Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Consolidator fares question - can I earn AA EQM, EQD etc.?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2019, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me

Done a search, but my search skills are lacking.

After our DFW-CDG on 12/19, MrsDallas49er will TRY not fly AA. And due to back, hip, and knee problems, she really needs J or better

She is looking at consolidator fares for 2019 and 2020 travel. Separate trips include SYD, HKG (and FOC) x2, PVG, NRT x 2, CDG x6+, and x flights to pick up a cruise or two.

OUR Conflict:

While I have whined about AA premium service and have (un)successfully threatened to leave AA, truth be told, I like/love/adore status, EXP, and lounge access and love how (sarcasm) lowly, rotten, stinkin', EXPs are treated during IRROPS.

The question-IF I join her on the consolidator flights, will I get EQD, EQM, and EQS on AA or codeshares? Or will I fly alone?

Thank you in advance. Fly safely, all.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 9:13 am

You need to provide more details, the term consolidator is often misused here.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 10:15 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Consolidators still exist?
Old Jan 27, 2019, 10:21 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The most prominent ads I’ve seen seem to be for those selling award flights with miles they’ve purchased from gullible or greedy people. Those come with significant risk, and of course earn nothing regardless of whether the seller was paid or not. I’d say caveat emptor.

Consolidators used to be common; we used to rent office space to one. After years in the business, they folded. I also recall most of their bargains were on second tier or lower airlines.

I also had an excellent agent in Fiji, who knew how to drill down and find great fares, at least to and in the South Pacific and Asia. Unfortunately, Mike passed away ~1.5 years ago.
watersign likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 27, 2019 at 2:13 pm
Old Jan 27, 2019, 11:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dallas49er
Done a search, but my search skills are lacking.

After our DFW-CDG on 12/19, MrsDallas49er will TRY not fly AA. And due to back, hip, and knee problems, she really needs J or better

She is looking at consolidator fares for 2019 and 2020 travel. Separate trips include SYD, HKG (and FOC) x2, PVG, NRT x 2, CDG x6+, and x flights to pick up a cruise or two.

OUR Conflict:

While I have whined about AA premium service and have (un)successfully threatened to leave AA, truth be told, I like/love/adore status, EXP, and lounge access and love how (sarcasm) lowly, rotten, stinkin', EXPs are treated during IRROPS.

The question-IF I join her on the consolidator flights, will I get EQD, EQM, and EQS on AA or codeshares? Or will I fly alone?

Thank you in advance. Fly safely, all.
Looks like:

"departure is severely delayed or cancelled"

Free agency. An AA loyalist no more - YMMV

EXP for 2019 going free agent - Warning YMMV

And, as other point out, find out what it is you're actually buying before that misunderstanding leads to future fulminAAtions.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 3:46 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
If "consolidator" means "bulk fare" like Expedia or AAVacations you would have all your benefits (also assuming not BE). But any other definition might be of of the risky ones already mentioned.
JDiver and NYC Flyer like this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 4:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I've bought legitimate consolidator tickets years ago ... but think today, a legitimate consolidator ticket on the US is likely to be a fifth freedom route from a low tier airline. Seems like there were things like Pakistan Airlines that had technical stops in London because they couldn't make it to Pakistan.

I'm skeptical there is a way to get legitimate consolidator tickets on the routes you want on any carrier remotely in the league of AA.

Does Priceline still have an auction for airline tickets or is that gone?
Old Jan 28, 2019, 4:47 am

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
I bought a one way ticket last year MIA-MAD-VIE which had booked into an M bucket for about $240. I got about 8500 miles and 777 EQDs for that flight.
I also more frequently buy business class tickets which are way less than most, they always come on Finnair ticket stock and the AA flight is an AY code share while IB or BA flights are typically not. They post as regular I fares.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 6:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The answer is clear. If a "consolidator fare" then "no." But, what is not clear is whether the tickets on offer are issued as "consolidator fares" or whether the issuer simply uses that term to describe a cheap ticket. The latter would include all manner of frauds such as redemptions purchased by a miles broker and the former is entirely legitimate. Consolidators still exist, but they largely market to businesses which have specific needs.

You will need to supply a good deal more information to determine whether the outfit you are considering is legitimate and if so, whether the tickets it sells are eligible.

"Certain airline tickets are not eligible for earning mileage credit. These include, without limitation, the following: all tickets issued as AAdvantage® awards or other free ticket promotions including free or reduced rate tickets; companion tickets; charter flight tickets; travel agency/industry reduced rate tickets; infant tickets; items occupying a purchased seat; unpublished fare tickets, including consolidator fares, tickets issued as a result of a fare published inadvertently or by mistake and tickets issued subject to special provisions"

Last edited by Often1; Jan 28, 2019 at 9:08 am
Old Jan 28, 2019, 7:10 am

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Also see:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...cial-fares.jsp

It specifically mentions consolidator fares and in my example above (the $240 oneway to Vienna) this formula applied to my AA flight. The ticket seemed to have been eligible for upgrades. The flight was J0 from the time I booked it. But I was able to get on the upgrade list, it just didn't clear.

So based on this, at least "some" consolidator fares are eligible for mile accrual.

Earning award miles and elite qualifying credits

Some fares (such as bulk or consolidator fares) earn award miles and Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) at a modified rate based on a percentage of the distance flown as determined by the booking code.*

Special fares are often purchased through a specialized agent, third party or as part of a package including air transportation and lodging.

Examples:
  1. Bulk fares
  2. Cruise fares
  3. Consolidator fares
  4. Discounted or inclusive tour packages
  5. Vacation packages, including select American Airlines Vacations® packages. For Vacations, special fares are marked with an asterisk (*) after the booking code in the AAVacations.com booking path.
  6. Other tickets where the fare isn't disclosed, excluding bookings made through priceline.com or hotwire.com where the carrier isn't disclosed before buying
NYC Flyer likes this.

Last edited by flying_geek; Jan 28, 2019 at 9:22 am
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Consolidators still exist?
Yes, and there are a number of them with decades-long relationships with major airlines (all three US legacies market through consolidators on flights to various international destinations).

Originally Posted by Aliquot
You need to provide more details, the term consolidator is often misused here.
True...a legitimate consolidator sells tickets under bulk commitments contracted directly with the airline. Prices are set by the consolidator, but tickets are issued by the operating carrier like any published fare. In most cases, your credit card will be processed using the ticketing carrier's merchant account as well. Buying/Selling awards or miles is an entirely different thing and violates multiple terms the buyer and seller have agreed to with the airlines.

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I've bought legitimate consolidator tickets years ago ... but think today, a legitimate consolidator ticket on the US is likely to be a fifth freedom route from a low tier airline. Seems like there were things like Pakistan Airlines that had technical stops in London because they couldn't make it to Pakistan.

I'm skeptical there is a way to get legitimate consolidator tickets on the routes you want on any carrier remotely in the league of AA.
AA, BA, CX, DL, SQ, UA...and most others all sell through consolidators. I've not seen one on AA that does not earn miles, but they may exist. I'm sure there are CX economy fares ineligible as well.

You are not going to fly USA-Asia for $1,500 r/t in business class on any legitimate revenue ticket, but PE for $800-$1,000, business for $2,800-$3,500, etc. are easily obtained, depending on city pair. In addition, consolidators sell seats without the advance ticketing or round-trip travel requirements of many low-price published fares, and may have more generous change/cancel terms vs a published fare. Need to fly one-way to London tomorrow? Expect a much better deal in economy using a consoldiator vs booking direct. This can add real value.

Just be careful, as many OTAs that sell consolidator tickets tack on their own service fees for changes, cancellation, seat selection, etc, in addition to the penalties of the fare rue. Do your research and know who you're buying from.

Last edited by NYC Flyer; Jan 28, 2019 at 1:29 pm
Old Jan 28, 2019, 5:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
The next time you are about to start a bizarre, ranting post in this forum, I sincerely hope you will pause and take a few minutes to re-read this very post, in your very own words.

Because if you don't, many of us will absolutely be quoting it back to you...

Regards

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.