Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How to make the best of LAX - BA Golds flying AA to OGG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

We are two BA Golds / OWE arriving with our kids on British Airways first class, staying overnight at the Ritz Carlton Marina del Rey the departing on the 09.55 flight to Maui in Economy+..

So, a few questions if I may:

1. Can anyone recommend a car service to/from Marina del Rey.

2. My husband and I have TSA pre-check. What time should we aim to arrive at LAX so that we are not rushed / stressed but don’t waste hours at the airport.

3. Do we have lounge access at OWEs travelling economy and which lounges are available and recommended?

4. Is there a meal service in Economy? What sort of meal will it be?

5. Is there anywhere in the terminal that I can pick up snacks and sandwiches for the kids for the flight?

Thanks for your help.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:30 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Newly Wed
We are two BA Golds / OWE arriving with our kids on British Airways first class, staying overnight at the Ritz Carlton Marina del Rey the departing on the 09.55 flight to Maui in Economy+..

2. My husband and I have TSA pre-check. What time should we aim to arrive at LAX so that we are not rushed / stressed but don’t waste hours at the airport.

3. Do we have lounge access at OWEs travelling economy and which lounges are available and recommended?

5. Is there anywhere in the terminal that I can pick up snacks and sandwiches for the kids for the flight?

Thanks for your help.
1. Uber works perfectly fine at LAX. If you’d like a more comfortable experience (not needing to go up to arrivals, finding your car), you could book a car with Blacklane.

2. Both Precheck facilities at T4 and T5 move relatively quick. I wouldn’t arrive early to avoid stress here.

3. You’ll have access to the AA Flagship lounge in T4 and the QF First Class lounge in the international terminal. The QF lounge is great and is connected to T4 by an airside walkway.

4. There will he beverage service and light snacks available (fruit/cheese plate, hummus box, chicken sandwich):

5. Yep, plenty of places to pick up food for the kids.
JDiver likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent

Thanks for your help.
  1. Uber (X,XL, Premium) is fairly easy to use with a range of vehicle type; you must wait at a dedicated pick up point on the departures (upper) level. If you'd like someone waiting inside the terminal at baggage claim, Groundlink or (higher-end) Boston Coach/Dav-El. We also have Addison Lee.
  2. Two hours or even 90 minutes would be fine, depending on lounge time desired. With a family I'd recommend checking which terminal your flight will depart from before leaving the hotel (AA uses 4 and 5) and checking in at that terminal.
  3. Yes! OWEs can use the Flagship Lounge at Terminal 4 (one guest each, under age 2 doesn't count). This is recommended if your flight is leaving from Terminal 4. Otherwise, there are Admirals Clubs in both Terminal 4 and Terminal 5.
  4. Meal service is buy-on board cold wraps/fruit & cheese, etc. You can pre-order (without advance payment) online.
  5. Homeboy at Terminal 4 and The LA Farmers' Market at Terminal 5 are good choices for prepared food; there are plenty of shops with healthy and not so healthy bagged snacks, candy, bottled water (a must for this long flight in economy), etc.
boss315 and JDiver like this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:57 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Does the Flagship lounge limit access to OWEs? I know that as a PPRO flying international Y (which Hawaii is not), I would be allowed one guest. If the OP has several kids, this might be an issue (maybe).
Old Feb 17, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Does the Flagship lounge limit access to OWEs? I know that as a PPRO flying international Y (which Hawaii is not), I would be allowed one guest. If the OP has several kids, this might be an issue (maybe).

3. Do we have lounge access a[s] OWEs...

I interpreted this as (at least) two Emeralds traveling. It's one guest per Emerald for the Flagship Lounge. I noted the OP is an Executive Club member. For EXPs, no Flagship or Admirals Club privileges would be extended at all on this domestic itinerary.
JDiver likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
How old are your kids?

12 and < can go through Pre with you if older then the normal lane unless they have GE/Pre in their own right.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/frequentl...-precheck-lane
Old Feb 17, 2019, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
I interpreted this as (at least) two Emeralds traveling. It's one guest per Emerald for the Flagship Lounge. I noted the OP is an Executive Club member. For EXPs, no Flagship or Admirals Club privileges would be extended at all on this domestic itinerary.
OP mentions being OWE by being British Gold and hence should have access to both the Flagship and QF lounges, I think.
With kids, I would suggest the Flagship lounge to avoid the walk, albeit a short one to QF Also, in my opinion, the buffet at the Flagship lounge is better with kids than the sit down, plated service for breakfast at the QF lounge.
I suggest getting there at 8:00 a.m.if you do not like to be rushed because check in can be quite unpredictable at LAX.
JDiver likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Good info.

I always skip the Flagship lounge and go to the Qantas F if available. Higher quality food - but if buffet's are what floats your boat, then Flagship Lounge. The walk is pretty easy unless your kids are an armful.

Also, you need more time at the Qantas lounge because the food is made to order. Buffet would be quicker obviously.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks for the responses which are really helpful.

We have 2 kids under 12 so looks like TSA Pre should be ok and we are ok for lounge access with the Flagship lounge being the preferred option.

How far out will we know which terminal our flight departs from and is it easy to transfer from T4 to T5 if we need to? Can we transfer internally and how long before our flight would we need to leave the lounge?

Jetlag (+8 hours) will work in our favour for an early start and my kids have done many 12+ hour segments and are unfazed by a 5 hour hop as long as they are fed and watered.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Thanks for the responses which are really helpful.

We have 2 kids under 12 so looks like TSA Pre should be ok and we are ok for lounge access with the Flagship lounge being the preferred option.

How far out will we know which terminal our flight departs from and is it easy to transfer from T4 to T5 if we need to? Can we transfer internally and how long before our flight would we need to leave the lounge?

Jetlag (+8 hours) will work in our favour for an early start and my kids have done many 12+ hour segments and are unfazed by a 5 hour hop as long as they are fed and watered.
Hi,

Yes you can there is a walkway (tunnel) airside between T4 and T5 ( and also an airside walkway between TBIT ( Qantas F lounge) and T4.

Unlike LHR the gates are displayed well in advance ( it may even be on your boarding pass when you check in ) -but it is advisable to check the monitors as the gates could change. Also no flight announcements are made in the Flagship lounge IIRC.

Enjoy Maui!

Regards

TBS
Old Feb 17, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
The breakfast buffet in the Flagship Lounge is quite nice, but personally, I prefer to arrive early and enjoy a nice a la carte breakfast in the QF F Lounge.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 2:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
The Flagship Lounge is in terminal 4. If your flight is in Terminal 5, it's no more than a 10-minute walk through the tunnel from terminal 4. I think food choices for the kids take away are better in Terminal 5 than terminal 4.

as a oneworld Emerald , I think you can use the flagship check-in at LAX which will be even quicker and is at the end of terminal 4.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
How old are your kids?

12 and < can go through Pre with you if older then the normal lane unless they have GE/Pre in their own right.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/frequentl...-precheck-lane
Even if the kids are over 12, they’re likely to get PreCheck if on the same reservation as a trusted traveler program member anyway. My non-trusted traveler adult traveling companions always do. (My child companion has NEXUS thus gets PreCheck regardless.)
Gerbs likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 3:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
There are some very useful terminal maps in the AA app, which ought to also tell you which terminal to head for with a reasonable amount of warning.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:12 pm

Programs: HH Diamond - Marriott Titanium- AA EP
QF lounge at LAX guest privileges for family?

Originally Posted by potus18
[left]

3. You’ll have access to the AA Flagship lounge in T4 and the QF First Class lounge in the international terminal. The QF lounge is great and is connected to T4 by an airside walkway.

Hi guys,

Since OW updated their website and app I’m no longer able to locate where I can read about guest privileges for OF First Lounge? Family is going to travel to Tokyo on JL in June and I’m OW Emerald (EP on AA). Will be travelling with wife, a 6-year-old and a 3-year-old who are all non-elites (no status).

I visited the OF Lounge many times when travelling internationally via connection through LAX but never asked about guest privileges since it was only myself…….

Looks like we’ll have about 3 hrs to kill in LAX and what better place then the OF First lounge but not sure if we’ll all be able to get in……..

Mods, apologies if I should have posted this to a more appropriate forum and feel free to move.
Thank you all!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.