FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Check-in time and tips to get best seats if ticketed in Basic Economy? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1956166-check-time-tips-get-best-seats-if-ticketed-basic-economy.html)

mvoight Feb 13, 2020 10:40 am

Originally Posted by Segments (Post 31005676)
BE flyers should not be assigned MCE or preferred seating until at the gate. This gives others the chance to buy up, accommodate IRROPS of elites and those purchasing Main Cabin or provide preferred seating options for standby pax.

IMHO Free alcoholic drinks should only be served in MCE if a person paid to sit there, or os an elite.

jmsnyc Feb 21, 2020 9:02 am

So just trying to gauge the algorithm., I checked in about t-5. The cheapest seats to buy were $19 exit row middles but they were not extended leg room seats towards the back. Then there was 11D (aisle) , 6a(window) and a few of course in MCE (row 5 bulkhead) and MCE Exit that of course were $43. Both 11D and 6a were $29 - same price. I thought it would give me 11D since I think they go by cheapest first from back and I did not want to be too greedy to try and get row 5 though in hindsight I should have as 20 minutes later only 5D and MCE middle available. I don't drink but better snacks and ability to get up without bothering the person next to me would have made it worth it.
/
/
So bottom line seat cost being equal, window towards front was auto-assigned before aisle further back.

Segments Feb 21, 2020 10:45 am

Originally Posted by jmsnyc (Post 32097279)
I did not want to be too greedy to try and get row 5 though in hindsight I should have as 20 minutes later only 5D and MCE middle available. I don't drink but better snacks and ability to get up without bothering the person next to me would have made it worth it.

Better snacks? What better snacks in MCE? Same pretzel or Biscoff option.

jmsnyc Feb 21, 2020 11:31 am

Originally Posted by Segments (Post 32097628)
Better snacks? What better snacks in MCE? Same pretzel or Biscoff option.

Ok, maybe that was Delta Comfort I am getting confused with

Cledaybuck Feb 21, 2020 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight (Post 32067949)
IMHO Free alcoholic drinks should only be served in MCE if a person paid to sit there, or os an elite.

This would be a nightmare for the FA’s. And why do you care if someone else gets a free drink?

jmsnyc Feb 25, 2020 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight (Post 32067949)

I disagree with that attitude, sometimes people in BE pay more than people who pay for MCE...... They are paying to be assigned the leftovers If they get lucky and get an MCE seat so be it, its like booking an un-guaranteed cruise cabin , sometimes you luck out, most of the time you get the crap.

I bought a BE RT FLL-CLT for over $500 2 weeks prior, 1 week prior, Main Cabin was $450 range - this crap is the crap that is unfair

I really think individual airline seats should all be the same price regardless of time booked. Sure make the seats in the back and the middles , cheaper than the aisles and windows and seats in the front. People can choose and buy what they want, first come , first serve. It should not have to be a game.

lowfareair Dec 24, 2020 1:54 pm

Flying tomorrow night (AA gold) and wanted to bump this thread to get opinions. Currently in 6 D&F in the LUS A321. Most solo seats together are aisle/window with just a couple middles. 5 seats remain for sale.

Assuming the flight goes out with a few empty seats, what's the best strategy for having seats together without a 3rd?

1) Keep what we have
2) Switch to row 13 A/C
3) Switch to row 10 A/C MCE
4) One of the above, but don't leave the middle open by taking a middle and aisle (it seems BE too get those assigned first)

It seems it may be keep what we have with the possibility of moving 6F to 6E to prevent an auto-assignment of preferred. I feel like taking the MCE on a plane with little MCE will result in another elite grabbing the 3rd seat for the extra legroom.

Thoughts?
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...35a67d5ba1.png

gateH15 Dec 24, 2020 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by lowfareair (Post 32910810)
Flying tomorrow night (AA gold) and wanted to bump this thread to get opinions. Currently in 6 D&F in the LUS A321. Most solo seats together are aisle/window with just a couple middles. 5 seats remain for sale.

Assuming the flight goes out with a few empty seats, what's the best strategy for having seats together without a 3rd?

1) Keep what we have2) Switch to row 13 A/C
3) Switch to row 10 A/C MCE
4) One of the above, but don't leave the middle open by taking a middle and aisle (it seems BE too get those assigned first)

It seems it may be keep what we have with the possibility of moving 6F to 6E to prevent an auto-assignment of preferred. I feel like taking the MCE on a plane with little MCE will result in another elite grabbing the 3rd seat for the extra legroom.

Thoughts?

10AC is your best bet - row in front is missing so you will be more distant from people in front of you. Also exit rows are not automatically assigned for BE during online check in. So in my experience middle seats in exit rows are assigned last. But keep in mind other teams travelers with status may choose that exit middle seat. I personally would rather made a middle seat in row 10 than any other seat on LUS 321

lowfareair Dec 24, 2020 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by gateH15 (Post 32910821)
10AC is your best bet - row in front is missing so you will be more distant from people in front of you. Also exit rows are not automatically assigned for BE during online check in. So in my experience middle seats in exit rows are assigned last. But keep in mind other teams travelers with status may choose that exit middle seat. I personally would rather made a middle seat in row 10 than any other seat on LUS 321

That's my worry with row 10 - it would make 10B literally the last MCE seat on the plane so I feel some elite member would grab it just to have it.

With so many preferred aisle/window available though, should I switch to 6 E/F (or D/E) to prevent the system from auto-assigning 6E before it assigns the window/aisle preferred seats?

gateH15 Dec 24, 2020 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by lowfareair (Post 32910852)
That's my worry with row 10 - it would make 10B literally the last MCE seat on the plane so I feel some elite member would grab it just to have it.

With so many preferred aisle/window available though, should I switch to 6 E/F (or D/E) to prevent the system from auto-assigning 6E before it assigns the window/aisle preferred seats?

Possibly but GA can give this middle seat to non revs. If there are only 5 economy seats left for sale - I would not bet on having empty middle seat. Go with exit row - at least you will be more comfortable.

taxatty56 Dec 24, 2020 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by gateH15 (Post 32910821)

I agree with 10AC here--I've been in a similar position a few times, and unless the plane is totally full or a non-rev jumps on, 10B should stay empty .

bbeliko Mar 4, 2021 2:24 pm

Hi everyone, wanted to share my experience as this thread was really helpful. Flew MEX-DFW earlier today, w/ my wife. Flight looked pretty full but at T-24 some middle seats in the back were available. At T-2 only MCE was available, so I checked in, despite the fact that seats together were available, we did not get a seat together however were seated in MCE, on middle seat in the bulkhead and one window seat in "regular" MCE. It does seem like there is a huge upside and very little downside to waiting 'till the last moment to check in.