Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Help a confused American choose a flight between Mel and Syd

Old Feb 5, 19, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold

Hello everyone,

I will be in Australia next month and need to book an internal flight from Melbourne to Sydney. I will have one checked bag and I have One World Ruby benefits (through American Airlines). Which airline would you choose:
Tigerair- $51USD
Jet Star- $65USD
Virgin- $91USD
Qantas- $94USD

From what I have read, the first two choices will require me to pay an additional amount for a standard large checked bag. How much am I looking at? At this point, I am leaning towards Qantas because it includes the bag and my status may be useful for seat selection. I have also read that the budget carriers have issues with on-time performance.

Last edited by georgina80; Feb 5, 19 at 10:53 am
Old Feb 5, 19, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by georgina80 View Post
Tigerair- $51USD
Jet Star- $65USD
Virgin- $91USD
Qantas- $94USD

From what I have read, the first two choices will require me to pay an additional amount for a checked bag. How much am I looking at?
Each airline's website will tell you:-You will see that it depends on how much you want to bring; "one bag" is not enough information.
Old Feb 5, 19, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The answer is in your other thread--->Would you use AA miles or pay cash for this Australia domestic flight?

OW Ruby will not do much for you.

Look at the .com.au web sites or select "Australia" as location in top right of screen. You may be paying too much in US$.

Wth JQ you can pay Au$23 for 20kg or Au$40 for a bundle which includes 20kg, seat selection & snack.

Note in Australian carry-on size & weight is enforced. 2 x 7kg with QF and 1 x 7kg with the others.
Old Feb 5, 19, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post

Wth JQ you can pay Au$23 for 20kg or Au$40 for a bundle which includes 20kg, seat selection & snack.

Note in Australian carry-on size & weight is enforced. 2 x 7kg with QF and 1 x 7kg with the others.
This is what I am after, couldn't find this on the website. For this minimal price difference, what's the point of going with a low-cost carrier? Thanks.

Didn't think it was appropriate to post further Australia-specific questions on the other post.
Old Feb 5, 19, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

of Jetstar, Virgin and Qantas , there is very little difference and would just go with whichever works out the lowest cost

If you don't have luggage, then Jetstarwould be USD29 cheaper than Qantas and USD26 less than Virgin - with luggage the difference shrinks

There is very little difference between the 3
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 5, 19, 12:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'd go with Qantas. During IROPs or other problems, having some status can be very helpful. It's a cheap flight anyway.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 5, 19, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Aussie here. Go Virgin or Qantas.

Don't even consider Tiger. If there's a flight delay your next available flight could be in a day or two.
littlegreenman and extrablatt like this.
Old Feb 5, 19, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
I'd go with Qantas. During IROPs or other problems, having some status can be very helpful. It's a cheap flight anyway.
Thank you. This is why I posted here. As a foreigner, I had no way of knowing this.
Old Feb 5, 19, 1:11 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
If flying towards the end of the day, I’d avoid JQ and choose QF instead. If JQ is having a bad day with schedules, there’s more chance of being delayed whereas QF has more flights and can easily move people to different flights as needed.
Old Feb 5, 19, 2:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold AVIS Presidents Club
My advice- Relax and enjoy the propect of a short comfortable internal flight Downunder. JQ, QF or Virgin will be more than OK Im sure (based on my numerous experiences after spending 20 years living in (and out) of Australia). Virgin have nice leather seats, QF and JQ ? - not sure as Im normally up the front in QF on Avios points. Jetstar can be anal (overly strict) about carry on weight (7kg?). All airlines appear to have reasonably happy proactive staff ( they are living in Austrralia after all where the weather and the minimum wage are not too bad and penalty rates apply at weekends etc to many workers (1.5 x on Sat, 2x on Sun).Only aerosols are forbidden at security and after security (Qantas at least) you just wander off to the gate (5 mins) and board when requested about 30 mins before departure ( comfortable gate boarding areas where you can buy a coffee if you wish whilst waiting). I think QF and VA give you a free snack and drink unlike some in Europe (BA please note!) . Probably too much information but domestic in Oz is a pleasure in my experience compared to some flights here in Europe. One tip is that if you wish to avoid a 3 and 3 config (possible middle seat - although as OW Ruby you should be able to select your seat ahead of the pack, look for the A330 which flies several times a day giving you 2 plus 2 seating = - 0800, 1000, 1300 departures are examples (on a Saturday at least). I shall be doing the same route in reverse in 2 weeks and am currently pontificating over the long haul ticket from Europe - Y and save, J and spend, F and treat (upgrade with voucher) FWP I know. Enjoy Australia.

OF
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 5, 19, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Take Qantas. Ruby status has some minor benefits such as premium check-in.

And with Qantas or Virgin you'll get a free snack and drink (or wine in the afternoon/evening) and some inflight entertainment.

This puts those carriers ahead of Jetstar. Tiger - don't even consider it.
Old Feb 5, 19, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM),AS MVP Gold 75K, AA Exec Plat, FB Gold, BA Gold, DL Plat Medallion, MH Enrich Platinum
Originally Posted by Annalisa12 View Post
Aussie here. Go Virgin or Qantas.

Don't even consider Tiger. If there's a flight delay your next available flight could be in a day or two.
Since an AA gold- QF would be my choice.
Old Feb 5, 19, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Premium check in doesn't really make any issue with self service check in - never seen any wait of note at any self service machine
OldFruity and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 5, 19, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
Premium check in doesn't really make any issue with self service check in - never seen any wait of note at any self service machine
Good for you!

But it's there if needed. (I don't really 'need' it in the States either with self-service but I always use it. Simpler just to hand my passport and bag to someone than have to muck around doing everything myself.)
Old Feb 5, 19, 3:54 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG,OW Emerald
Originally Posted by OldFruity View Post
Only aerosols are forbidden at security and after security (Qantas at least)
Not exactly on topic but I feel the need to jump on this. For many years I thought the same thing and did not travel with my favorite shave gel. I then found out that small aerosols are allowed subject to being protected against inadvertent operation (ie it has a cap). Yes they ask to see them at security - I produced it and it goes through all OK.
OldFruity and nancypants like this.

Search this Thread