FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Check-in time and tips to get best seats if ticketed in Basic Economy? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1956166-check-time-tips-get-best-seats-if-ticketed-basic-economy.html)

bchandler02 Apr 11, 2019 8:09 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 30775385)
The best time is when there are good/better seats open and no bad ones. That is sometime between T-24 hours and T-90 minutes.

If there is an aisle MCE and a middle near the lav, you are going into the latter. If there is only the aisle MCE, that is where you are going.

No way to predict this in advance.

So somebody on a cheapo BE fair can potentially get an MCE seat if they play the game (and worst case, they get a rear middle seat - what they paid for) - all while those on normal fare tickets are stuck in their selected seats that aren't MCE, and could not select MCE even within 24 hours of booking?

Way to go, AA.

asf-07 Apr 11, 2019 8:20 am

Just a data point - I have seen people checking in on BE tickets get assigned to a seat that was blocked. To be cautious, I'd consider those to be potentially assignable seats that the system might drop you in.

marlin Apr 11, 2019 8:43 am

Thank you! I will do that-but if the flight is oversold (and I think it will be given weather cancellations the day before) is there any
danger I could be IDB?

DCAFly Apr 11, 2019 8:52 am

Marlin, I see you participated in the last thread, which was already referenced earlier. The answer has not changed since then. You will get the worst seat still available, commensurate with the fare you purchased.

Of course the best option is to just buy the MCE seat.

marlin Apr 11, 2019 10:39 am

Thank you. I'll report back.

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Apr 11, 2019 10:42 am

Originally Posted by bchandler02 (Post 30988791)
So somebody on a cheapo BE fair can potentially get an MCE seat if they play the game (and worst case, they get a rear middle seat - what they paid for) - all while those on normal fare tickets are stuck in their selected seats that aren't MCE, and could not select MCE even within 24 hours of booking?

Way to go, AA.

To me the only way this works properly is if AA takes the last few rows of Y, takes the rows down to 28 inch pitch and offer those seats for BE. Once they sell out of those seats the buyer would only have the option of Main Cabin. That way the buyer gets what they paid for. AA could even require $$ for soft drinks for that section.

DCAFly Apr 11, 2019 11:30 am

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge (Post 30989418)
To me the only way this works properly is if AA takes the last few rows of Y, takes the rows down to 28 inch pitch and offer those seats for BE. Once they sell out of those seats the buyer would only have the option of Main Cabin. That way the buyer gets what they paid for. AA could even require $$ for soft drinks for that section.

I think BE is headed this way (courtesy of MadTV)

GNRMatt Apr 11, 2019 11:52 am

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge (Post 30989418)

The biggest problem for this is when people miss a connection and get re-booked on the next available flight and all that is left are these seats. Yes, you would probably be able to wait until the next available flight with regular main cabin seats, but it is a big negative repercussion that could help push some people away from the airline.

Antarius Apr 11, 2019 11:57 am

Originally Posted by bchandler02 (Post 30988791)

Way to go, AA.

I did find it surprising that BE regularly get MCE middle seats still especially after they added free drinks.

I would imagine they would have only offered it to paid or status MCE by using the tablets. Although, it's possible the IT system is unable to handle this.

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Apr 11, 2019 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by GNRMatt (Post 30989710)
The biggest problem for this is when people miss a connection and get re-booked on the next available flight and all that is left are these seats. Yes, you would probably be able to wait until the next available flight with regular main cabin seats, but it is a big negative repercussion that could help push some people away from the airline.

Well I assume it would be the same for flyers that have a J seat. They miss the connection to Europe or SA and what's left is coach, or they wait. In general it shouldn't have a huge effect. Load factors wouldn't change that much. I would think AA could easily sell off the last few rows of Y on BE fares and I wouldn't see many of them going out empty.

marlin Apr 15, 2019 9:36 am

Just wanted to report that I had good luck with checking in at T-1.5 hours
All seats were taken on ExpertFlyer and 4 seats in the back were marked with an X. Somehow, I got row 13 aisle.

Score8 Apr 15, 2019 11:04 am

Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 30989731)
I did find it surprising that BE regularly get MCE middle seats still especially after they added free drinks.

I would imagine they would have only offered it to paid or status MCE by using the tablets. Although, it's possible the IT system is unable to handle this.

I find it annoying that any non-elite passengers ever get MCE seats they didn't pay for. First, as mentioned earlier in the thread, in an IRROPS situation, it would be nice if the MCE seats were available. Second, having an empty middle seat should also be something that occurs from time to time.

maskedmesothorium Apr 16, 2019 12:17 am

Originally Posted by Score8 (Post 31002900)
I find it annoying that any non-elite passengers ever get MCE seats they didn't pay for. First, as mentioned earlier in the thread, in an IRROPS situation, it would be nice if the MCE seats were available. Second, having an empty middle seat should also be something that occurs from time to time.

Would be nice! Those purchasing BE have to sit somewhere though, and AA should be assigning them to MCE only if there aren't any other seats available at the time. Not sure what else they could do short of waiting to assign BE seats until right at boarding to ensure MCE seats are filled only as a last resort. They aren't going to let those seats fly empty and bump a BE passenger with an unassigned seat to protect the prestige, hah.

I wonder if BE flyers that end up in MCE are even aware of the free alcohol benefit? I would expect most are not, even if it's mentioned in passing over the PA.

Segments Apr 16, 2019 4:54 am

BE flyers should not be assigned MCE or preferred seating until at the gate. This gives others the chance to buy up, accommodate IRROPS of elites and those purchasing Main Cabin or provide preferred seating options for standby pax.

IADCAflyer Apr 16, 2019 5:08 am

So you can buy BE, wait for last minute to get an assigned seat, actually get assigned a MCE seat, and get a free drink. Excellent motivator for the Kettles.