Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Are AA miles basically useless for US-Europe redemptions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are AA miles basically useless for US-Europe redemptions?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:37 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
There was plenty of J saver availability AUS-DUB in early January. A very good use of miles, as it was for a one-way, which is prohibitively expensive if purchased with cash. The flexibility to change the dates and flights with no penalty with my EXP status was a bonus.

To be sure, early January is probably not peak travel time to Ireland.
GTITAN and boerne like this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:07 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Picked up ORD-ATH in J super saver, suspect someone canceled,

They do open,
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scubadu
I truly hope you find a program or airline that meets your needs and delights you. As for my wife and I, we are moving towards the "free agent" model. Much less stressful than chasing status on one airline, etc.
I agree in general, but the free agent model is a lot less attractive when premium class fares are rising (especially relative to coach), which I see on many of my routes. I've been buying less domestic FC this past year vs. 1-2 years ago. So the elite status has become incrementally more important in not being treated like a peon. (Also, there's one elite benefit you can't buy - priority access in the reservation queue, especially during IRROPs).
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by scubadu
I sense a bit of sarcasm here, but honestly, making peace and/or making change is actually the only thing in this game YOU can actually control.
I was being 100% sincere, not sarcastic.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by dwugson
Yes TATL seats can be had but, as the OP said, using BA flights and fees. If you have status with AA I've found it more worthwhile to use my miles + cash to upgrade and with judicious booking, I'm successful most of the time. It certainly is less pricey than the horrendous taxes charged by BA.
Interesting. Can you explain the best way to do this? I'm actually not familiar with how to do miles plus cash on American.

Last edited by pdac1975; Feb 14, 2019 at 10:43 am
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pdac1975
Interesting. Can you the best way to do this? I'm actually not familiar with how to do miles plus cash on American.
https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...with-miles.jsp
Requesting a mileage upgrade award
Contact American Airlines Reservations or visit an American Airlines Travel Center or an Airport Ticket Office for assistance with booking your mileage upgrade award.

You may request an upgrade when you make your initial reservation or at any time prior to check-in. If you have already purchased a ticket and you wish to use a mileage upgrade award, please have your reservation details available when you call.

If an upgrade isn’t available at the time of booking, we’ll waitlist your request.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by enviroian
I was being 100% sincere, not sarcastic.
Fair enough and me too.

Safe travels.

Regards
Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP, HH LT Diamond
Thank you so much. This is a good option!
Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:09 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
I'm trying to figure out how to spend some Alaska miles on American and out of curiosity, I tried a search for VPS-DUB from Alaska's web site, which I understand should pull up American Saver inventory in some way. Only available option involved coach for the transatlantic leg, and involved some routings like

VPS-CLT-FLL-PHL-DUB
VPS-DFW-JAX-PHL-DUB

And a return of:

DUB-PHL-TPA-CLT-VPS

Now some of those would actually be cool for a mileage run if it priced out cheap enough on a paid ticket but when that's not in play, all it can really be is amusing and not feasible.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:30 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
And it’s going to be a little bit harder to use AA miles going to Asia on JAL from April. There is a report on the JAL threads that JAL will be offering flights for sale/redemption 360 days out vs. the current 330 days out which closely aligns with the AA booking window.

I have a trip to SIN booked for September this year. I started looking in early October and saw decent CX award availability in both F and J for my dates, but as I was outside the AA 331 day window, I couldn’t book anything. As the days wore on, F availability disappeared and J inventory declined. By the time the AA booking window opened, there was just 1 J option available which wasn’t ideal, but luckily JAL awards were available and I was able to book my desired date and then there was another week to wait before I could book the return. Those JAL awards are going to be a lot harder to snag going forward.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:28 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
I’ve all but given up on trying to use AA or BA miles for international J or F award tickets.

It just doesn’t seem to work well anymore. (I live in PHX).

So, I use all my transferable currencies by transferring them to SQ, which ALWAYS has tons of J availability to Asia.

I now only use my AA and BA miles/Avios for J and F upgrades on international flights. That works in my favor significantly moreso than trying to book award flights.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by 355F1
It just doesn’t seem to work well anymore. (I live in PHX).
Curious, how is availability , saver J or Y on the new LHR flights?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:18 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Originally Posted by Stripe
There was plenty of J saver availability AUS-DUB in early January. A very good use of miles, as it was for a one-way, which is prohibitively expensive if purchased with cash. The flexibility to change the dates and flights with no penalty with my EXP status was a bonus.

To be sure, early January is probably not peak travel time to Ireland.
This. We did this Jan 2018. we did a 2 day lay over in DUB and had a great time on tours with no crowds. Then on to Norway and northern lights. Super in expensive, relatively speaking. I haven't done a BA TATL redemption lately (since 2018) but there is an interesting component to paying the YQ if you are a gambler.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:38 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by pdac1975
Hello!
I hate to start such a negative thread but for the first time since moving over from DL, I'm trying to use AA miles to travel from WAS to Europe and am having no luck. I've looked at NAP, VCE, DUB, and LHR so far and all flights are coming back with BA segments which of course carry huge fees ($1,000+ per ticket). To be fair, I am looking for a May redemption so it may be too late/high season but I've been looking for months now. I think it's really the fact that AA doesn't seem to open up any award availability on their own metal that's frustrating. DL get's a bad rap for reward redeeming miles but I never had issues like this. I'm hoping that I'm just going about it wrong?
Thanks!
I just got a couple PHL-PRG for mid may. Economy which sucks but at least you can get there.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Phantom availability?

I am sure this has been asked and answered before, but I have not been able to find succinct answer. I'm trying to book a flight from East Coast ( MIA preferred) ... Biz Award...to Madrid (and then on to Morocco). Thinking of flying Iberia to Madrid.

Question: if award flights seem to be available on BA.com or Iberia.com ......but not available at AA.com, does that mean the space available on BA and Iberia are actually phantom availability? And therefore NOT bookable on AA.com? thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.