FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Check-in time and tips to get best seats if ticketed in Basic Economy? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1956166-check-time-tips-get-best-seats-if-ticketed-basic-economy.html)

BillDB Feb 13, 2019 3:48 pm

Check-in time and tips to get best seats if ticketed in Basic Economy?

Hello,

Tried to search for this but couldn't find much. When is the best time to check in for a Basic Economy fare to try to score the best seats? I know with Frontier I always check in as late as possible (like an hour before takeoff) and it usually works pretty well. Is AA Basic Economy set up the same way? Or should I try to check in as early as possible?

Thanks!

gateH15 Feb 13, 2019 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by BillDB (Post 30775240)
Hello,

Tried to search for this but couldn't find much. When is the best time to check in for a Basic Economy fare to try to score the best seats? I know with Frontier I always check in as late as possible (like an hour before takeoff) and it usually works pretty well. Is AA Basic Economy set up the same way? Or should I try to check in as early as possible?

Thanks!

depends on a flight load. If it’s a full flight and you check in closer to the deadline you have a chance to score MCE seat I guess. But before checking in I would check away map to make sure there are no open seats in row 99 cuz that’s what you gonna get if it’s open as a punishment for purchasing BE.

Often1 Feb 13, 2019 4:27 pm

The best time is when there are good/better seats open and no bad ones. That is sometime between T-24 hours and T-90 minutes.

If there is an aisle MCE and a middle near the lav, you are going into the latter. If there is only the aisle MCE, that is where you are going.

No way to predict this in advance.

donotblink Feb 13, 2019 5:23 pm

I believe the best time to check in is as late as possible.

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Feb 14, 2019 5:27 am

Originally Posted by donotblink (Post 30775545)
I believe the best time to check in is as late as possible.

Ditto. Likely you won't end up any worse off had you checked in at T-24.

TribalistMeathead Feb 14, 2019 8:18 am

For me it's "buy a seat at T-48." We will be traveling with a lap child for the next 18 months or so, and you don't want Little Meathead and me (or Little Meathead and Mrs. Meathead) in the middle next to you, trust me.

marlin Apr 11, 2019 6:41 am

Another question BE-Trying to get a decent seat

Sorry if this has been asked before. I have looked everywhere.

Booked BE seat (it's now 26 hours before flight) and I am looking at Expert Flyer. There are 2 seats in row 18 (not MCE)
and four blocked off in the last row.

If I check in now, will I be offered seat 18? Don't want the last row and would be willing to wait until 2 hours before the
flight to get MCE. However, this is flying into MSP-with the blizzard going on.

asf-07 Apr 11, 2019 6:56 am

you should generally expect the system to give you the worst unoccupied seat whenever you ultimately check in

JJeffrey Apr 11, 2019 7:01 am

Yea, here's a similar question from not too long ago:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...est-seats.html

marlin Apr 11, 2019 7:12 am

There are showing blocked off seats in the last row and 2 free seats in Row 18. If I check in now as BE, which do you think I will get?

marlin Apr 11, 2019 7:13 am

Thank you for finding that. Understood BE is awful. But is a blocked off seat gonna show for me or is that something else?

MathMusic Apr 11, 2019 7:27 am

I don't think they will try and seat you in a blocked seat, and the later you check in the better the chance you get a MCE seat for free if the map is fairly full..

gateH15 Apr 11, 2019 7:28 am

Originally Posted by marlin (Post 30988613)
There are showing blocked off seats in the last row and 2 free seats in Row 18. If I check in now as BE, which do you think I will get?

they assign from the back of the plane.

freeagent Apr 11, 2019 7:53 am

They also assign middle seats first so if there's a middle seat open its likely yours.

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Apr 11, 2019 7:53 am

Best rule of thumb would be wait until around T-1 to T-2 to check in. At worst you end up with a bad seat, which is what you paid for. At best, you end up with a MCE seat although likely a middle seat.