Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How to make the best of LAX - BA Golds flying AA to OGG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to make the best of LAX - BA Golds flying AA to OGG

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:14 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Also see the Wikipost at the top of the page of Guide: LAX / Los Angeles TBIT / Bradley Int’l. oneworld Lounges. Links to threads including the airside pedestrian bridge between T4 and TBIT.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 18, 2019 at 10:08 am
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:29 pm

Programs: HH Diamond - Marriott Titanium- AA EP
Originally Posted by JDiver
Also see the Wikipost at the top of the page ofhttps://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1676544-guide-lax-los-angeles-tbit-bradley-int-l-oneworld-lounges.html. Links to threads including the airside pedestrian bridge between T4 and TBIT.
Thank you for the guidance but I'm not locating where guest access?
Attached Images  
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
I believe OW privileges include 1 guest not a whole family but there may be specific rules relating to specific lounges.

Back to my queries and thanks again for this helpful set of answers, it looks like we should aim to:

1. Check in at Flagship first in T4 - can we do that even if departing from T5?

2. Walk from T4 to TBIT for breakfast in the QF lounge - can we walk that airside, are there additional security check points and am I right that it is a 10 minute walk?

3. Repeat the walk back to T4/T5 - how much extra time do we need to leave if going to T5? How early does AA board it’s flight? I absolutely hate having to rush to board usually because Mr NW disappears into a shop as we are heading to the gate. I assume we will board in group 2 although Mr NW has BA Gold Guest List status and I have heard that sometimes GGLs are sometimes treated as equivalent to CK.

The trip is not until the Summer and if anyone has any suggestions on where we should stay in Beverley Hills on the way home that would be appreciated.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 5:14 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by Newly Wed

2. Walk from T4 to TBIT for breakfast in the QF lounge - can we walk that airside, are there additional security check points and am I right that it is a 10 minute walk?

3. Repeat the walk back to T4/T5 - how much extra time do we need to leave if going to T5? How early does AA board it’s flight? I absolutely hate having to rush to board usually because Mr NW disappears into a shop as we are heading to the gate. I assume we will board in group 2 although Mr NW has BA Gold Guest List status and I have heard that sometimes GGLs are sometimes treated as equivalent to CK.
1-Yes

2-You can walk airside between 4-5-TBIT. Unless your whole crew is excited about lounge hopping, I think you'll have a much more pleasant morning checking in where your flight departs and using the closest lounge for an hour, picking up the snacks you want for the flight, etc, rather than rushing the family from terminal to terminal to check out a lounge that is unlikely to be of the quality of the breakfast available at the Ritz.

3-10-12 minutes from anywhere in 4 to anywhere in 5 should be fine, then add another 10 if coming from the lounge area in TBIT

Finally, do allow sufficient travel time from the Marina to your terminal at LAX. It may take you 20 minutes to get to T4/T5 once you're on airport property. If you're not into rushing, I really think a nice family breakfast at the hotel and a plan to arrive 90-105 minutes before the flight is the most leisurely route here.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 6:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by A651346
Hi guys,

Since OW updated their website and app I’m no longer able to locate where I can read about guest privileges for OF First Lounge? Family is going to travel to Tokyo on JL in June and I’m OW Emerald (EP on AA). Will be travelling with wife, a 6-year-old and a 3-year-old who are all non-elites (no status).
Its only the OWE/EXP plus one guest. I've tried it with two guests and it didn't work. But .... they weren't three and six so its worth a shot.

You can check in at the Flagship Checkin even if departing from T5 (or TBIT). I'd highly recommend it.

T4 is connected to TBIT by an airside overhead walkway. The QF lounge is a 10 minute walk after security.
T5 is connected to T4 by a tunnel. T5 is a 10 minute walk from terminal 4.
The Flagship Lounge is in T4. T5 has an Admirals Club

So ... if your flight is from terminal 5, it will be a 20 minute walk from the QF lounge. When traveling alone, that's a no brainer for me. Bigger question with family.

You won't know which terminal until that day.

So, if it were me, I'd definitely checkin at the Flagship Checkin at the end of T4.
If the flight is from T5, I'd go to the Flagship Lounge in T4 and feed the kids then walk over to T5 around 30-45 minutes before your flight. Frankly, its as good as anything you'll get at the Ritz. Not to mention a decent champagne bar. With the kids, I'd skip the QF lounge and save it for the return trip. If you go to the QF lounge you'll need to leave an hour before your flight.
If the flight is from T4, you could do either the Flagship Lounge or the QF Lounge. The QF lounge is likely better than anything you'll get at the Ritz. Plus great coffee and champagne.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Thanks all.
Think we'll stick with the Flagship Lounge and save the QF lounge for our return flight to London. We have plenty of lounge experience and I'm not sure its worth the extra walk to TBIT for a slightly better breakfast.
NYC Flyer and JDiver like this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 8:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As to car service, I would definitely use Uber Black SUV with a family of four and presumably luggage. You won't have more than a 2-3 minute wait either at LAX or the hotel and I have found that the convenience of not being tied to a schedule with a booked service is worth a lot in terms of stress. If I'm ready to go 15 minutes earlier, then I'm ready to go.

As to food, while you may pre-order, it is all pre-packaged. Particularly with children, best to find what they want at LAX.

Last edited by Often1; Feb 18, 2019 at 8:30 am
Old Feb 18, 2019, 8:44 am
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Thanks all.
Think we'll stick with the Flagship Lounge and save the QF lounge for our return flight to London. We have plenty of lounge experience and I'm not sure its worth the extra walk to TBIT for a slightly better breakfast.
And I would argue, to be honest, that the breakfast in the Flagship lounge is better than Qantas. Depending on the day of the week the Flagship lounge can be VERY crowded in the morning with two departures to Tokyo, Shanghai and Beijing all close together, plus the usual smattering of JFK guests. I've been in there several times and not been able to find any place to sit. If that's the case you may want to head to Qantas.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:11 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by A651346
Thank you for the guidance but I'm not locating where guest access?
You’re allowed one guest, but they’re fairly family oriented and are likely to admit with two children, aged 3 and 6.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by dll
And I would argue, to be honest, that the breakfast in the Flagship lounge is better than Qantas.
I'd agree. For breakfast, the Flagship lounge is better in my opinion - especially with the omelette station which I enjoy. It's quick and easy, which is nice when travelling with kids.

Personally, I think the food at the QF lounge has gone down in quality over my last few visits. While I typically spend time at both lounges before evening trips to Australia I wouldn't choose one based on food alone. There are positives and negatives about both lounges depending on what you are looking for as far as atmosphere. In this scenario go with what is most convenient and family friendly which would be the Flagship lounge.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 2:20 pm

Programs: HH Diamond - Marriott Titanium- AA EP
Originally Posted by JDiver
You’re allowed one guest, but they’re fairly family oriented and are likely to admit with two children, aged 3 and 6.
Thank you all the replies!

I'll give it a shot and will report back
Old Feb 19, 2019, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by NYC Flyer

Finally, do allow sufficient travel time from the Marina to your terminal at LAX. It may take you 20 minutes to get to T4/T5 once you're on airport property. If you're not into rushing, I really think a nice family breakfast at the hotel and a plan to arrive 90-105 minutes before the flight is the most leisurely route here.
This is very important! While Ritz MDR is only 3 miles from LAX, it will likely take you about 1 hour to get from door to door. If you are using a car service or Uber Black, you can ask to be dropped off at the arrival (lower) level of LAX which will have less traffic during early morning. If you are using UberX or Lyft, you can only be dropped off at the departure (upper) level, which will be very congested and will take minimum of 20 minutes to go from Sepulveda Blvd entrance to T4. An alternative for UberX or Lyft is to ask the driver to drop you off at T5 instead of T4. The driver can use the middle cutoff loop to reach T5, thus saving about 10 minutes of sitting in the car. From the near end of T5 drop off to T4 flagship check in is a very short 2~3 minutes walk.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 5:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
The other thing to point out is that the OP should also be able to get at least one complimentary alcoholic beverage and a free snack item while in Economy by virtue of their OWE status. The blue handheld does not differentiate between EXP and OWE when it comes to such things! Assuming they have MCE seats then it may be more than one beverage, but I believe just the one snack item.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Quick follow up question if I may? I took the plunge and upgraded us to F for our LAX to Maui flight. I also moved us on to the earlier 08.20 flight since we will still be on UK team 8 hours ahead and therefore raring to go by 5am.

What time would you recommend we leave the Ritz Carton Marina del Reya to arrive at LAX in time for breakfast in the Flagship Lounge without being overly rushed. My instincts tell me to book a 05.45 transfer with a view to arriving at LAX around 06.30 but I have no idea whether those timings make sense.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Quick follow up question if I may? I took the plunge and upgraded us to F for our LAX to Maui flight. I also moved us on to the earlier 08.20 flight since we will still be on UK team 8 hours ahead and therefore raring to go by 5am.

What time would you recommend we leave the Ritz Carton Marina del Reya to arrive at LAX in time for breakfast in the Flagship Lounge without being overly rushed. My instincts tell me to book a 05.45 transfer with a view to arriving at LAX around 06.30 but I have no idea whether those timings make sense.
Leaving at 5:45am will be plenty of time, at that time in the morning you're looking at no more than 15 mins to get from MDR to LAX. If you're in the car at 6am you'll probably be in the Flagship Lounge by 6:30am assuming no strange delays at security or check-in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.