Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Questions for 2019 about, guide to, listing of, compensation (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (2019, master thread)

Welcome to the "2019 Guide to, and listing of, compensation" thread!

NOTE: AA Flight Attendants are issued Samsung Galaxy Note handheld devices. These are equipped with the iSolve app, which enables flight attendants to offer AAdvantage members on-the-spot compensation in the form of AAdvantage miles when specific inconveniences happen inflight. Those inflight inconveniences might include such things as inflight entertainment issues, broken seats or meal shortages. link to article by By Lewis Lazare, Chicago Business Journal, Jan 9, 2018

If compensation is not generated onsite or automatically (occasionally, it will), you will want to contact American Airlines Customer Relations. See Contacting American Airlines Customer Relations & Complaint, Issues (master thread).

In keeping with tradition, we'd like to ask members to report their compensation in the following format:

• Date
  • AAdvantage Status
  • Fare class
  • What happened
  • Compensation
  • Comments
Please, do NOT post names of non-management employees, in accordance with FlyerTalk TOS (q#69) "Respect the privacy of non-management travel service employees by not referring to them by name."

JGR01 has created a spreadsheet parsing posts in this thread from 2003-2007, available for download here

AA's official policy regarding compensation for delays, cancellations, and diversions is as follows (thanks to tom911 for posting):
DELAYS, CANCELLATIONS AND DIVERSIONS

American Airlines will provide customers at the airport and onboard an affected aircraft with timely and frequent updates regarding known delays, cancellations and diversions and will strive to provide the best available information concerning the duration of delays and to the extent available, the flight's anticipated departure time.

We are not responsible for any special, incidental or consequential damages if we do not meet this commitment.

When cancellations and major delays are experienced, you will be rerouted on our next flight with available seats. If the delay or cancellation was caused by events within our control and we do not get you to your final destination on the expected arrival day, we will provide reasonable overnight accommodations, subject to availability.

In extreme circumstances, it is possible that a flight will cancel while on the ground in the city to which it was diverted. When this happens you will be rerouted on the next American flight with available seats, or in some circumstances on another airline or some other alternative means of transportation. If we are unable to reroute you, reasonable overnight accommodations will be provided by American, subject to availability.

American will provide amenities for delayed passengers, necessary to maintain the safety and/or welfare of certain passengers such as customers with disabilities, unaccompanied children, the elderly or others to whom such amenities will be furnished consistent with special needs and/or circumstances.
• The U. S. Department of Transportation's official policy regarding compensation for delays or cancellations is as follows (thanks to hillrider for posting):
Contrary to the belief of some, airlines are not required to compensate passengers for “damages” when flights are delayed or canceled. Compensation is required by law only when you are “bumped” from a flight that is oversold. Airlines almost always refuse to pay passengers for financial losses resulting from a delayed flight. If the purpose of your trip is to close a potentially lucrative business deal, to give a speech or lecture, to attend a family function, or to be present at any time-sensitive event, you might want to allow a little extra time and take an earlier flight. In other words, airline delays and cancellations are not unusual, and defensive planning is a good idea when time is your most important consideration.
Flights to/from/within Europe carry specific compensation rights, as outlined at: http://ec.europa.eu/transport/passen.../en/index.html

Also see (FT) EC261 / EC 261/2004 complaints, compensation and AA (master thread)

(The other compensation threads are archived and closed, but can easily be accessed for reading here:

ARCHIVE: 2018 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation

2017 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

2016 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

2015 Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (consolidated - archived)

2014 Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (consolidated - archived)

2013 Questions about, guide to, and listing of compensation (archived)

Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2012 - archived)

Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2003 - 2011 archived)

AA Forum Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Questions for 2019 about, guide to, listing of, compensation (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2019, 7:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. If the original flight into MIA was from the EU, then EC 261/2004 will apply and OP should come back with those details. If not, put the Regulation aside as it is not applicable.

2. Everything else is simply a matter of reasonableness. Hotel, food & local transport. But, consequential damages are expressly excluded from their contract with AA (and would be with pretty much all carriers for the reasons described upthread).

3. That leaves two things. While no compensation is due, it is possible that AA will grant some form of customer service gesture, e.g. miles or credit. It will not link that to the hotel night, but it is something. Also, most properties are very understanding of these sorts of occurrences and will often work with customers to extend a stay, refund points or do something else. They key is to call the property directly (not a toll-free reservations line) ASAP as the earlier the call comes in, the more likely the property is to find a taker for the room. Finally, while award stays can be tricky, many travel insurance policies pay out a set dollar amount after a given delay. Thus, while the points might be gone, there would be some cash.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 7:36 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I have had this happen before, called the hotel (in BOM) told them what had happened, they just adjusted the reservation.. no charge
Again, why is it , that some people always looking for compensation. after all the op was given a hotel room for the night
Old Mar 27, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: Enough
Originally Posted by LBJ
Not true. They only have to behave "reasonably" in a delay. Unless you can somehow prove that their actions were not reasonable, you are not likely going to win any compensation. Here's a good summary --

" However, Article 19 further provides that, the "carrier shall not be liable for damage occasioned by delay if it proves that it and its servants and agents took all measures that could reasonably be required to avoid the damage or that it was impossible for it or them to take such measures." "All measures" has not been interpreted to mean an airline must do everything in its power to avoid delay, only what is reasonable."

"Courts have found that airlines behaved reasonably in delay situations caused by increased security measures, mechanical failures, and weather disruptions. "
I would encourage you to research case law on the topic. Liability would not flow from the Convention for things such as airport shutdowns due to security, the mass grounding of the MAX, or inclement weather, so long as the carrier did all that it could reasonably do to get the passenger moving. If an airport is shutdown, for example, there isn't a whole lot an airline could do. However, as both US and international case law shows, the Convention protects all damages reasonably flowing from a delay on an eligible itinerary for things such as mechanical and staffing delay, as reasonable precautions have been intrepreted to include good maintenance standards and staff scheduling.

You are correct that a few cases have found that "unusual" mechanical fault is an exception to the Convention, but those cases are sparse and typically apply to cases like "device X was rated at 1000 hours and failed at 100 hours, which we could not prevent with good maintenance." A typical mechanical delay, such as the usual failing of a mechanical device or performance of maintenance, is a covered loss under Article 19.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 8:47 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
My two cents, we're getting way into the weeds. Each and every time I've misconnected and was going to miss a hotel reservation in my destination city, the hotel has always allowed me to change or cancel the reservation. I've never had one give me any push back. However, I usually call the hotel as soon as I know, not several days later.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 8:51 am
Suspended

If a night in a hotel is a big deal, make sure that you have travel insurance. Make sure that the travel insurance covers the items of concern. Or don't and assume the risk that once in a while you are out some cash. Or don't travel. Whatever you choose, move on with life.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
As an aside, the late night misconnects to South America in MIA can be a little silly. I arrived in MIA two hours late from an AA connection but still made it to the gate 15 minutes before departure. It would have been obvious to the GA that our flight was on the ground and just a couple of gates away.. Of course, by the time I had gotten to the gate, the doors were closed. After the plane left the gate, the GA's came out from the jetbridge, and announced they would book everyone on tomorrow's flight. It's not as if the planes aren't going to sit in South America for several hours before they come back to Miami ....
Old Mar 27, 2019, 12:16 pm
Suspended

The decision to hold an aircraft is made by the Operations team, not GA's. AA does hold aircraft, especially when it is the last or only flight of the day and ontime performance won't be affected. But, that isn't always the case and while the aircraft may have a long term at its SA destination, there may also be passengers with onwards connections, so it may not have been possible in your situation.

Ops is able to "see" where connecting passengers are and while the team may not know where you are physically in the terminal, it can estimate pretty well.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 12:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by Often1
The decision to hold an aircraft is made by the Operations team, not GA's. AA does hold aircraft, especially when it is the last or only flight of the day and ontime performance won't be affected. But, that isn't always the case and while the aircraft may have a long term at its SA destination, there may also be passengers with onwards connections, so it may not have been possible in your situation.

Ops is able to "see" where connecting passengers are and while the team may not know where you are physically in the terminal, it can estimate pretty well.
Perhaps ... then OPS would have known that I was on the ground and a couple of gates away and could easily be at the gate 15 minutes before departure. Yet, when I arrived at the gate 15 minutes before the departure, the plane was fully boarded and the door was closed. So obviously, someone gave away my seat (and the 15-20 others on my flight) well before 15 minutes.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 12:23 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by 87155
We had booked an award stay using SPG points for or hotel at our destination and we were past the cancelation period.
Originally Posted by Often1
If a night in a hotel is a big deal, make sure that you have travel insurance.
Does travel insurance routinely cover hotel award stays? How do they value the night? Rack rate? Price of miles? Some other number?
Old Mar 29, 2019, 10:18 am

March 2019, Gold Status, Traveling with two other family members

Leaving Belize City mid afternoon and the plane was on the runway ready for takeoff. We were diverted back to the gate to "pick up 2 passengers that had been diverted to the wrong gate".

Very small airport, story didn't pass smell test, must have been VIP passengers as there was another flight the next morning. Total delay arriving in Miami 1 hour +. I did not have connections but others did. I just arrived home an hour + late and not in time to retrieve dog from kennel Saturday pm so had to pay kennel until Monday and late to work Monday after retrieving dog.

Thoughts? ...thanks
Old Mar 29, 2019, 9:49 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by g8trgr8t
March 2019, Gold Status, Traveling with two other family members

Leaving Belize City mid afternoon and the plane was on the runway ready for takeoff. We were diverted back to the gate to "pick up 2 passengers that had been diverted to the wrong gate".

Very small airport, story didn't pass smell test, must have been VIP passengers as there was another flight the next morning. Total delay arriving in Miami 1 hour +. I did not have connections but others did. I just arrived home an hour + late and not in time to retrieve dog from kennel Saturday pm so had to pay kennel until Monday and late to work Monday after retrieving dog.

Thoughts? ...thanks
I know what you mean about "wrong gate". You see all the activity regardless of the gate you're sitting closest to, and you'd have to be oblivious or absent to miss the only AA boarding shortly before your flight time. (Looks like the DFW flight leaves an hour later?)

You're not going to get compensation for extra kennel cost or lost work. Maybe a small number of miles if you complain. Maybe.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 11:51 am

12 hours delay: compensation?

Friends of mine were returning from South America to the US on AA. The flight to the US (MIA) was severely delayed "due to late incoming aircraft". As a result, they missed their connecting flight (on the same ticket) and had to spend a night at the hotel (provided for by AA), taking a domestic flight to their final destination the next morning. They arrived with a delay of approximately 12 hours.
AA provided for the accommodation and food at MIA. Are they entitled for any further compensation due to the 12 hours delay?
Old Mar 30, 2019, 11:54 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by geosch
Friends of mine were returning from South America to the US on AA. The flight to the US (MIA) was severely delayed "due to late incoming aircraft". As a result, they missed their connecting flight (on the same ticket) and had to spend a night at the hotel (provided for by AA), taking a domestic flight to their final destination the next morning. They arrived with a delay of approximately 12 hours.
AA provided for the accommodation and food at MIA. Are they entitled for any further compensation due to the 12 hours delay?
If they write AA likely they will get some miles thrown their way. That's about it. I would not count on AA proactively giving them miles, even for a 12 hour delay.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Missed Flight with ESA

Had travel planned MCO-CLT-PVD for my ESA and I 3/31. Arrived early to airport and went to check in counter. SAC desk had been sent necessary forms weeks prior (I travel with dog regularly) but had not been completely processed on their end. Upon check in , the Supervisor asked for my doctors note. Upon further inspection she deemed that it was appropriate to call my doctors office to verify the note without my permission (HIPPA violation?). With no answer, she said that dog would not fly and she would not accept note. I stepped away and called the SAC desk. I emailed them the same forms I presented to the supervisor and ESA was successfully added to the reservation. Went back to get checked in 45 minutes before departure and she informed me that " there was no way I was going to make it", and when I told her I had PreCheck and would still like to try, she refused to check my luggage in. She said the best that she could do Ultimately I had to step away due to the frustration and pmed the Twitter team , who rebooked me the next day.
Any idea of what kind of compensation I should expect from this ? This Customer Service Coordinator was especially hostile and seemed like she was going out of her way to prevent me from getting on the plane. I understand that the ESA program is being abused, but as someone who follows the rules to a T and legitimately needs the service, it is extremely disappointing.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 12:45 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
My husband and I were scheduled to fly SFO-JFK-DCA this week in business (upgraded to C with miles), but a 6 hour maintenance delay on SFO-JFK (sigh) had us rerouted SFO-CLT-DCA arriving 4 hours late. SFO-CLT was rebooked into D and CLT-DCA in Y (no upgrade came through at the gate), but obviously the equipment and product was not the same as we had booked.

Any thoughts on what specific complaint I could make and what would be good compensation? The lateness sucked as it went from a 6 pm arrival to after 10 pm, but I guess that is what it is. My real annoyance is that we lost the lie flat on the transcon and ended up in a garbage LUS A321.

The other thing is that in the last few months I have made one or two other requests for compensation when being delayed just a few hours, so I don't want to overdo it in aggregate when nothing was really ruined in the grand scheme of things.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.