Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Can someone else check baggage in for me?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2019, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Independ

Is someone able to explain the process of the actual baggage check in when you arrive at the airport? I have a meeting tomorrow and am going to be cutting it close on making my flight so I was hoping to send a friend to check my bag in for me so I can get through the airport faster. Is this possible? Can you explain why or why not?
Old Jan 28, 2019, 5:38 pm

Programs: AA ConciergeKey, Hertz PC , Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
They won’t let anyone check your bag in except you. There are a various security reasons for that.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
You have to show ID to check baggage so your friend cannot check baggage in under a reservation in your name.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 5:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
A one word answer, "no". The two word answer is "absolutely not".

Make sure you check the deadlines for baggage at the airport from which you depart. The deadline means being at the counter, not in line.
tampatravel likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by drewp43
Is someone able to explain the process of the actual baggage check in when you arrive at the airport? I have a meeting tomorrow and am going to be cutting it close on making my flight so I was hoping to send a friend to check my bag in for me so I can get through the airport faster. Is this possible? Can you explain why or why not?
They don't want a passenger to check a bag, then not fly on that airplane. That would be an obvious way for a non-suicidal bomber to operate.

Lots of people rely on carry-on luggage, only, so they can get through the airport faster. Also note, AA like other airlines has a checked bag cut-off time. I believe it is 45 minutes before a scheduled domestic departure.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

So you are saying they don't scan my bag after a check it? At all. That can't be true
Old Jan 28, 2019, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tampatravel
They won’t let anyone check your bag in except you. There are a various security reasons for that.
Such as? Dont they scan your bag after you check it anyway?
Old Jan 28, 2019, 6:03 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
So you are saying they don't scan my bag after a check it? At all. That can't be true
What do you mean by scan? The bags are scanned at various points as part of the bag tracking process.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 6:04 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I've never done it, but if you print off a luggage tag at a kiosk, do they check ID when you turn your bag in?
Old Jan 28, 2019, 6:19 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by aztimm
I've never done it, but if you print off a luggage tag at a kiosk, do they check ID when you turn your bag in?
Yes, they do.
Often1 likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by aztimm
Yeah, they should be checking your ID, your boarding pass and verifying your destination.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 6:23 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
It's not possible. And, I can explain why it's not possible: because they won't let you do it.

As for the procedure, it depends on which airport. Assuming no status, economy passenger, at most airports you would be required to check in at a kiosk. The bag tag will either print at the kiosk or at an agent. Then you bring your bags to a "bag drop" agent, who weighs the bag, checks your ID, and puts on the bag. At some stations there are no kiosks and you would have to wait in line to check in with an agent. If you have status or are in F/J, you can check in at the first class line that exists at some airports. This may save you a little bit of time but not always (often, only one agent is working this line). Bottom line, one way or another you need to be standing in front of the agent with your bag tag printed out (by you or the agent) *before* the cut off.

If you think you might miss your flight by less than 2 hours, search this forum for "Flat tire rule" and read that thread.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Such as? Dont they scan your bag after you check it anyway?
Such as someone else adding something that could be dangerous to the flight or contraband (ie drugs/explosives/customs violations) to your bag without your knowledge. Electronic screening of bags doesn't pick up everything, and TSA doesn't manually screen all checked bags. For me, I get about 25% of my checked bags screened (you get a paper inside saying TSA inspected your bag).
Old Jan 28, 2019, 6:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
TSA has screened 100% of all checked luggage since early in 2003. That is 16 years ago.

Does that mean that every bag is opened and searched? No. Same as with carry-on. Bags are searched when the 100% scanning indicates a reason to search and in addition, a random sampling is also searched.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I never fail to be amazed sometimes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.