Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Advice DUB-DFW-LAS - Pre-Clearence Dublin and DFW MCT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

I've booked a DUB-DFW-LAS on 16th July. I think the DUB-DFW service is not yet up and running. Is it likely/confirmed it'll be a pre-clearence flight?

AA as they like to have shifted the times and my connection in DFW is now 39 minutes, and I understand this is below the MCT at DFW for Domestic to Domestic, albeit I don't think pre-clearence is really domestic anyway. Is that achievable if as I suspect it's pre-clearence? Obviously no chance if it's not. Not been to DFW in years, but my memory is of a Texas sized airport, which I know is AA's home base, and assume they have loads of gates. I'm in Business so hopefully among the first of the plane, but 39 minutes seems unlikely unless the gates happen to be adjacent.

Also, I'll have luggage, and would hate for it to miss the connection as I'm only in Vegas one night before commencing a 11 day drive to multiple places and not back in Vegas for the best part of two weeks, it would be nice to have a change of clothes during that time.

There's a later flight DFW-LAS, leaving 22:35 instead of 19:59. Would I be better asking AA to switch me to that, or just sit tight for a while and see if times change again.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:38 pm

39 minutes is terrible. Call AA and have them bump you to the next LAS flight because their schedule change put you under MCT.

Other option is to let it ride, and the worst case scenario is you end up in main cabin on a later flight.

Being proactive will yield a better result in the end.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:52 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT
For a highly experienced road warrior, assuming pre-clearance and an on-time arrival a 39 min DFW connection is theoretically doable, but i don't think your checked bags could make that even if everything went right. Your problem is that your flight to LAS is likely to depart Terminal A or C and you are arriving at D.

I agree with the 1st poster, call AA and get them to move you the 22:35 departure. They should do that for free given the schedule change. You should make that flight with no problem even if your inbound is delayed and should be able to relax in the brand new Flagship lounge for most of your layover if you want.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
For MCT purposes, doesn't AA still treat pre-cleared flights as "international"?
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
For MCT purposes, doesn't AA still treat pre-cleared flights as "international"?
I know AUA/NAS/FPO are considered domestic flights for MCT purposes. A “quick”* search shows AA willing to sell connections from DUB that way as well.**

*It actually took me longer than I would’ve liked.
**On AA-AA connections, in any case.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

A similar thread is here

Anyone ever get MCT overruled? JFK EY-AA

re EY flights from AUH (Pre clearance) to AA at JFK and I think the BA1 from LCY ( Pre clearance at Shannon) also runs into a I-D MCT issue of 2 hrs

Regards

TBS
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Djokison

I know AUA/NAS/FPO are considered domestic flights for MCT purposes. A “quick”* search shows AA willing to sell connections from DUB that way as well.**

*It actually took me longer than I would’ve liked.
**On AA-AA connections, in any case.
OK.

There's a current thread about an EY-AA connection at JFK that indicates that the EY flight that is pre-cleared at AUH is considered "international" for MCT purposes. But I guess that that is simply EY's decision.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Thank you all. I think I'll call and ask for the later flight.

One more bit of help, I booked through Amex Travel, was taking advantage of an offer. Can I call AA or do I need to go through Amex? I know travel agent bookings are different with some airlines to direct ones.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.