Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Would you use AA miles or pay cash for this Australia domestic flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would you use AA miles or pay cash for this Australia domestic flight?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2019, 5:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I dom't care about wine or beer ( cheap or expensive ) - even the soft drink offerings in the Qantas lounges are dismal

drinks wise, it does have tea bags , so can make an ok cup of tea

Going from MEL-SYD, however, as the OP is considering ( rather than SYD-MEL ) , there is no Priority Pass cafe offering , which is a real shame
Happy likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
How many miles are you earning on Qantas? Unless it's a lot more than I'm thinking, I'd save the money and go Jetstar. We flew them around the country and it was just as good as Qantas, especially on such a a short flight.

Or whatever one has a better schedule, though I suspect you can hop on any of them at about any time.

FWIW, Jetstar is wholly owned by Quantas.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 8:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The distance MEL-SYD is 439 miles - at 25% earning ( which such a cheap fare would be ) , that is 110 miles base plus a gold bonus of 44 , giving 154 miles total for $15
Old Feb 5, 2019, 11:32 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Unless you have no future use for your points, 10k points for $80 does not sound like a good deal to me.
10k miles to save AUD$80, or ≈USD$60. That's 0.6 US cents per mile. No matter how you slice it, AA miles are worth more than that, so +1 that this is not a good use of miles unless the OP has so many miles sitting around that they'll never use them (or only 10k AA miles and just wants to be rid of them); with 55k miles in the account, that definitely doesn't seem like a good move.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA PPro
I'm in the same boat, but the flights I want are $135 for 10k miles on american. EQD is only $47 for a flight that I would pay $135 for. Two other issues, 1) as EXP, I will have access to the qantas first lounge which does have nice amenities and 2), I can transfer 4500 points from Chase to Avios and save myself 5k miles so that might be my better option.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tfizzle
I'm in the same boat, but the flights I want are $135 for 10k miles on American. EQD is only $47 for a flight that I would pay $135 for.
Two other issues, 1) as EXP, I will have access to the Qantas first lounge which does have nice amenities and 2), I can transfer 4500 points from Chase to Avios and save myself 5k miles so that might be my better option.
AA Exp = OW Emerald = QF Platinum.
QF First class lounges are only for departures on international flights. You will not have access to these lounges for an Au domestic flight. (QF9 is an exception).
You will have access to the QF club and the slightly better QF domestic business lounge, at airports where these exist.

For $135 (Au or US?) I would not be spending 10,000 ff miles. Avios can be good value for QF business class flights. What is the route?

OP's other thread (which has gone off topic)---->Help a confused American choose a flight between Mel and Syd
Old Feb 6, 2019, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
AA Exp = OW Emerald = QF Platinum.
QF First class lounges are only for departures on international flights. You will not have access to these lounges for an Au domestic flight. (QF9 is an exception).
You will have access to the QF club and the slightly better QF domestic business lounge, at airports where these exist.

For $135 (Au or US?) I would not be spending 10,000 ff miles. Avios can be good value for QF business class flights. What is the route?

OP's other thread (which has gone off topic)---->Help a confused American choose a flight between Mel and Syd
i dont think Avios is good for QF business class flights unless for very short routes. Last time I look, Avios priced QF business class much higher than the 20K AA due to the AU domestic routes I checked, went above the band for the best value of 20K Avios, and are charged by the pts of the next band - I was shocked to see over 30K Avios needed on some routes I looked at.

i would take any PP contracted restaurants if available anytime over QF domestic business lounges which are very meh - worse than the improved US domestic lounges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.