Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Passport expires before flight - OK to book?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2019, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors - Diamond, AA - EXP

im looking to book some award travel through AA on partner airlines for the summer, however my children’s passports will need to be renewed before the flights. Is there an issue making the reservations now with the current passport details and updating them when we get the passports renewed in a couple of weeks? If this was just AA I probably wouldn’t have a concern, as it was fine for me to change my passport details after a reservation when my own passport was replaced after water damage late last year but with all this travel being on partner airlines I’m a little less comfortable that it will be a trouble free process to change the details. Any experience?
Old Feb 3, 2019, 8:43 am

You’ll have no issues at all making the bookings. I’ve just sent off my passport for renewal with summer international travel already ticketed.
robofski and NYC Flyer like this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AndyAA
You’ll have no issues at all making the bookings. I’ve just sent off my passport for renewal with summer international travel already ticketed.
Thanks for swift response.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 10:19 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The day you book, no problem. The day of flight, they’ll verify your travel documents.
robofski and Fanjet like this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
It should also be noted that you don't even have to enter a passport to book.

You have to enter it prior to checking in and show it at the airport.
JDiver, robofski, FAA1996 and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott/SPG, AMEX
Not sure what partner you are flying but check their requirements for when passport info must be entered. AA is 24 hours prior but BA is 72 hours. I found this out recently when my husband had to book a flight while waiting for an expedited passport renewal. Both AA and BA were very helpful in noting his account and letting us know what documentation he should have, if he missed the 72 hour "deadline". Fortunately, he got his passport in plenty of time to update his account.
JDiver and robofski like this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
If the flight was from the UK to the US then the 72 hours is likely related to the CBP no longer supposedly doing immediate ESTA approvals.
robofski likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by josmul123
It should also be noted that you don't even have to enter a passport to book.

You have to enter it prior to checking in and show it at the airport.
I don’t know why I thought you had to supply the API at booking but you are of course quite right not required to book so I’ve got plenty of time to get the passports renewed and we got our 4 BA F seats ticketed already!!
hipquest likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott/SPG, AMEX
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
If the flight was from the UK to the US then the 72 hours is likely related to the CBP no longer supposedly doing immediate ESTA approvals.
It was US to UK.

Posting this info ​​​​​​​as a point of reference if this comes up in a search.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 8:05 am

Yes, you'll be fine. We hadn't even applied for our son's passport when we booked tickets for travel to London in May (tickets were purchased in December and we applied for his passport in January).
robofski likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.