Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Rollaboards and carry on banned out of CRP?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2019, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

My son just flew Corpus Christi (CRP) to Jackson WY and they made him check his rollerboard... AA said anything on wheels now gets checked! I looked up what is allowed on AA.com and it still lists 1 personal item and 1 carry-on with a picture of a wheeled suitcase.

Is this just mickey mouse Corpus doing this or are others having the same problem. My daughter in law flew last month and went through the same thing.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
Originally Posted by scubamom
My son just flew Corpus Christi (CRP) to Jackson WY and they made him check his rollerboard... AA said anything on wheels now gets checked! I looked up what is allowed on AA.com and it still lists 1 personal item and 1 carry-on with a picture of a wheeled suitcase.

Is this just mickey mouse Corpus doing this or are others having the same problem. My daughter in law flew last month and went through the same thing.
Can you provide flight numbers? I’d be willing to bet those flights were on regional jets and yes they gate check all wheel bags

Did a quick search and looks like crp is served by a mix of erj and crj jets. I’d put money on your son being on a crj or erj jet

you gate check roller bags on the crj but can sometime get a roller onto an erj but even then crp seems like regional jets only. Leaving room for error on my part but perhaps ask your son how big the plane was and then blame aa?
Softwizard and nancypants like this.

Last edited by JY1024; Feb 8, 2019 at 8:29 pm Reason: Merged consecutive posts
Old Feb 8, 2019, 4:18 pm

Do you mean checked as in (1) you had to pay or (2) you couldn't physically carry it on and just left it on the jetbridge?
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Daughter in law just updated... it is any size bag, including small personal ones with wheels.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 5:16 pm

Programs: QF WP
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 6:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is the typical thread where someone reports what someone else says, gets it wrong and then doesn't read the clear language on the AA website.

There is nothing new here. Presuming a CRJ, as I presume the daughter-in-law would agree if she, not the MIL, were posting, the bins are far too small and thus larger bags, including those with wheels are gate-checked.

Been this way for a good 20 years.
Softwizard, E55 and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Looking at CRP-JAC it connects in DFW, with a mix of E175 and CRJ900s for the first leg, the E175 can accommodate a limited number of roller boards in the OHB as the right side has full sized bins. AA 5756 looks to be a CRJ900 while 3609 is E175 so seems your son was on 5756 and the GA was correct, that plane does not have OHBs that can hold a roller board. Now they typically do gate delivery of those bags so you get them in the jetway after landing rather than baggage claim.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
My understanding is that this is really less about the plane than about the carrier's certificate from the FAA. The regional carriers (Piedmont, Skywest, GoJet, etc etc) have their own operating certificates and some of these explicitly state no wheeled luggage in the planes. Actually the operating certificate could also be by plane, meaning that you need to know the carrier and the plane type in order to know if your small wheelie can go onboard.
Softwizard, wrp96, E55 and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Daughter in law just updated... it is any size bag, including small personal ones with wheels.
Did you read the replies in this thread? If so, it would help the discussion if you would reply to them.

In all likelihood, the aircraft CRP-DFW was one of the regional jets in which rollaboard bags are valet-checked, meaining left on the jetbridge at departure and picked up on the jetbridge upon arrival.

It might also be possible that the passenger was travelling on aircraft that has large enough bins for rollaboards, but the passenger was in a late boarding group, and the bins were full, resulting in gate checking of bags.

OP needs to provide more info before blaming the airline or the gate agents.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bse118

In all likelihood, the aircraft CRP-DFW was one of the regional jets in which rollaboard bags are valet-checked, meaining left on the jetbridge at departure and picked up on the jetbridge upon arrival.
Its not a likelihood, its a certainty:
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/AAL3609
Aircraft Type
Embraer 170/175 (twin-jet) (E170)

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/AAL5756
Aircraft Type
Canadair Regional Jet CRJ-900 (twin-jet) (CRJ9)
Old Feb 8, 2019, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ryan182
Its not a likelihood, its a certainty:
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/AAL3609
Aircraft Type
Embraer 170/175 (twin-jet) (E170)

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/AAL5756
Aircraft Type
Canadair Regional Jet CRJ-900 (twin-jet) (CRJ9)
Well, if it was the CR9 flight, then yes, a certainty.

If the E70/75 flight, then, no not a certainty, as that plane can take some rollaboards. As you posted earlier:

Originally Posted by ryan182
Looking at CRP-JAC it connects in DFW, with a mix of E175 and CRJ900s for the first leg, the E175 can accommodate a limited number of roller boards in the OHB as the right side has full sized bins.
Antarius and nancypants like this.

Last edited by bse118; Feb 8, 2019 at 8:17 pm
Old Feb 9, 2019, 6:37 am
Original Poster

I posted a long reply and it didn't "take"... so here's the 2nd attempt. Yes, daughter in law told hubby who told me about this. Evidently it's about ANY size bag on wheels, such as briefcases or personal bags on wheels that have to be valet checked. Items carrying papers or things that one needs to access during flight. Don't know if that is just Corpus or all airports. But it's annoying.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
I posted a long reply and it didn't "take"... so here's the 2nd attempt. Yes, daughter in law told hubby who told me about this. Evidently it's about ANY size bag on wheels, such as briefcases or personal bags on wheels that have to be valet checked. Items carrying papers or things that one needs to access during flight. Don't know if that is just Corpus or all airports. But it's annoying.
Thanks for posting the details. Yea its definitely annoying, but there have been reports of certain regional carriers requiring you to gate check certain bags even if they fit fine in the smaller bins.

no rollaboards allowed in overhead on CRJ-900?
Old Feb 9, 2019, 7:19 am
Original Poster

What is so annoying is that they used to be allowed on our regionals. Any more, one has no idea what's going to happen when checking in for a flight here. (at least with AA). The good news is that we have great TSA folks and always have.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:12 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Can we get some clarification on terminology here? And maybe a rule created?

There seems to be two type of luggage operations:

one where you hand a bag to an employee at an airport (either at a front airport ticketing counter, or at the gate podium, or at the bottom of the jetbridge/aircraft door. The expectation is your handing over of that bag will result in the printing of an airline luggage tag, the tendering of a luggage tag receipt, and the expectation that you will be getting your bag returned to you ONLY at a baggage claim/baggage carousel.

two where you hand your baggage to an employee or place it on the floor at the bottom of the jet bridge/aircraft door. The expectation here is that once you deplane at your destination, an employee will bring the bag up to you (I know of at least three methods for this), and you are given your bag for you to continue your trip (i.e., you do not have to go to the baggage claim). These bags are tagged. I've seen them tagged with yellow tags, red, tags, and pink tags (IIRC, yellow was for a coach class passenger on a singe class jet (CRJ, ERD, DH8), red tags for first class passengers on smaller dual class jet (CR7, CR9), and pink tags (bags to be returned after landing on larger regional jets and mainline jets).

My understanding is that the former is called "checking" or (where done inside the secure gate area) "gate checking" while the latter is called "valet checking".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.