse, and in reality AA simply bought the cheapest OEM tablets (which already included cameras) and slapped them into the headrest. Most of the newer IFE seem to be running Android and don't have any real need for customized hardware versus buying something off the shelf.

On a separate note, what exactly are people doing in their 10 cubic feet of seat space that they think is worthy of being spied on? I have an idea - maybe AA should use the camera and deliver a shock to the seat when people aren't paying attention to a very special offer, available on this flight only, for 50,000 bonus points, which is good enough for two round trip tickets within the continental US.
Or zapping people when ignoring the pre-flight safety info............Kidding, I am tired of hearing about it. I once had a BA FA snap at me for reading the airline magazine when they started with the safety chat.... (using a video)
Of course, zapping when people are playing devices without headphones would also be useful
Old Feb 22, 2019, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight
Of course, zapping when people are playing devices without headphones would also be useful
^^^^^^^^

In what world do folks think that it's considerate to do that?

I'm starting my own inoperable seat-back camera show which is sure to be a spectacular success with how many Oasis planes I seem to stumble into this days.
JDiver likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
My thoughts: for the amount of cost cutting measures taking place, I'm surprised the AA bean counters went with an entertainment system that includes cameras, as they are surely more expensive than those withoutk
Like iPhone and Galaxy's without cameras are cheaper? Cameras cost nearly nothing and are far from defining cheap vs. expensive electronics these days.

Originally Posted by enpremiere
In what world do folks think that it's considerate to do that?
Sadly, in this world many, many people do. I'm continually bombarded by people watching videos, having speakerphone conversations, video chatting, etc., in public places.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Of course not. That will be left to the Russian or Chinese hackers.
They don't need them. They have Marriott and SPG

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.